Civil & Environmental Engineering - Fall 2018 Applicants

strawberrykat

On 2/20/2018 at 6:48 AM, BobW said:

I was accepted into Stanford for MS in structural engineering. I applied in late November, and for some reason, I reckoned that my chance would increase if I do not indicate intent for financial aid. Now I'm stuck with the conundrum of whether or not its financially feasible to shell out 100k for a 1-year MS degree. On one hand, it's a once in a life-time opportunity to live and study near Palo Alto, on the other hand, it's so god damn expensive....

Could you share your undergrad school /gpa/gre scores? Trying to get a few for the pool

Does anyone have any update on MIT? I applied for MST. I checked past years' posts and the results would not come out until around 3/7. Any chance we can get our decision earlier?...

18 minutes ago, LEIRA_ said:

@ibtesI also applied MIT and from the CEE website they are saying the decision would be sent out on the week of March 1st which is next week. I guess you can email them to see if you can get the decision earlier..? I am not sure haha GOOD LUCK!!!

I saw that note too, but from past results I would say it’s more likely to be the week after next week (the first “full” week of March). 

Indeed I complied an email yesterday but my friend discouraged me from sending it. I guess I will send it anyway. 

To those who were accepted or rejected for the Stanford Structural M.S. program, did you receive an email to check the portal? My application is currently at "complete", with nothing else available in the applyweb portal.

- Did you apply before/on the "with aid" December deadline, or the "without aid" January deadline?

- Was there a message in the portal?

Please advise!

Edited by bigboots02

Applied to Stanford's Sustainable Design and Construction program within the Civil and Environmental Engineering dept.. Still anxiously awaiting a decision. Almost thinking it's an implied rejection. But I'd just like to know so I can move on with what I'll be doing come Fall.

4 hours ago, bigboots02 said:

To those who were accepted or rejected for the Stanford Structural M.S. program, did you receive an email to check the portal? My application is currently at "complete", with nothing else available in the applyweb portal.

- Did you apply before/on the "with aid" December deadline, or the "without aid" January deadline?

- Was there a message in the portal?

Please advise!

Same, at least for the Civil program. I applied 6 days after the priority deadline, so am wondering if that affects when I'll hear back. When did you apply?

28 minutes ago, laekkauai said:

Same, at least for the Civil program. I applied 6 days after the priority deadline, so am wondering if that affects when I'll hear back. When did you apply?

I applied on the last day (Jan 9), but that’s because I spent a bit of time every day working on 6 applications while traveling back and forth and having 2 full time jobs.

For people asking about Stanford: I did not receive an email to check the portal. I applied after the priority deadline and checked my application status frequently and about 4-5 weeks later saw that the portal had a "decision letter" link. After that, I began to receive emails about the Open House. But there was no official email. This was for MS/PhD. 

The letter said that financial aid notifications should go out mid to late March I believe. 

2 hours ago, strawberrykat said:

For people asking about Stanford: I did not receive an email to check the portal. I applied after the priority deadline and checked my application status frequently and about 4-5 weeks later saw that the portal had a "decision letter" link. After that, I began to receive emails about the Open House. But there was no official email. This was for MS/PhD. 

The letter said that financial aid notifications should go out mid to late March I believe. 

Thank you so much for this information! So interesting that they did not send an official email to you. Hopefully I still have a chance. I've been checking applyweb incessantly for the past couple weeks. I come from a non-engineering background so don't have much confidence.

5 hours ago, laekkauai said:

Thank you so much for this information! So interesting that they did not send an official email to you. Hopefully I still have a chance. I've been checking applyweb incessantly for the past couple weeks. I come from a non-engineering background so don't have much confidence.

I also have a non-engineering background and just got my acceptance letter, so don't lose hope! I applied for the MS/PhD EES program after the priority deadline, received an email about sending official transcripts about 2 weeks ago, and then received an email notice saying my decision letter was available the day after they got my transcripts. I really do think theyre still making admission decisions, even though it seems like a lot of people have already heard back. Good luck, I hope you get in!

It really sucks that they aren't releasing the financial aid decissions until (presumably) after the visit day. I really dont want to spend the money to visit if it turns out attending isn't even feasible for me financially..

6 hours ago, 1PhDplz said:

I also have a non-engineering background and just got my acceptance letter, so don't lose hope! I applied for the MS/PhD EES program after the priority deadline, received an email about sending official transcripts about 2 weeks ago, and then received an email notice saying my decision letter was available the day after they got my transcripts. I really do think theyre still making admission decisions, even though it seems like a lot of people have already heard back. Good luck, I hope you get in!

It really sucks that they aren't releasing the financial aid decissions until (presumably) after the visit day. I really dont want to spend the money to visit if it turns out attending isn't even feasible for me financially..

Thanks for that sliver of hope - hope it applies for social science backgrounds as well! 

Good luck and hoping you receive all the financial aid/fellowship you need! I totally agree with you. On the one hand, Stanford's SDC program would be a dream, but on the other, the thought of the Bay Area COL and Stanford engineering tuition freaks me out. 

On 2/24/2018 at 6:22 PM, Robin472003 said:

Has anyone heard about his/her structural engineering application for "JHU", "UIUC", "UCLA", "UC Irvine", "UC Davis","Penn State", "Cornell" or "MIT"?

MS Structural Engineering applicant here - previously a Berkeley undergrad with 3.75 overall gpa, 3.80 upper div gpa.

BLACK = Haven’t heard back from yet.

Applied to Berkeley, Stanford, USC, UCLA, UC San Diego, UC Davis

GREEN = ADMITTED

Edited by bigboots02

Had interview for Berkeley on 1/25; professor said I would be recommended for admission and should hear back in about a month. Nothing yet....trying to be patient :(

So far have acceptances (environmental engineering, mostly PhD or MS/PhD; undergrad in ChE w/ 1 year work experience after) from Boulder and Davis; interviews for U of Arizona, U of Delaware, and Berkeley; nothing yet from MIT, Colorado School of Mines, or University of Washington. 

If anyone else applied to the Civil Engineering Sustainable Design and Construction program at Stanford, I called the dept and spoke to someone. Apparently remaining decisions will be coming out next month. No specific date. Not sure how promising that is, since I've already seen a few admits on the results page.

On 2/23/2018 at 10:46 PM, strawberrykat said:

Ok, that was helpful, I checked today and a letter was posted yesterday, I got in! Also got an admit to Berkeley via email today. It looked like a pretty formal letter, and had financial details, but apparently a more "official" acceptance from the dean will come out in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, whitbee said:

Ok, that was helpful, I checked today and a letter was posted yesterday, I got in! Also got an admit to Berkeley via email today. It looked like a pretty formal letter, and had financial details, but apparently a more "official" acceptance from the dean will come out in a few weeks.

Congratulations on your admit to Berkeley! Did you get funding for an MS or for a PhD program?

Edited by ibtes

2 hours ago, whitbee said:

For Stanford and Berkeley - what program/ms or PhD?

And for Stanford, by the first or second deadline?

6 hours ago, ibtes said:

Congratulations on your admit to Berkeley! Did you get funding for an MS or for a PhD program?

MS program, but I initially applied for a PhD, and switched to MS after they requested I do so. They told me unless I had already gotten in touch with someone will to advise me, direct admits to the PhD programs were rare. Congrats to anyone who pulled that off! The offer for was tuition only, but with left the door open for getting a TAship.

3 hours ago, bigboots02 said:

For Stanford and Berkeley - what program/ms or PhD?

And for Stanford, by the first or second deadline?

I got an MS acceptance to Stanford, doing Environmental/Water Resources, they had some generic line about those who applied to the PhD program would only be admitted from the MS program (not saying that's true of everyone, but at least its true of those they sent this form acceptance to)

I applied to Stanford by the first deadline (barely, I think December 3rd) but no funding offer. 

I have a strong GPA now, but I started college at a big state school in ChemE where I had a terrible GPA, then took time off, and am now finishing up at a public commuter school that's not even ranked in Civil, so never dreamed I'd get into everywhere I applied (CU Boulder, UT Austin, UC Berkeley and Stanford).

For those waiting on Stanford, I did get an email later today to check my status, but the letter in the portal was dated for yesterday.

14 minutes ago, bigboots02 said:

AAH! Just got into Berkeley’s M.S. SEMM program!!!

Wow congratulations! I applied for MS in transportation and have not heard anything yet...

8 minutes ago, ibtes said:

Wow congratulations! I applied for MS in transportation and have not heard anything yet...

Thanks! Did my undergrad there and the admissions officer was one of my past professors. Got a sweet financial package ($23k) and a GSI position in the Spring!

2 hours ago, bigboots02 said:

Thanks! Did my undergrad there and the admissions officer was one of my past professors. Got a sweet financial package ($23k) and a GSI position in the Spring!

Congrats on the admission and great financial offer!