Civil & Environmental Engineering - Fall 2018 Applicants

strawberrykat

• 2 weeks later...

I am highly interested in the M.Eng program at MIT in Environmental Engineering Science Track.

Can someone (who got in), kindly post the profile and GRE/GPA stats.

I observed that that class size is 30+, but fluctuates between 15-45 every year. I don't understand this variation, since it's mostly self-sponsored program (so departmental funding doesn't determine the intake limit each year). Would love to hear your opinion about the program.

1PhDplz

Edited by MIT_ingeniere

2 hours ago, MIT_ingeniere said:

I am highly interested in the M.Eng program at MIT in Environmental Engineering Science Track.

Can someone (who got in), kindly post the profile and GRE/GPA stats.

I observed that that class size is 30+, but fluctuates between 15-45 every year. I don't understand this variation, since it's mostly self-sponsored program (so departmental funding doesn't determine the intake limit each year). Would love to hear your opinion about the program.

1PhDplz

GRE: 161 quant and 161 verbal

GPA: 3.93 overall, 3.9 major (geology)

Experience: I did an REU, a thesis for my undergrad,  an internship with a NASA sponsored program, and I have 2 published abstracts and presented research at 2 national conferences.

Other: 3 strong letters of rec (department head, thesis advisor, REU advisor), I've worked as a math and science tutor for three years, I was told my letter of intent was really good.

Good luck! I came from a non-engineering background and got in, so I'm sure if you're working hard you can get in too!

On 4/30/2018 at 10:25 PM, 1PhDplz said:

Experience: I did an REU, a thesis for my undergrad,  an internship with a NASA sponsored program, and I have 2 published abstracts and presented research at 2 national conferences.

Other: 3 strong letters of rec (department head, thesis advisor, REU advisor), I've worked as a math and science tutor for three years, I was told my letter of intent was really good.

Good luck! I came from a non-engineering background and got in, so I'm sure if you're working hard you can get in too!

Thank you so much for the prompt response. I am a Chemical Engineer, with GPA 3.55/4. I have been out of school for nearly 10 years. Working as a civil servant in the government in a senior position. Would like to study environmental engineering to better incorporate technology-based innovations in environmental/climate change policy. Your stats and research experience are truly top notch. I am more of a public policy professional with engineering degree, no where near your research credentials. Do you think having a decade of work experience helps in the application? I was trying to know more about the M.Eng program but there is so little out there in the web. Thanks in anticipation.

On 4/30/2018 at 10:25 PM, 1PhDplz said:

Also that I read that you have applied for the MS/PhD in EnvEngg program and eventually got admission into M.Eng. Is it that your application auto-considered for the M.Eng program? Or have you applied to M.Eng program also along with the MS/PhD application? Is there a way to transfer from M.Eng to MS or vice versa?

Thanks for your time

With decisions coming out so late, do you guys think it's at all realistic to leverage a late responding program to the program you accepted back in April? 

On 5/6/2018 at 1:13 AM, MIT_ingeniere said:

Also that I read that you have applied for the MS/PhD in EnvEngg program and eventually got admission into M.Eng. Is it that your application auto-considered for the M.Eng program? Or have you applied to M.Eng program also along with the MS/PhD application? Is there a way to transfer from M.Eng to MS or vice versa?

Thanks for your time

I applied for the MS/ PhD and was automatically considered for the M Eng. I'm pretty certain you cannot transfer from M Eng to MS, but I would reach out to their graduate coordinator to make sure. The M Eng is the professional route and the MS is more research based and I think involves a thesis. If you're willing to spend the money on a masters, I'd consider Stanford if I were you. Their program seemed the most interdisciplinary from what I saw and even requires that you take a class on environmental policy, so your work experience would probably be seen as relevant and beneficial. I'm sure your work experience will be a good thing, but everything I've read and heard says research experience is extremely important and it's the first thing I'm ever asked about in any interviews. Good luck!

1 hour ago, 1PhDplz said:

I applied for the MS/ PhD and was automatically considered for the M Eng. I'm pretty certain you cannot transfer from M Eng to MS, but I would reach out to their graduate coordinator to make sure. The M Eng is the professional route and the MS is more research based and I think involves a thesis. If you're willing to spend the money on a masters, I'd consider Stanford if I were you. Their program seemed the most interdisciplinary from what I saw and even requires that you take a class on environmental policy, so your work experience would probably be seen as relevant and beneficial. I'm sure your work experience will be a good thing, but everything I've read and heard says research experience is extremely important and it's the first thing I'm ever asked about in any interviews. Good luck!

Just spoke to the SDC department about my application and the different options since I'm on the waitlist for the MEng/PhD.  I think the MS is the professional route (no thesis required) and MEng is the more academic route with 15 extra units for your thesis. but maybe this is different for CEE?

Edited by laekkauai

On 4/20/2018 at 7:51 PM, Zhou042 said:

Has anyone heard back from Stanford SDC program? I called them this morning but no one answered...

I emailed the department and heard back earlier this week. It seems if you haven't heard back you are probably on the wait list, as I am.