Fall 2018 CANADIAN universities

Allbert

This topic is intended to share info and newz about FALL 2018 applications for Master's or PhD exclusively for CANADIAN institutions, either domestic or int'l applicants.

I am a domestic Canadian applicant , non-native speaker, and applied for Master's in Education, concentration in Counselling and PhD in Counselling. I have already MA and PhD but not in Canada/US.

GPA:  BA ( Psych): 8.1/10 ;       MA: 9.1/10 ;       PhD: B-

Publications: yes ; work experience: yes ; research experience: yes 

OISE (University of Toronto) - PhD in Counselling status: APPLED 

Western Ontario University - Master's in Education ( Counselling) statusAPPLIED

UNBC-  Master's in Education ( Counselling) status: APPLIED 

UVic - Master's in Education ( Counselling) status: APPLIED

Edited by Allbert

I'm an American and applied to do a M.A. in Spanish/Hispanic studies at Toronto and McGill (along with American unis). My Toronto app went from "all documents submitted" to "under review" this week which was exciting.

Good luck to everyone! 

Edited by senorbrightside

1 hour ago, senorbrightside said:

I'm an American and applied to do a M.A. in Spanish/Hispanic studies at Toronto and McGill (along with American unis). My Toronto app went from "all documents submitted" to "under review" this week which was exciting.

Good luck to everyone! 

Congrats ! My UofT profile also reads ' under review'.Hope web both make it, dude !:) good luck! oh.. can you follow your progress via an app? cool which one? tks

1 hour ago, Allbert said:

Congrats ! My UofT profile also reads ' under review'.Hope web both make it, dude !:) good luck! oh.. can you follow your progress via an app? cool which one? tks

App as shorthand for application, not for an app...that I know of! Good luck to you too! 

I too have applied to U of T for the MFE and my application is now under review. 

I have also applied for UBC, Western, and Queens for their MA Econ programs, as well as Laurier for their Business Econ with co op (which I have already been accepted to, but I must wait probably another month for other admissions) 

good luck to all !!

As I have been following the " results" forum, I reckon that the US universities are sending the invitations before Canada. I wonder if, in general, Canadian ons are waiting for US results to be released and then they give it a go. Makes sense?

1 hour ago, Allbert said:

As I have been following the " results" forum, I reckon that the US universities are sending the invitations before Canada. I wonder if, in general, Canadian ons are waiting for US results to be released and then they give it a go. Makes sense?

I don't think it's necessarily true! Many US universities haven't released the results yet. 

I've applied to UofT iSchool and I can't wait to hear back from them. My application is also "under review." From what I've heard from past years, they tend to release results in March. Finger crossing! 

7 hours ago, A2018 said:

I don't think it's necessarily true! Many US universities haven't released the results yet. 

I've applied to UofT iSchool and I can't wait to hear back from them. My application is also "under review." From what I've heard from past years, they tend to release results in March. Finger crossing! 

wow ! March is long wait,  then! I have an UofT id since I did my postdoc there. Should this go for or against me?

12 hours ago, Allbert said:

wow ! March is long wait,  then! I have an UofT id since I did my postdoc there. Should this go for or against me?

I don't know about that, sorry. But one of my friends received their OISE (MA in Counselling? I'm not sure about the details) offer in the mail also in March. No online updates, they had to find out in the mail :)

I'm a Canadian with a US BA applying for MA in English! I'm applying to some US schools, but also to U of Manitoba, UBC and Carleton. Haven't heard anything from any (and Carleton's deadline isn't until Feb 1st) but UBC and Manitoba are both "under review by the department" ahhhhh! 

Has anyone else applied to Carleton? If so, did anyone else have to go through like 13 steps and 3 different portals just to apply? Sheesh. 

Wow, finally, a place where I am filled with other people waiting for their results! I think everyone around me (officemates, family, friends, etc.) have noticed I've been on edge since I submitted my application for Concordia University a week ago (MFA in Film Production). I didn't apply for any other backup schools since I'm actually leaning towards starting on 2019, but Concordia said that they would most likely require me to finish my current MA before I get considered for their MFA program (since I am an international student from a country where we only have 14 years of schooling. I did 16 though), so I guess I am just trying it out to see if my credentials and portfolio are currently enough to get me into admissions. From there, it's just either adjusting everything to make a second application in Concordia or apply elsewhere if I get rejected; or just deciding whether or not I go this year if I get accepted. 

Not sure what my chances are honestly, especially since I heard the number of people in their MFA program is pretty small, but oh well, we'll see. Good luck to everyone else here!

10 hours ago, canadianchart said:

I'm a Canadian with a US BA applying for MA in English! I'm applying to some US schools, but also to U of Manitoba, UBC and Carleton. Haven't heard anything from any (and Carleton's deadline isn't until Feb 1st) but UBC and Manitoba are both "under review by the department" ahhhhh! 

Has anyone else applied to Carleton? If so, did anyone else have to go through like 13 steps and 3 different portals just to apply? Sheesh. 

I applied to Carleton for the second time this year! The process is especially confusing (so many portals...), even I got frustrated even though I went through the same last year ugh. 

I am a Canadian from Manitoba who has a B.S. in Exercise Science from an American University. I am applying for a MPH! I applied at the University of Manitoba, Waterloo, University of Saskatchewan, and University of Alberta. All my applications as of now are either pending or under review in department. I hate this waiting game I am anxious to find out if I am accepted or not! Good luck to everyone in this thread :D

9 hours ago, A2018 said:

I applied to Carleton for the second time this year! The process is especially confusing (so many portals...), even I got frustrated even though I went through the same last year ugh. 

right?! gosh I almost didn't want to apply anymore because the admission process was so confusing and weird. I didn't experience anything like that for my other applications 

@ChelMPH yay another Manitoban! 

17 hours ago, canadianchart said:

right?! gosh I almost didn't want to apply anymore because the admission process was so confusing and weird. I didn't experience anything like that for my other applications 

@ChelMPH yay another Manitoban! 

Yes goodluck to you! University of Manitoba was the application that gave me the most headache to be honest hahah

On 1/27/2018 at 8:27 PM, A2018 said:

Hi fellow iSchool applicant! I've heard the same thing about Toronto's response timeline. I'm tempted to email them and ask if I could possibly hear back sooner than that, I've run into a bit of a pickle that makes waiting until March quite risky. Anyone have any idea if it would be acceptable to do so? I don't want to put a mark against my application by bothering them.

15 minutes ago, Stephers96 said:

Hi fellow iSchool applicant! I've heard the same thing about Toronto's response timeline. I'm tempted to email them and ask if I could possibly hear back sooner than that, I've run into a bit of a pickle that makes waiting until March quite risky. Anyone have any idea if it would be acceptable to do so? I don't want to put a mark against my application by bothering them.

Hello! I feel as of right now it's a bit too early to ask (the deadline was a mere 2 weeks ago). If you have been accepted somewhere else, however, that is a valid reason to ask! I'd explain about the deadline to accept the other school's offer and ask for an early consideration from iSchool. 

I'm applying to the PhD btw, not the MI (which I saw in your signature!). Good luck to both of us :) 

Edited by A2018

4 minutes ago, A2018 said:

Hello! I feel as of right now it's a bit too early to ask (the deadline was a mere 2 weeks ago). If you have been accepted somewhere else, however, that is a valid reason to ask! I'd explain about the deadline to accept the other school's offer and ask for an early consideration from iSchool. 

I'm applying to the PhD btw, not the MI (which I saw in your signature!). Good luck to both of us :) 

Thank you! The situation is an acceptance from elsewhere--with a deadline that comes a few weeks before Toronto will even be sending our their own first responses, so I'll take your advice there.

Good luck to both of us indeed, especially in your PhD endeavors! :) 

2 minutes ago, Stephers96 said:

Thank you! The situation is an acceptance from elsewhere--with a deadline that comes a few weeks before Toronto will even be sending our their own first responses, so I'll take your advice there.

Good luck to both of us indeed, especially in your PhD endeavors! :) 

Congrats!!!! In that case I would think asking for an early consideration is perfectly acceptable. You should email Andrea about it. 

12 minutes ago, A2018 said:

Congrats!!!! In that case I would think asking for an early consideration is perfectly acceptable. You should email Andrea about it. 

Thank you! I really appreciate the perspective--this whole thing has had me sweating!

Hi everybody!

This post brings something different but, hey, it is also Canada :D

I got a decision letter from UQaM ( Université de Québec à Montréal) today with the decision : " Décision différé". They explain that is does not mean refusal but that in order to be admitted I need to submit copies of my Diplomas and some other documentation within 10 days.

Does anyone know what " décision différé" means and if it may mean that once I submit what they asked I'm in?

Thank you all and good luck !!!

Hi all! I'm applying to UVic for a PhD in Anthropology as a US applicant. Does anyone know if Canadian schools let international students know of decisions earlier for visa/planning purposes?

2 hours ago, Allbert said:

Hi everybody!

This post brings something different but, hey, it is also Canada :D

I got a decision letter from UQaM ( Université de Québec à Montréal) today with the decision : " Décision différé". They explain that is does not mean refusal but that in order to be admitted I need to submit copies of my Diplomas and some other documentation within 10 days.

Does anyone know what " décision différé" means and if it may mean that once I submit what they asked I'm in?

Thank you all and good luck !!!

It means "deferred decision" 
According to their website (https://etudier.uqam.ca/traitement-demandes) that status means they need to review your transcript and other docs before making a decision. I would say it's hopeful? Imo they wanted to reject you based on what they've seen, they wouldn't have bothered asking for hard copies. But I have no experience with UQaM so I cannot say for sure :) 
Good luck!! 

2 hours ago, phyanth said:

Hi all! I'm applying to UVic for a PhD in Anthropology as a US applicant. Does anyone know if Canadian schools let international students know of decisions earlier for visa/planning purposes?

It's best to ask your program's admission office. The answer depends on the schools: sometimes they let you know early so you have sufficient time to apply for a visa; other times, they have limited funding for international students so they may have to wait to confirm funding before extending offers. 

I don't have friends at UVic but when my international friends applied to schools in Ontario, they heard back around the same time as domestic students.