Fall 2018 CANADIAN universities

Allbert

I applied to Carleton and have submitted everything by 2nd Jan. Nothing from them until 30 Mar that someone told me by email I was not selected for the first round of offers and this year they probably won't start a second round.

It still says "Preliminary review required" in Central Carleton so I'd have to assume they probably didn't even look at my stuff except for my city of residence.

Why don't they inform applicants when they entered the waitlist? Or in my case, nowhere.

Edited by ordinateur/

3 hours ago, ordinateur/ said:

I applied to Carleton and have submitted everything by 2nd Jan. Nothing from them until 30 Mar that someone told me by email I was not selected for the first round of offers and this year they probably won't start a second round.

It still says "Preliminary review required" in Central Carleton so I'd have to assume they probably didn't even look at my stuff except for my city of residence.Why don't they inform applicants when they entered the waitlist? Or in my case, nowhere.

I think the reason they probably didn’t inform candidates about waitlists may be because of the strike. Strike only ended last week. It sucks they have kept many student just waiting and informing people is just the most professional thing to do. 

Am still hoping that they can get information out to student this week who have yet to be informed as well. 

Edited by gemmi

4 hours ago, ordinateur/ said:

It still says "Preliminary review required" in Central Carleton so I'd have to assume they probably didn't even look at my stuff except for my city of residence.

Why don't they inform applicants when they entered the waitlist? Or in my case, nowhere.

Just curious, which department was this? This seems to be a recurring theme for Carleton, I guess due to the strike, unfortunately 

5 hours ago, gemmi said:

I called Carleton today and they mentioned that they have been slow because of the strike but shall be sending out information to people this week and hopefully next. 

At last! I've been checking Carleton Central once a day for the past two months and I can't wait anymore. Hopefully that's for all departments.

13 hours ago, Sagnik_G said:

Just curious, which department was this? This seems to be a recurring theme for Carleton, I guess due to the strike, unfortunately 

Department of History. Didn't expect to get admitted on this one but just want an official closure..

14 hours ago, gemmi said:

I think the reason they probably didn’t inform candidates about waitlists may be because of the strike. Strike only ended last week. It sucks they have kept many student just waiting and informing people is just the most professional thing to do. 

Am still hoping that they can get information out to student this week who have yet to be informed as well. 

The strike didn't prevent them from issuing offers, at least not for this department. It just felt very disrespectful and yes, unprofessional.

Too hope things'd be better for everyone this week.

Please has anyone heard from Ryerson at all because i got an email from them on the 29th of March saying this 

“We would like to take this opportunity to again thank you for your interest in Graduate Studies at Ryerson University.  This acknowledgement confirms that we received your documents through the applicant upload portal for the School of Graduate Studies for the term commencing Fall 2018 for the following program:

Master of Journalism - Full Time

To confirm the status of your document submissions, you may log into the Applicant Portal to determine which documents have been received by our office.  Please upload any missing documents listed.

Your application has been reviewed for consideration and has been forwarded to the Program Admissions Committee for review.  Once an admission decision has been reached, you will be notified by email.  Due to high volume of inquiries, we are unable to respond to individual requests concerning your admissions decision.”

I did not understand what they meant by they just received my application cos I finished applying in January. So does this mean I’m waitlisted, might be accepted or what? 

Edited by T-boy
Forgot to add a few things

1 hour ago, T-boy said:

Please has anyone heard from Ryerson at all because i got an email from them on the 29th of March saying this 

“We would like to take this opportunity to again thank you for your interest in Graduate Studies at Ryerson University.  This acknowledgement confirms that we received your documents through the applicant upload portal for the School of Graduate Studies for the term commencing Fall 2018 for the following program:

Master of Journalism - Full Time

To confirm the status of your document submissions, you may log into the Applicant Portal to determine which documents have been received by our office.  Please upload any missing documents listed.

Your application has been reviewed for consideration and has been forwarded to the Program Admissions Committee for review.  Once an admission decision has been reached, you will be notified by email.  Due to high volume of inquiries, we are unable to respond to individual requests concerning your admissions decision.”

I did not understand what they meant by they just received my application cos I finished applying in January. So does this mean I’m waitlisted, might be accepted or what? 

Have you called them to ask?

On 4/13/2018 at 10:51 PM, gemmi said:

Have you called them to ask?

So I called Ryerson today to know my status update and I got the same vague answer like the email they sent to me. They said they can’t tell me when to expect a decision but that my application is being reviewed. 

I later called Carleton to know my status as well and I was told that my application is still with the department and it has not been recommended for admission but it is still being reviewed. 

At this point, I am confused and honestly tired of waiting since January for a decision. I don’t even know what to do at this point. 

4 hours ago, T-boy said:

So I called Ryerson today to know my status update and I got the same vague answer like the email they sent to me. They said they can’t tell me when to expect a decision but that my application is being reviewed. 

I later called Carleton to know my status as well and I was told that my application is still with the department and it has not been recommended for admission but it is still being reviewed. 

At this point, I am confused and honestly tired of waiting since January for a decision. I don’t even know what to do at this point. 

I find their lack of keeping within the standard time of giving responses 2-3 months after deadlines being in January, to be very unprofessional. I fear that it doesn’t look good for our candidature, but they still should just inform students within a reasonable time frame.

Edited by gemmi

15 hours ago, gemmi said:

I find their lack of keeping within the standard time of giving responses 2-3 months after deadlines being in January, to be very unprofessional. I fear that it doesn’t look good for our candidature, but they still should just inform students within a reasonable time frame.

So Carleton replied my email and this has to be the rudest reply I’ve ever gotten. I emailed them about my application status and apparently I got rejected. I got this reply...

“Thank you for your interest in the Carleton University Master of Journalism program, and for your patience as our admissions committee conducted its deliberations. As you know, the Master of Journalism is a small enrolment program with a limited capacity to admit international students. I am afraid that we are not able to make a recommendation of admission in your case. We do wish you all the best with your future endeavors.” 

Is this even fair? You didn’t let me know all this while till I messaged you and you are no rejecting me? Wow. Carleton has disappointed me 

Edited by T-boy

I am waitlisted to my top choice master’s program. They informed me early April that they will start to contact students on the list one by one from mid-late April for additional available positions. Is it a good idea to contact an admission officer or a professor to appeal that I am still really interested in the program? If so, officer or Professor? 

Edited by Hopeful_2018

2 hours ago, T-boy said:

So Carleton replied my email and this has to be the rudest reply I’ve ever gotten. I emailed them about my application status and apparently I got rejected. I got this reply...

“Thank you for your interest in the Carleton University Master of Journalism program, and for your patience as our admissions committee conducted its deliberations. As you know, the Master of Journalism is a small enrolment program with a limited capacity to admit international students. I am afraid that we are not able to make a recommendation of admission in your case. We do wish you all the best with your future endeavors.” 

Is this even fair? You didn’t let me know all this while till I messaged you and you are no rejecting me? Wow. Carleton has disappointed me 

Really sorry to hear that @T-boy I think official letters sooner rather than later are a good practice. Not sure if may be you had been kept on a waitlist or what before they responded but it is just ridiculous how they handle applicants! Yes they know how much we want to get into their schools but they should regard that as a need to be professional and courteous at all times to applicants.

Sorry again. Are there other schools you applied to? Has the status changed on Carleton Central