Fall 2018 CANADIAN universities

Allbert

4 hours ago, gemmi said:

Really sorry to hear that @T-boy I think official letters sooner rather than later are a good practice. Not sure if may be you had been kept on a waitlist or what before they responded but it is just ridiculous how they handle applicants! Yes they know how much we want to get into their schools but they should regard that as a need to be professional and courteous at all times to applicants.

Sorry again. Are there other schools you applied to? Has the status changed on Carleton Central

Thanks a lot. I absolutely agree with you that schools need to handle applicants better because in all actuality they need our money, more reason for them to be courteous. Also my status changed today on Carleton Central as well. This has been quite the experience anyways I applied to ryerson and I’m waiting to hear back from them. That’s my last option. 

Edited by T-boy

I’ve finally had some contact with my POI!  We had a lovely chat, and the POI will be happy to be my PhD supervisor if there is funding available from the department (as they guarantee all PhD students minimum funding).  My POI thinks I’ll be competitive for external scholarships as well, so if I’m accepted, I’ll be applying for CIHR funding and CFDR funding.

I’m trying not to get too excited, because it’s not a firm acceptance, and it is contingent on funding being available, but it is progress!

Does anyone hear from Uvic? I applied in early Jan. But still no info. My application status shows " Under review by the department" 

I am an International with a master from US university.  And applied for Master in astronomy ( Fall 2018) at Uvic.  

Anyone? Please?

Waiting sucks.

Are there many people still waiting for a response from University of Alberta? I haven't had any update since the application was progressed to Under Review at the start of March or so. 

Hoping it's out tomorrow or next week. Weekends are so long when you're waiting anxiously.

Just received an offer of admission to one of my programs of interest at Queen’s University!  The formal letter from the school of graduate studies to come sometime in the next two weeks.

I’m so absolutely delighted and excited! :):):)

I have a question maybe some of you can answer? 

So long story short, I applied to a program where I had to find an advisor and secure that advisor (have them agree to supervise me) before I apply. Then I apply. So I applied to a program at the end of January. I have an advisor who helped me fill out the scholarship applications and everything. I found out 2 weeks ago that I won a scholarship so I will meet the school's minimum funding requirements! However, my status online still says "all documents received" (like it's said since the day I submitted my application). 

I need to pick classes in like a month so I'm really starting to panic. I am wondering, what are the chances that I WON'T be accepted by the school? In your experience, if you have an advisor, does the school almost always accept you? 

8 hours ago, pianoplaya94 said:

I have a question maybe some of you can answer? 

So long story short, I applied to a program where I had to find an advisor and secure that advisor (have them agree to supervise me) before I apply. Then I apply. So I applied to a program at the end of January. I have an advisor who helped me fill out the scholarship applications and everything. I found out 2 weeks ago that I won a scholarship so I will meet the school's minimum funding requirements! However, my status online still says "all documents received" (like it's said since the day I submitted my application). 

I need to pick classes in like a month so I'm really starting to panic. I am wondering, what are the chances that I WON'T be accepted by the school? In your experience, if you have an advisor, does the school almost always accept you? 

Theres still a chance you could still not be accepted.  You could have gotten poor recommendation letters, they don't think you took the appropriate classes in your undergrad, your grades were not as strong as other applicants, did not have as much experience as other applicants etc.

Theres a lot that goes into getting accepted, its more than just a Prof quickly looking at your grades/resume and saying they will advise you.

With that said, having an adviser ahead of time definitely increases your odds of getting in.

15 minutes ago, Peasy said:

Theres still a chance you could still not be accepted.  You could have gotten poor recommendation letters, they don't think you took the appropriate classes in your undergrad, your grades were not as strong as other applicants, did not have as much experience as other applicants etc.

Theres a lot that goes into getting accepted, its more than just a Prof quickly looking at your grades/resume and saying they will advise you.

With that said, having an adviser ahead of time definitely increases your odds of getting in.

Thanks for the answer! This process is taking forever and I'm really stressing out. When I first interviewed with my advisor she said I have taken the two courses that they usually expect students to have taken in undergrad. I also did just win a big departmental scholarship (which required my CV, transcripts, references, and research proposal). My GPA is way above the minimum requirements (cGPA of 3.5 and last 2 year GPA of 3.67). Also, when I spoke to my advisor last week, she said "I look forward to working with you" and even offered me an RA position for the summer before I start. BUT, I did hand in one reference for the program application that I did not send in for the scholarship application and I'm really worried he may have said something bad. ugh.  The wait is torture.

Is anyone currently applying for a study permit? Maybe within the US? It seems like regulations are very different depending on geographical location... and I can’t really find good information online. Thanks! And fingers crossed for everyone who is still waiting!

5 hours ago, Nat828 said:

Is anyone currently applying for a study permit? Maybe within the US? It seems like regulations are very different depending on geographical location... and I can’t really find good information online. Thanks! And fingers crossed for everyone who is still waiting!

Yes . Im also applying for study permit as well....but need to prepare few documents before hand. 

Hello fellow Canadian applicants!  I was just accepted to the second PhD program that I had applied to at Queen’s University.  Now I have a tough decision to make:  which program?  I’ve made a list of pros and cons, but both programs are still pretty much tied.  Needless to say, I need to sleep on this and think some more.  But it’s a wonderful problem to have!

I hope all of you waiting to hear back will have good news soon!

Hello everyone,

I just received an acceptance letter from the University of Alberta for MEng Electrical and Computer Engineering. It was sent by the FGSR. 

I applied on February 9, with my last reference being submitted on February 29. So for anyone who applied after, don't give up hope yet, seems they stick to the 2-3 month window for review!

I'm so relieved, now I might get a good nights rest :D

is there someone who Applied for the MSc program of the University of Alberta? Structural engineering? I passed Preliminary Application but I could not find a supervisor. 

On 5/4/2018 at 6:34 PM, Shiva G said:

is there someone who Applied for the MSc program of the University of Alberta? Structural engineering? I passed Preliminary Application but I could not find a supervisor. 

I got admit to neuroscience at uni of alberta.....you must find a supervisor I guess....or they will rotate your application to potential supervisor if anyone accepts you...

• 2 weeks later...

I recently applied to the Université de Sherbrooke for an education masters in Adaptation Scolaire. I thought I was too late but it still let me apply for the Fall. I applied about a month ago and it still says under review. Has anyone ever applied here? Do you know when they generally get back to you?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I want to apply in University of Victoria for Masters in CS . Please evaluate my profile for checking my chance of getting admit. Here is my profile:

10th : 10 cgpa

12th : 91%

Btech : 9.2 cgpa ( 4rth year going to start)

Gre : 326

Ielts : 7.5

Internships : 4( marketing , web development and research internship , alumni ambassador)

1 research paper

currently getting a training in data science and machine learning and will be making 6 projects and will be writing another research paper after that.