Fall 2018 CANADIAN universities

Allbert

8 minutes ago, TheWillToDo said:

Nah, I applied for the Urban Studies (graduate diploma)

Considering my profile, GPA specifically, I needed that to strengthen my background in the field. It is less competitive there

Ok...good. 

I have a strong GPA. Have work experience of a year plus, as an RA and have publications and a book chapter. 

Still on tenterhooks though.

I wish us all success. Fingers crossed.

Hello everyone!

Glad to have bumped across this post. I am an International applicant. I applied to 4 canadian Unis for a PhD in Strategy/International Business - Rotman, Desautels, Ivey and Alberta. I have interviewed (Skype) with the latter two two and three weeks back respectively. Haven't heard back after that. Nothing from Rotman and Desautels yet.

Wishing everyone here good luck! Would love to hear if any of you has a similar area as mine, or if you've heard from any of the four schools mentioned above.

Is anyone else having trouble concentrating on their school work because you're obsessively waiting to hear back???? I find it so difficult to concentrate ugh! 

good luck to everyone. :lol:

Has anyone received an admit to York University? My application status changed to "Admitted" last Friday, and they enabled me to apply for on-campus accommodation. However, I haven't received an acceptance email from the school, neither is an offer letter anywhere in the portal (MyFile). So I have no idea whether or not I received funding, or the deadline to accept the offer. Is it normal that I have been admitted and still haven't received an email from them? 

I also noticed that at the supporting documents section, "Transcript (Official)- Not Yet Received" has been added. This probably means they are requesting for my official transcript to be mailed to them. But I still find it disturbing that I haven't received an email from them.  

I’ve applied to two PhD programs at Queen’s University.  I’m limited geographically due to my spouse’s job, which supports us at this point in time.  Both of the programs match my research interests quite well. One of them only closed applications on February 15th and the other has applications open until March 16th, so I expect it will be a while before I hear anything.  I have a master’s degree from the University of Toronto (where I was awarded two scholarships for academic excellence) and I graduated at the top of my class from my undergraduate studies.

I have no idea when I’ll hear back about admissions.  I will also be applying to a UK PhD program.

I’m a Canadian Citizen, born and bred in Canada!

Edited by RunnerGrad

6 hours ago, RunnerGrad said:

I’ve applied to two PhD programs at Queen’s University.  I’m limited geographically due to my spouse’s job, which supports us at this point in time.  Both of the programs match my research interests quite well. One of them only closed applications on February 15th and the other has applications open until March 16th, so I expect it will be a while before I hear anything.  I have a master’s degree from the University of Toronto (where I was awarded two scholarships for academic excellence) and I graduated at the top of my class from my undergraduate studies.

I have no idea when I’ll hear back about admissions.  I will also be applying to a UK PhD program.

I’m a Canadian Citizen, born and bred in Canada!

Good luck! 

16 hours ago, kylexy61 said:

Has anyone received an admit to York University? My application status changed to "Admitted" last Friday, and they enabled me to apply for on-campus accommodation. However, I haven't received an acceptance email from the school, neither is an offer letter anywhere in the portal (MyFile). So I have no idea whether or not I received funding, or the deadline to accept the offer. Is it normal that I have been admitted and still haven't received an email from them? 

I also noticed that at the supporting documents section, "Transcript (Official)- Not Yet Received" has been added. This probably means they are requesting for my official transcript to be mailed to them. But I still find it disturbing that I haven't received an email from them.  

All of what you said makes it seem like you have been accepted.  I would call their graduate office to see if they could clarify things for you.

1 hour ago, barl0025 said:

Has anyone applied to York University Social and Political Thought or Sociology?

Frustrated seeing other admission offers and I haven't heard anything at all.

I applied to there MA in Sociology and have heard nothing!!! I've heard back from McMaster whose deadline was 5 days after York and Queens whose deadline was Feb 1st. I submitted all my application the day they were due so I don't see why it's taking so long to hear word!!!!! 

Hi, I've applied to UVic and UBC for their sociology Ph.D. Programs. Coming from a US B.S. & M.A. I have spoken with a faculty member in each department who've both informally accepted me to work with them. At UBC, I had an informal phone call with my potential advisor and at the end of the conversation, he told me that he would definitely work with me, that he was accepting grad students, and that he had grants. I asked him if I could say that we've agreed to work together on my work pending my acceptance in my app and he said "absolutely." At UVic, I sent a letter to someone in the department who was unfortunately not taking grad students. He directed me to contact one of his colleagues, and I did. This professor sent back a slightly humorous email about my work being characteristically American (in the sociological sense) and about the size and funding of their university. He said to put his name on my application and say that he agreed to work with me. 

Haven't heard back from either place yet, UVic's portal lists me as "Under Review by Department" UBC has basically been radio-silent since December. I don't know how good these signs are, but I have to keep telling myself that these faculty members' responses can help my application. My app was solid I think, good references, 1 publication, 3 in progress, and a book in the works too. Fingers Crossed!

SS

20 hours ago, kylexy61 said:

This means you have been accepted, the official copy of the transcript they want is your final transcript once you complete your current degree. 

On 2/20/2018 at 8:40 PM, BriannaKarri said:

This means you have been accepted, the official copy of the transcript they want is your final transcript once you complete your current degree. 

Thanks. The offer letter finally came, with full funding. I'm supposed to accept/decline the offer by 2nd March....and a post above shows they are going on strike on 2nd March. Anybody thinks that's a coincidence?^_^

I also applied to UofT and UBC. I'm yet to hear from them. What if I accept the offer by that date and they later (hopefully) send admit offers? 

6 hours ago, HeyThereFriends said:

Hey guys! I applied to the University of Alberta. Have anyone received an offer letter from them? Which department? Thanks!

Hi there! I applied to the Strategy department at Alberta Business School. Had a skype interview in late Jan, and radio silence since then :-(

Which department did you apply to?

Hi everyone.

I'm from the UK. I have applied for a Psychology PhD at UT, McGill and Concordia. 

Concordia have said that they generally reply 12 weeks after the deadline (deadline was early December) so hopefully soon, although that may not take into account the Christmas break.

Has anyone else heard anything back yet from these?

Thanks

6 hours ago, dreamer33 said:

Hi there! I applied to the Strategy department at Alberta Business School. Had a skype interview in late Jan, and radio silence since then :-(

Which department did you apply to?

I applied for a different Faculty, but I heard Business haven't started to send offers. Don't know if it's true, though.

2 hours ago, HeyThereFriends said:

I applied for a different Faculty, but I heard Business haven't started to send offers. Don't know if it's true, though.

Thanks for sharing that. I wish you good luck in the process! I think it’s a good University. Hope we both get admitted ?