Fall 2018 CANADIAN universities

Allbert

18 hours ago, Allbert said:

Still no news whatsoever. Does anyone have  heard/read anything from MA or Med in Counselling ?

At OISE my 2nd choice is Social Justice.

My fears dwell on the possibility that it is March and no news may lead to bad news. Any hits on this?

Good luck to all !

Hey... same! I have heard nothing concerning MEd in counselling.  However, according to the admissions office, they release their results as of March 1st.

Also, I have been reading old posts from last year, and it seems that it was about a week after this date that people began to receive their results/offers.

I don't think we should give up... not yet! :)

Best of luck...!!

1 hour ago, MehK said:

Hey... same! I have heard nothing concerning MEd in counselling.  However, according to the admissions office, they release their results as of March 1st.

Also, I have been reading old posts from last year, and it seems that it was about a week after this date that people began to receive their results/offers.

I don't think we should give up... not yet! :)

Best of luck...!!

Wow ! I feel so relieved with your post ! So we are in ' da game' lol .. what university[ies] did you apply for?

17 minutes ago, Allbert said:

Wow ! I feel so relieved with your post ! So we are in ' da game' lol .. what university[ies] did you apply for?

Yes, we are indeed! :) MA and MEd at OISE only.

If you go through old posts from last year... you will feel relieved even further! :) That's what I do to when I get dangerously anxious, lol!

PS. It seems majority of people (UofT) started hearing after first week in March! So, I would so say.. so far, so good! :) 

Edited by MehK

1 hour ago, MehK said:

Yes, we are indeed! :) MA and MEd at OISE only.

If you go through old posts from last year... you will feel relieved even further! :) That's what I do to when I get dangerously anxious, lol!

PS. It seems majority of people (UofT) started hearing after first week in March! So, I would so say.. so far, so good! :) 

indeed! i hope we will become classmates this Fall and go get a double double in the Tim's at Bloor near OISE lol

Thank you for your interest in the Carleton University Master of Journalism program and thank you for your patience as our admissions committee conducts its deliberations. You should know that the MJ is a limited enrolment program to which only 20 or so students are admitted each year. We first admit a complement of domestic students, and only once that cohort has been settled upon do we turn our attention to international applicants. As well, we only have the capacity to admit a very small number of international students — sometimes as few as one. 

We are currently in the process of waiting to hear from some of the domestic applicants to whom we have extended offers of admission. It may be a few weeks before we will know how many spaces in the program, if any, will be available to international applicants. Again, we thank you for your forbearance.

So I just got this email from Carleton, please someone help me make sense of this... 

12 minutes ago, Nat828 said:

Wow! Did you know that when you applied?? Are you an international student? 

I did not know that when I applied and I am an international student. Do I have hope? 

3 hours ago, T-boy said:

Thank you for your interest in the Carleton University Master of Journalism program and thank you for your patience as our admissions committee conducts its deliberations. You should know that the MJ is a limited enrolment program to which only 20 or so students are admitted each year. We first admit a complement of domestic students, and only once that cohort has been settled upon do we turn our attention to international applicants. As well, we only have the capacity to admit a very small number of international students — sometimes as few as one. 

We are currently in the process of waiting to hear from some of the domestic applicants to whom we have extended offers of admission. It may be a few weeks before we will know how many spaces in the program, if any, will be available to international applicants. Again, we thank you for your forbearance.

So I just got this email from Carleton, please someone help me make sense of this... 

I'm guessing they will see how many of the domestic students they have sent out offers to accept the offers and then decide on looking at how many international students they are looking to admit. 

It really sucks that they have such a limited opportunity for international students, really limits how holistic a course is, but then again it seems like a pretty small program so it's not unusual as well because it's common practice to first look at domestic students. 

Don't give up hope, it's not a rejection. You're still in the game. 

3 hours ago, T-boy said:

I did not know that when I applied and I am an international student. Do I have hope? 

I might be the only one, but I think this is unacceptable in some way. I mean you apply to a program thinking that you have the same chance of getting in like everyone else, and then they tell you after that they sometimes only accept 1(!!!!) international student? No go. 

I applied to OISE at the University of Toronto for Education Leadership and Policy (LHAE) and my ACORN changed today, to "invited" for registration status. But my program enrollment hasn't changed, nor my financial status, and I haven't received any letters/emails for acceptances.

Has this happened to anyone else? Plus I'm not even sure what "TPEEAMED" stands for LOL! 

Screenshot (3).png

Edited by elizabethstewart111

6 hours ago, Sagnik_G said:

I'm guessing they will see how many of the domestic students they have sent out offers to accept the offers and then decide on looking at how many international students they are looking to admit. 

It really sucks that they have such a limited opportunity for international students, really limits how holistic a course is, but then again it seems like a pretty small program so it's not unusual as well because it's common practice to first look at domestic students. 

Don't give up hope, it's not a rejection. You're still in the game. 

It actually really sucks but I understand. Thank you for the reassurance. I’ll keep waiting 

5 hours ago, Nat828 said:

I might be the only one, but I think this is unacceptable in some way. I mean you apply to a program thinking that you have the same chance of getting in like everyone else, and then they tell you after that they sometimes only accept 1(!!!!) international student? No go. 

You’re not the only one, I was feeling some type of way when I read it as well. It’s sad to know that with the many international students that would apply, only one might get picked and that is only if one of the accepted domestic students declines an offer. 

4 hours ago, Nat828 said:

I share the same sentiments! I feel very upset about this, sincerely!

This is certainly not fair; everyone should have equal chance of being admitted regardless of their origin provided that they meet the requirements.

This sheds light on what the department is all about. Bunch of discriminators!!! If I were you, I'm gonna tend in a contentious email to the department to give me more clarifications on why this is so! I took the liberty to apply for the program knowing that I qualify and stand a chance of getting in like everyone else applying. Paid, maybe, an even higher app fee. Then you write to me telling me this nonsense?!!!

15 hours ago, T-boy said:

Bluntly put, they said " sorry, Canucks first". They seem to make clear that there are 2 kinds of applicants: Canadians... and the rest.

Then again, this is my humble personal OPINION, I have no knowledge about this institution, let alone MJ. Good Luck !

On 2/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, T-boy said:

Hey everyone, 

I am an international applicant. I applied to Ryerson Uni and Carleton Uni for a masters in Journalism. The wait is absolutely exhausting and I keep going to Carleton portal every other day, Ryerson doesn’t seem to have a way to track applications. I am somewhat scared of being rejected as well. Please who is in the same both as me and waiting for a decision? 

I got my Carleton acceptance this week for Journalism & Comms - maybe they're sending out acceptances on a rolling basis? not sure if that helps! I'm a Canadian student though

2 hours ago, leelof said:

I got my Carleton acceptance this week for Journalism & Comms - maybe they're sending out acceptances on a rolling basis? not sure if that helps! I'm a Canadian student though

Hey! 

Congratulations!!! I believe they are sending out acceptance letters to Canadians first and if there is any space left they will contact the international students (me). 

11 hours ago, elizabethstewart111 said:

I applied to OISE at the University of Toronto for Education Leadership and Policy (LHAE) and my ACORN changed today, to "invited" for registration status. But my program enrollment hasn't changed, nor my financial status, and I haven't received any letters/emails for acceptances.

Has this happened to anyone else? Plus I'm not even sure what "TPEEAMED" stands for LOL! 

Screenshot (3).png

Seeing "invited" is a good sign, according to what I have read (both on here as well as OISE's website) :)

I think you will get something in the mail soon!! :) 

5 hours ago, T-boy said:

Hey! 

Congratulations!!! I believe they are sending out acceptance letters to Canadians first and if there is any space left they will contact the international students (me). 

Thanks! boo - that's quite a shitty system lol. sorry for the wait - fingers crossed for you!!

4 hours ago, MehK said:

Seeing "invited" is a good sign, according to what I have read (both on here as well as OISE's website) :)

Mehk, Notification by email comes first. Letters later. The post TPEEAMED means (pretty sure) that you are enrolled in the old Educational Administration program, not called Educational Leadership & Policy and you are an incoming MEd.

13 minutes ago, Karen Dinsdale Kaufman said:

Mehk, Notification by email comes first. Letters later. The post TPEEAMED means (pretty sure) that you are enrolled in the old Educational Administration program, not called Educational Leadership & Policy and you are an incoming MEd.

4 hours ago, MehK said:

Thank you for responding both! :)

I see! I am not currently a U of T student or education student and only applying for the MA, not Med, but hopefully its still a good thing that TPEEAMED at least has something to do with education?! LOL

I'll look out for the letter for further confirmation! 

10 hours ago, leelof said:

Did you apply to the MA or PhD program? Congratulations!!

18 hours ago, MehK said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering for those who applied OISE, before receiving the admission emails, will everyone's Acorn status change to invited or something else? At least I have somewhere to look up to before getting emails. The waiting is <_<<_<

Edited by lovewemll