Fall 2018 CANADIAN universities

Allbert

17 minutes ago, Ekinsu92 said:

Those who have applied York sociology, have you checked your application status? I've seen a rejection on the board, but mine is ' no decision yet'.

That may mean you're wait listed, you should call the department. I was the rejection that posted. I got wait listed for a different program at York and they don't change the status on myfile in that program.

Good luck!

@Ekinsu92 I am also waiting on a response. I know acceptances will be sent to Sociology PHD applicants today, hoping that will be the case for Master's as well! I called last Friday to find out if the strike will affect when we will hear back from admissions and they said no. The person who I spoke to did not offer up any additional information, and I did not want to badger her. Have you spoken to them at all?

1 hour ago, barl0025 said:

That may mean you're wait listed, you should call the department. I was the rejection that posted. I got wait listed for a different program at York and they don't change the status on myfile in that program.

Good luck!

Thank you! 

I hope I'm waitlisted but I think they have not submitted decisions on international students yet. I e-mailed the graduate assistant and waiting for response. 

1 hour ago, TheoWaffle said:

@Ekinsu92 I am also waiting on a response. I know acceptances will be sent to Sociology PHD applicants today, hoping that will be the case for Master's as well! I called last Friday to find out if the strike will affect when we will hear back from admissions and they said no. The person who I spoke to did not offer up any additional information, and I did not want to badger her. Have you spoken to them at all?

2 hours ago, Ekinsu92 said:

Those who have applied York sociology, have you checked your application status? I've seen a rejection on the board, but mine is ' no decision yet'.

I go to accepted into the MA program for sociology at York! I checked my myfile and it still says no decision yet but I got an email this morning. Hopefully those that are still waiting for a decision have some chance for an acceptance! Keep ur hopes up guys! 

57 minutes ago, TheoWaffle said:

@Maya584 Thank you for letting us know that you received an offer! And congratulations!! Turns out I had been frantically checking the wrong inbox all morning LOL. I received my acceptance this morning too (: 

That's great! Good thing u found the offer later!

On 3/1/2018 at 4:23 PM, T-boy said:

Thank you for your interest in the Carleton University Master of Journalism program and thank you for your patience as our admissions committee conducts its deliberations. You should know that the MJ is a limited enrolment program to which only 20 or so students are admitted each year. We first admit a complement of domestic students, and only once that cohort has been settled upon do we turn our attention to international applicants. As well, we only have the capacity to admit a very small number of international students — sometimes as few as one. 

We are currently in the process of waiting to hear from some of the domestic applicants to whom we have extended offers of admission. It may be a few weeks before we will know how many spaces in the program, if any, will be available to international applicants. Again, we thank you for your forbearance.

So I just got this email from Carleton, please someone help me make sense of this... 

Hi,

I emailed Carleton this morning to see whether it is the same procedure for their Communication MA. If yes, I will complain and I will also request my money back. It still doesn't make any sense to me that you would accept domestic students first, and IF there is availability, you'll take a look at the international students. If that is their policy, I cannot change it, but they should clearly state it on their website. I would have never applied (and hoped for an acceptance) if I had known this... I'll let you know how it goes if you're or anyone else is interested.. 

7 minutes ago, Nat828 said:

Hi,

I emailed Carleton this morning to see whether it is the same procedure for their Communication MA. If yes, I will complain and I will also request my money back. It still doesn't make any sense to me that you would accept domestic students first, and IF there is availability, you'll take a look at the international students. If that is their policy, I cannot change it, but they should clearly state it on their website. I would have never applied (and hoped for an acceptance) if I had known this... I'll let you know how it goes if you're or anyone else is interested.. 

You shouldn't relent on this issue. It absolutely doesn't make sense. Sincerely speaking, I am pissed about this.

12 minutes ago, Nat828 said:

Hi,

Same here. I applied in mid-January (PhD in Communication) and heard nothing from them. Although some domestic students have already been accepted, my application status is still "Preliminary review required", meaning they still haven't even started reviewing my application just because I'm an international student.

5 hours ago, barl0025 said:

Good luck!

So does that mean you're waitlisted for SPT? Did they send an email of anything or did you have to call? 

5 hours ago, Nat828 said:

Hi,

Hey, 

It still baffles me that they are doing this but I guess it’s routine. I would be glad if you let me know what they say. Thank you. 

5 hours ago, sielias said:

So does that mean you're waitlisted for SPT? Did they send an email of anything or did you have to call? 

I am waitlisted for SPTH. I called

5 hours ago, Slode said:

Same here. I applied in mid-January (PhD in Communication) and heard nothing from them. Although some domestic students have already been accepted, my application status is still "Preliminary review required", meaning they still haven't even started reviewing my application just because I'm an international student.

Hello, 

It’s sad that this is happening tbh but I hope they answer you soon because seeing domestic students post that they have gotten accepted is quite depressing. 

Just got a rejection email from Educational Studies, UBC. Sad, but I am still waiting from Toronto. My hope is dwindling, though.

3 hours ago, T-boy said:

Hello, 

It’s sad that this is happening tbh but I hope they answer you soon because seeing domestic students post that they have gotten accepted is quite depressing. 

What is depressing is that they don't treat international students on an equal footing. One thing is a limited number of places for international students, which is totally common and fair; another — equal treatment of all applicants in the admission process.

I actually emailed them, and they said they "aim to have responses sent out by the end of March." I guess by "responses" they pretty much mean "rejections" here?

11 hours ago, Slode said:

I don't think they actually update the status on the system. I was offered admission via email first but my status on Carleton Central still said "preliminary review required" until they sent out an official (formal) offer - hope that makes you feel a bit better! 

(To be clear, this is for the PhD in Communication. I also applied to another program at Carleton last cycle and got accepted, and my status on Carleton Central was updated frequently) 

2 hours ago, Slode said:

What is depressing is that they don't treat international students on an equal footing. One thing is a limited number of places for international students, which is totally common and fair; another — equal treatment of all applicants in the admission process.

I actually emailed them, and they said they "aim to have responses sent out by the end of March." I guess by "responses" they pretty much mean "rejections" here?

Yeah you’re right. I don’t think it is mainly rejections anyway, they just need to hear back from domestic students with the deadline given to them before they attend to international students. Let’s have faith that they would get back to us with something positive soon. 

On 2018-03-03 at 8:01 AM, lovewemll said:

Hi everyone, I was wondering for those who applied OISE, before receiving the admission emails, will everyone's Acorn status change to invited or something else? At least I have somewhere to look up to before getting emails. The waiting is <_<<_<

I didn’t go to OISE, but attended UofToronto for my master’s.  ACORN (or ROSI which is what we had when I was accepted) will change to “invited” before anything else happens.  It took forever to receive my official letter from UofT.  

On 05.03.2018 at 4:47 PM, barl0025 said:

Good luck!

I still have heard nothing from York Sociology. I think I'm rejected and they have not updated my status on myfile yet. 

11 hours ago, A2018 said:

I don't think they actually update the status on the system. I was offered admission via email first but my status on Carleton Central still said "preliminary review required" until they sent out an official (formal) offer - hope that makes you feel a bit better! 

(To be clear, this is for the PhD in Communication. I also applied to another program at Carleton last cycle and got accepted, and my status on Carleton Central was updated frequently) 

Oh, I didn't know that; I was sure they haven't even looked at my application yet. I applied for their MA program in 2016 and ended up rejecting their offer, but now I don't remember if my status ever changed on the system during the application process.

And congrats on your acceptance!

11 hours ago, T-boy said:

Yeah you’re right. I don’t think it is mainly rejections anyway, they just need to hear back from domestic students with the deadline given to them before they attend to international students. Let’s have faith that they would get back to us with something positive soon. 

Perhaps. I just wish the process was quicker!

1 hour ago, Slode said:

Oh, I didn't know that; I was sure they haven't even looked at my application yet. I applied for their MA program in 2016 and ended up rejecting their offer, but now I don't remember if my status ever changed on the system during the application process.

And congrats on your acceptance!

Perhaps. I just wish the process was quicker!

There's also a strike going on at Carleton so the whole process of sending out offers and stuff is also delayed