University of Michigan MSW 2018

atomizer

Hi everyone!

I'm a MSW applicant for the two-year program. I'm Canadian and am applying from the University of Toronto with a cumulative GPA of 3.5, and a GPA of 3.7 in my last two years. I have a bachelor of science (psychology) and tons of research experience in psychology and have mentored students throughout undergrad. I volunteered at a homeless shelter for eight months, and have done work with LGBTQ+ youth.

I applied late to the program (in mid-February) and recently received my wolverine access. How long will the process take until I hear if I am asked for an interview or receive a decision? I called the MSW department a couple of weeks ago and was told I could have to wait until May or June for a decision considering I applied in Feb.

Getting anxious (ugh, when will that grad school stress go away), especially since they did not contact me for an interview yet. Do you have to have an interview in order to be accepted? Can you be granted admission without an interview? 

I would appreciate any feedback on my profile and about what to expect from UMich as I don't have any acquaintances applying at UMich.

Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 2:04 PM, Tess94 said:

Hi everyone!

I'm a MSW applicant for the two-year program. I'm Canadian and am applying from the University of Toronto with a cumulative GPA of 3.5, and a GPA of 3.7 in my last two years. I have a bachelor of science (psychology) and tons of research experience in psychology and have mentored students throughout undergrad. I volunteered at a homeless shelter for eight months, and have done work with LGBTQ+ youth.

I applied late to the program (in mid-February) and recently received my wolverine access. How long will the process take until I hear if I am asked for an interview or receive a decision? I called the MSW department a couple of weeks ago and was told I could have to wait until May or June for a decision considering I applied in Feb.

Getting anxious (ugh, when will that grad school stress go away), especially since they did not contact me for an interview yet. Do you have to have an interview in order to be accepted? Can you be granted admission without an interview? 

I would appreciate any feedback on my profile and about what to expect from UMich as I don't have any acquaintances applying at UMich.

Thanks! 

Hey Tess! I see you posted this a few weeks back, so I am not sure if you have heard anything yet, but if you haven't I would suggest contacting the school of social work and seeing if coming in for an interview would help your chances of being accepted. I was in a similar situation, I applied 2 years ago (late March) and was waitlisted and I just accepted this as my fate. I reapplied this year and was accepted after they asked me to come in for an interview. I think the reason for my interview was that I have attended like 4 schools because I moved between two states and while waiting for in-state tuition to kick in, I took classes at a community college before transferring to a university (to avoid the sky-high out of state tuition), and they wanted to hear more about this "unusual" part of my application. The priority deadline was like December 1st or something I think, I was interviewed like December 20th-ish, and then accepted January 4th so I think it really helped cement my spot in the program to explain my application weakness. I was also awarded $25,000 in scholarships so I really think the interview helped me!  All that being said though, the year I applied after the priority deadline I was initially waitlisted and had to re-apply the following year! I did also hear of some people who were initially waitlisted, went in for an interview, and then were subsequently admitted off the waitlist so really anything can happen!

Good luck! I hope you either have already heard something or hear something soon!!

16 hours ago, mmmali said:

Also accepted into Michigan SSW! Did anyone submit a re-application for more funding, or ask for more funding than originally offered over email or phone?

Hey! I also got accepted into Michigan SSW and was wondering the same thing. I only got offered some loans and a work study. Did you get offered any scholarships? What are the options to ask for more funding? 

On 5/1/2018 at 7:56 PM, mmmali said:

Also accepted into Michigan SSW! Did anyone submit a re-application for more funding, or ask for more funding than originally offered over email or phone?

Hello! I plan on submitting a re-application, but I'm also trying to figure out other things first such as where to live! Thankfully, the office told me there is no deadline to submit the re-application form.

On 5/2/2018 at 12:47 PM, CCollins said:

Hey! I also got accepted into Michigan SSW and was wondering the same thing. I only got offered some loans and a work study. Did you get offered any scholarships? What are the options to ask for more funding? 

It's an application asking for no more than a 5-page statement on reconsideration for merit scholarships. If you PM me your email address, I can forward it to you!

11 hours ago, Danica said:

It's an application asking for no more than a 5-page statement on reconsideration for merit scholarships. If you PM me your email address, I can forward it to you!

Thanks! I emailed the financial aid office and they sent me the form. How are you deciding on how much to ask for? I have been trying to read other forums because I don't want to ask for too much and get denied but want to ask for enough since I am out of state. What were your thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

Lurking gradcafe for a bit and joined to ask the question: has anyone been accepted off of the waitlist without having to interview?

I've had my fingers crossed at getting off of the waitlist, and I haven't been requested to interview. It's the start of June and I'm losing more hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all fellow 2018 students... im wondering which date everyone has for registration....im trying to find out what the first day to register for classes is so i can figure out if im at start or end of the registration period. 

Also, any 'non traditional'students out there? Folks going back to school after a long time out of university ? Looking forward to your replies. 

Edited by Nlerner

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2018 at 12:51 PM, RallyGoose said:

Lurking gradcafe for a bit and joined to ask the question: has anyone been accepted off of the waitlist without having to interview?

I've had my fingers crossed at getting off of the waitlist, and I haven't been requested to interview. It's the start of June and I'm losing more hope.

I did an interview and I’m still on the waitlist. I’m checking my Wolverine Access 3x a day just waiting to hear SOMETHING. At my interview I was told that they are full so unless people who already paid the deposit decide to drop out, there won’t be any spots available. 

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, rach19 said:

when did you get access to wolverine access? I'm applying this year and haven't received any sort of log in information

You have to sign up for wolverine access. The information should be in your confirmation email on how to do it.