Geography 2008

rising_star

hola, geographers.

i got in to uga on 1/19, i think it was. now that's service. the application was due on the first, but i think a thing or two came in on the 2nd or the 3rd. just over two weeks later, i get a letter in the mail. it's nice to be in somewhere. i'm waiting on 4 other schools, only one other being geography: berkeley geography, ucla urban planning, wisconsin sociology, and cuny anthropology. based on this site's last year's "results" page, i should hear from wisconsin around the 10th of feb, berkeley by the end of feb, ucla in march (though i think there was a feb result in there, too), and i found nothing for cuny, though they told me that the admissions committee meets monthly, starting in february (or was it january?) and that they start by admitting & rejecting the most obvious admits/rejects, then adjourn until the next month, and do the same thing again, and just keep on going til they have an entering class.

it's funny how much time i can waste wandering around in these details. what difference does it make?!!! eventually, at some point in the not too distant future, there will be a notification, probably by email, and that'll be it.

but praise be to georgia, where they obviously know how to skin an application. if i had it to do over again, i'd tell each school that i was going to take the first offer, so they'd better hurry up, already. thank god i don't have it to do over again.

Who are you interested in working with at UGA? Any news on funding?

Also, what's your specific interest? I'm curious, especially since you applied to anthropology programs too. Are you interested in working with Setha Low at CUNY by any chance?

Hey guys, I just found this forum.

I'm a senior geography major at Denver University. I've applied to the geography programs at UBC Vancouver, UNC Chapel Hill, and the urban planning programs at MIT and Harvard. I spoke with UNC Chapel Hill today and they've sent out acceptance letters to top four candidates so far. Also, they noted that they've received a 15% increase in applications this year making their acceptance rate roughly 7% :shock:

Congrats to those who have been accepted already! I expect to here from my first programs by late February!

hey brittdreams,

at uga, i'm interested in studying with a guy named nik heynen. for ucla (urban planning) and uga geography, i said that i was interested in studying the political economy of the local housing market (whatever that means), & for my other schools (cuny anthro, u of wi sociology, & berkeley geography) i said, in one way or another, that i'm interetsed in studying the changing geography of the apparel industry using, among other things, commodity chain analysis. and so on. how about you?

i'm not really keeping mum. you could check the survey results and find out pretty much exactly where i've heard from. but the bottom line is that i haven't received funding from anywhere officially so, as far as i'm concerned, i'm not going anywhere. i may just move back home and teach high school English, which was the only class that rivaled math in its awfulness for me when I was in high school.

You only applied to two schools? Now that takes guts!

I have a third in a natural resources department that does environmental justice issues. It's not so much guts as it was finding faculty members that I felt would "fit" my interests. I found three departments, but usually multiple faculty that I'd like to work with in each department. Maybe I'll cast the net a little wider should there have to be a next time, but the cost of applications was a pretty large concern for me as well.

Ah ollie, that totally makes sense. I assume the natural resources is SNRE at Michigan? Good luck with your three! I hope they turn out well for you. So your interests are in environmental justice?

Yeah, it sure is. My mentor at my undergrad is actually a graduate from there, so I really have my fingers crossed. Seems like it would be cold though -- I'm originally from San Diego, so the snow is terrifying.

Environmental justice is definitely the topic in which I have the most research experience, but I'm actually interested in any spatial distribution of inequality based on socioeconomic class, race, or gender. I really felt that space was the missing dimension in my sociology studies. I'm a computer geek and I love GIS -- I see this as a way I can best benefit society and fight institutionalized oppression.

I'm actually oddly calm about the whole thing, because even if none of my schools pan out, I've learned a lot about myself in the crucible of applications. I feel as though I know what I'm "supposed" to be doing. It's a great feeling. :)

Hi, just found this forum.

I'm a senior geography student at the University of Southern Mississippi. So far I've been accepted and nominated for a fellowship at Ohio State. Still waiting to hear from the University of Denver, George Washington, and Univ. of Colorado-Boulder.

I'm a senior geography student at the University of Southern Mississippi. So far I've been accepted and nominated for a fellowship at Ohio State. Still waiting to hear from the University of Denver, George Washington, and Univ. of Colorado-Boulder.

What's your focus area? I looked at Ohio State when I applied for MA programs... You can PM me if you want more of an insider (but still outsider) perspective on the department. Though my knowledge is fairly limited.

Hey. I'm a senior at University of Denver in the Geog. Department? Which faculty are you looking to work with? Dr. Taylor? I could give you some suggestions about Professors here if you like.

I just read that CU-Boulder accepts 100% of their applicants so no need to worry there.

And I have yet to hear from my 6 schools ( 2 have their deadlines until march) except for that slightly disappointing email from a prof at UNC Chapel-Hill...Nothing official yet

Who are you looking to work with at Ohio State, out of curiousity?

I just read that CU-Boulder accepts 100% of their applicants so no need to worry there.

And I have yet to hear from my 6 schools ( 2 have their deadlines until march) except for that slightly disappointing email from a prof at UNC Chapel-Hill...Nothing official yet

Is CU-Boulder completely not competitive these days? I thought they still were even though it seems like their better young faculty...

Who are you looking to work with at Ohio State, out of curiousity?

I'm looking to work with Dr. Kendra McSweeney.

Is CU-Boulder completely not competitive these days? I thought they still were even though it seems like their better young faculty...

CU-Boulder says they accept about 1 in 5 applicants. Their last figures said there were 123 applicants and they accepted 39, which is more than 1 in 5, but obviously not 100%.