Masters Applicants for Fall 2018!! Anybody out there?

citrus00

I just wanted to make a thread for Masters applicants for Fall 2018.
I see a lot of posts are for PhD applicants but not really Masters!

Where did you guys apply? What kind of programs did you guys apply for? Have you heard back from any of them yet? 

Let's talk while waiting for the results =]

Here's a little bits of how I'm doing:

Field/Program: Biomedical Engineering, M.S. and M.S.E.

Schools: UCLA, UCSD, UC-Irvine, Duke, Rutgers, Boston, Johns Hopkins 

Status? Haven't heard anything back yet... Although I was contacted by one of the professors from UCLA. 

I applied for M.A. with an intention of doing a Ph.D after, but I feel I need the M.A. first.

Field/Program: Spanish/Hispanic Studies with a focus on Peninsular Literature

Schools: Colorado-Boulder, Illinois-Urbana-Champaign, Washington (Seattle), Toronto, McGill, Texas Tech

Status? Interview this week with Texas Tech. No word on anything yet. 

I've applied at a mix of PhDs and MSs

Field/Program: Geography with a research interests in fire ecology and hydrology

Schools: Idaho, Penn State, New Mexico, and Wisconsin

Status? Nothing yet. Feb 1 is a common application date for Geography. I turned in all of mine by Dec 15. I'm hoping to start hearing things soon.

Hi all! 

Field/Program:  Urban and Regional Planning, MURP/MSCRP with research interests in affordable housing finance and development. 

Schools:  Minnesota-Minneapolis, UT Austin, Portland State, Maryland, Michigan-Ann Arbor

Status?:  I was accepted to Minnesota, but no word on funding.  I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from the other programs.

Hello! 

Field/Program: Biomedical Engineering, MS

Schools: UCLA, USC, Duke, Purdue, University of Washington, University of Michigan, Northwestern, Johns Hopkins

Status?: Accepted to USC! Yet to hear back from anywhere else

I am a mix as well the one program I've been accepted at so far was for an MA in Communications.

Still waiting on one, and funding for the MA program.

BTW does anyone know about funding for MA? Is it more likely? Less likely?

Hi! I'm a Canadian applicant who finally got some good news ^_^

Field/Program: Library and Information Science/ Information 

Schools: University of Toronto, Western University

Status? Accepted by UofT woohoo! It's my top school, so I won't be waiting for Western's response :) Wishing everyone the best!

re: funding for MA-- it's very rare in Canada iirc, but I'm not sure about the American system

6 minutes ago, surprise_quiche said:

I am a mix as well the one program I've been accepted at so far was for an MA in Communications.

Still waiting on one, and funding for the MA program.

BTW does anyone know about funding for MA? Is it more likely? Less likely?

It's less likely, especially if the program has PhDs. The funding for teaching assistantships always goes to PhDs first, as do research positions. I'm in a program with only an MA housed in the department but the funding is still not guaranteed. It's based on who was accepted first, if the department prioritizes some funding or full funding for MA (some department argue that all MA students getting 1 class will lower tuition costs, but students will still need to find another job or take out loans) and enrollement numbers. I was accepted too late my first year to get a TA position, but I searched for and got an administrative graduate position which secures funding for 3 years (most MAs are maxed at 4 semesters funding). If you're not offered full funding immediately, always search out graduate positions in administrative departements (Deans of students, student services, library, etc). They usually are much easier to secure the following year for MA students t and have fewer restrictions.

Finally a thread just for Master's! Hard to sort through everything when it's mostly Ph.D.'s

Field/Program: Counseling/ School Counseling

Schools: Northwestern, Penn State, Colorado State, Colorado- Denver, University of Arizona

Status: Nothing yet, but I know Colorado-Denver and Arizona send out interview requests mid Feb and the others are usually late Feb/ early March. 

Field/Program: MA Psychology- Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience, MPH - Social and Behavioral Sciences, MHS - Addictions Studies, and a few post-baccalaureate programs

Schools: SDSU, UNR, Governors State University, IUPUI, Ohio State, Northwestern

Status? All of my programs are under review right now, except one. I was accepted to the MHS - Addictions Studies program back in August! It had rolling admissions and I applied early.

1 hour ago, BooksUponBooks said:

Hi! I'm a Canadian applicant who finally got some good news ^_^

Field/Program: Library and Information Science/ Information 

Schools: University of Toronto, Western University

Status? Accepted by UofT woohoo! It's my top school, so I won't be waiting for Western's response :) Wishing everyone the best!

re: funding for MA-- it's very rare in Canada iirc, but I'm not sure about the American system

Hi! First of all, congratulations!!! :) I'm so happy you got your top choice!!! :) 

I have also applied to UofT (MA and MEd at OISE).  I am just wondering how you got your acceptance? (i.e. email, call, ACORN/ROSI or was it mailed)

I am so excited people are starting to hear back from them! It's my top school as well!! :) Do let me know!!

Thanks and congrats again!! :)

On 2/2/2018 at 2:34 PM, cmm said:

Hi all! 

Field/Program:  Urban and Regional Planning, MURP/MSCRP with research interests in affordable housing finance and development. 

Schools:  Minnesota-Minneapolis, UT Austin, Portland State, Maryland, Michigan-Ann Arbor

Status?:  I was accepted to Minnesota, but no word on funding.  I'm anxiously waiting to hear back from the other programs.

Yay for planning! I currently work as a planner for a local municipality. I'm looking away from the field but found it to be very rewarding. Good luck!

1 hour ago, MehK said:

Hi! First of all, congratulations!!! :) I'm so happy you got your top choice!!! :) 

I have also applied to UofT (MA and MEd at OISE).  I am just wondering how you got your acceptance? (i.e. email, call, ACORN/ROSI or was it mailed)

I am so excited people are starting to hear back from them! It's my top school as well!! :) Do let me know!!

Thanks and congrats again!! :)

Thank you, me too! :)

I received mine through email, though I had to ask for an early consideration first due to a timing situation. If you're in a squeeze, shoot them an email and see what happens! The worst they can do is say no :)

I hope you hear back soon with positive news ^_^ 

Program: School Counseling

Schools: WWU, Gonzaga University, and EWU 

Status: Got an interview with Gonzaga scheduled for the 20th! The rest are still under review, but the deadline was just on the 1st. Never been more anxious in my life. Worst thing is I am graduating in March with my B.S. and I have no idea where I’m going/what I’m doing until I hear back from these schools! 

12 hours ago, iHaveAquestions said:

Finally a thread just for Master's! Hard to sort through everything when it's mostly Ph.D.'s

Field/Program: Counseling/ School Counseling

Schools: Northwestern, Penn State, Colorado State, Colorado- Denver, University of Arizona

Status: Nothing yet, but I know Colorado-Denver and Arizona send out interview requests mid Feb and the others are usually late Feb/ early March. 

Yay! Another school counseling friend out there. Good luck :)

Program: School Counseling

Schools: Fairfield University, Alfred University, Boston College, Boston University, Rutgers University, The College of New Jersey

Status: Have interviews at Alfred ( 2/17) and Fairfield at the the end of March.

SO ANXIOUS to hear back from my other schools but I know it is going to be another month. 

1 hour ago, Just Accept me Already said:

Hi Everyone, 

I'm so glad to finally find a thread for Masters applicants!

Field/Program: Counseling Psychology

Schools: Colorado State, Arizona State, University of Kansas, University of Akron and Penn State 

Status: Interview with Colorado, but anxiously waiting for the rest

School counseling checking in! I've applied to CSU and PSU as well- good luck!

12 hours ago, scaredaf said:

anybody heard from any biomedical programs yet? USC, UCSD, Duke, UMich, etc. 

I have been accepted to USC BME! I didn't apply to UCSD, so i'm not sure what their timeline is. However, by the looks of it on the results pages Duke and UMich don't notify until march... so I'm guessing same with UCSD, since they are all top programs. I have not heard back from any other programs yet (UW, UCLA, Northwestern, Purdue, JHU), though. I will keep my earlier post updated though! :) 

Hi there!

Field/Program: Prosthetics & Orthotics 

Schools: Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine (NUPOC), Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Pittsburgh

Status: Accepted into Northwestern back in January (rolling admissions)! Should be hearing back from the others any day now. Really nervous about GaTech because they have the smallest program cohort and the program director calls well in advance of a decision on applyweb. Have been sick lately so worried my voice sound super weird, but have religiously been attached to my phone and changed it to an obnoxious ringtone so that I won't miss the call. Darn this suspense!

P.S. If there are any other MSPO peeps out there, it would be awesome to have someone to talk to. Can seem so lonely with such a small field and almost no one to talk to that understands your struggle lol