Masters Applicants for Fall 2018!! Anybody out there?

citrus00

Hi!

Field/Program: Masters in Social Work

Schools: San Jose State University

Status: Deadline to apply was February 1 so still waiting to hear back, I hope I get in!

I applied right after graduation 10 years ago, didn't get in. Now I'm applying again after gaining some much needed experience.

Good luck everyone!

@surprise_quiche Northwestern is definitely my top choice. The only reason I haven’t officially accepted the offer is because I plan on asking for more money in March. Anybody with any advice on asking for more money at the masters level, I’m all ears! I hear about PhD students negotiating all the time but I’m not so sure about masters students. 

14 hours ago, SpelGrad said:

@surprise_quiche Northwestern is definitely my top choice. The only reason I haven’t officially accepted the offer is because I plan on asking for more money in March. Anybody with any advice on asking for more money at the masters level, I’m all ears! I hear about PhD students negotiating all the time but I’m not so sure about masters students. 

Yeah I'm not sure, mid-March RPC sends out decisions so I'm definitely waiting til then to make a decision, but I don't know if masters have any bargaining power either.

On 2/11/2018 at 10:58 PM, MehK said:

Hey, thanks for your post! :)

Really? From what I have read so far in all the posts is that sgs would be the last one to update their status! Oh well, I just want to hear from them soon!!!

Ps. best of luck to you!! :) 

1 hour ago, D'Kruzzer said:

Hi!

I have applied to the master's program in Electrical engineering (Power Electronics track) at CU BOULDER for fall 2018. I submitted my application on October 28. When can I expect an announcement regarding the same??

Based on previous years, it looks like you can expect to hear something in early-mid March! But don't count on that as being reliable because it was a small sample and most seemed to be PhD applicants until about 2014.

Hi all! 

Field/Program: Masters in Environmental Science/Environmental Studies

Schools: Emory University, American University, University of Montana, University of Oregon, Washington State University

Status: I've been accepted to American, but haven't heard back from any of the other schools. 

Hey all! I applied for a mix of MFA, MS and MPS.

Field/Program: Design Management

Schools: Pratt Institute, Savannah College of Art and Design, The New School

Status: Accepted into Savannah last week, went into 2nd interview with Pratt but they bailed on that, so waiting for a new schedule (If anyone has advice on what I should do other than emailing them non-stop please let me know!), and haven't heard back from The New School since ever.

On 2/18/2018 at 10:59 AM, ohdeargodwhy said:

I'm applying to MS programs in Human Computer Interaction / Information, specifically:

University of Michigan, MS Information
U of Indiana Bloomington, MS HCI
Georgia Tech, MS in HCI - Psychology
Cornell Tech, MS Health Tech
Syracuse, MS Applied Data Science
Carnegie Mellon, MS HCI
U of North Carolina, MSIS
and possibly Bentley MS in Human Factors

My states are 
GPA 3.47 - with two notably bad semesters
GRE Q154 V166 W4.0

I'm 30 years old and have 6 years of professional experience in web design/development and some product design. I've worked at very large fortune 500 companies and small startups.
All my references are professional. 

I haven't heard from any place and have no real idea what my chances might be. I don't know how much professional experience will be valued over undergrad or if the huge split in GRE scores (97%V 54%Q) will matter. 

Here to offer hope. I'm in a similar position; 3 years of work exp, 161V, 154Q, W5.0. I didn't really think I had a chance, but I was recently accepted to Duke for their Environmental Management program. Still waiting to hear back from the 2 other programs I applied to, including IU Bloomington.

Edited by laekkauai

Hi everyone!

Field/Program: I applied to 4 MSW and 4 Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA and MS) programs

Schools: UNC Charlotte (both programs), UNC Greensboro (both programs), UNC Wilmington (MSW), NC A&T State University (MS Counseling), and Appalachian State University (both programs)

So far I had one interview at UNCG for MS in Counseling.. This was my top choice, but I know acceptances started to roll out last week. I have yet to hear anything so I am losing hope there. I have been accepted into UNCW, UNCC (MSW) and ASU (MSW). One rejection so far (2 more are probably on their way), still waiting to hear from four programs. As of right now, I am strongly considering UNCW. Great university, purely clinical MSW program...this school was a long-shot for me with my horrible GRE scores so I am surprised I got in. I guess that means the GRE is not everything haha. :P

I am so happy to have this supportive thread and good luck to you all!

Just accepted to Northwestern's BME (biomedical engineering) MS program!

Have now been accepted to from 3 programs: Northwestern, Duke, and USC

Still waiting to hear back from UCLA, University of Michigan, University of Washington, and Purdue

Duke was my top choice (ranked higher), but Northwestern is also a great school. Do you guys think Northwestern is worth visiting? I am planning on attending Duke's admit day on April 6th, but Northwestern's deadline to respond is March 23rd. Any advice on what to do? Much help appreciated! :) 

Hi there!

Field: Environmental Engineering

Status: Admits from Columbia, CMU and CU Boulder. 2 scholarships at CMU, hoping for funding at Boulder.

Pending: Georgia Tech, USC, Penn State, UIUC, Virginia Tech

Can anyone tell me about CUB and Boulder in general? Rankings say its great for my subject and I've heard good things about jobs/living, but I'd like to get more opinions. Thanks!

Sorry in advance, but I would appreciate honest feedback as to what y'all think my odds are of getting into Long Beach, Fullerton, or Dominguez Hills, and I would really appreciate any feedback you have. 

I had a 3.313 from UCI in Psychology and Social Behavior, and a 3.28 at my community college. My last 60 units were all at UCI, so 3.313 is my last 60 units. I want to work with child protective services, then move onto found my own wraparound program, my passion is with the kiddos. 

I have just under a year of experience with special needs with respite care, 8 or so years of experience with children, 7 months of experience with at-risk youth, and 4 years of experience at a home for abused women and children. I was also part of an honor fraternity if that matters at all.

I currently work in accounting, just something to pay the bills, but a skill I also believe to be an important aspect to social work as it utilizes organization, management and office skills. Hope to hear from you all soon. 

Again, good luck to you all!

I applied to 4 schools:

Cleveland State University, Oklahoma State University, Texas Tech University, Tennessee Tech University.  

Program: MS Electrical Engineering 

Anyone heard anything from the above mentioned schools.  because I haven't gotten any notification. Application under review the waiting is draining. 

Field/Program: History/Classical studies

Schools: UC San Diego (history), Brown (history), University of Iowa (history), Brandeis (ancient Greek and Roman studies), Colorado - Boulder (classics), U Chicago (MAPH)

Status: Waiting, praying, and wondering how else I could have spent the application money

Honestly, not very confident in my applications due to weak statement of purposes. I just want a decision so I can move forward with my plans and what I'll be doing until next year's cycle. If anyone else applied to the same programs let me know so we can freak out together!

Program: Clinical mental health counseling

Schools:  Lock Haven University 

I’m applying to an online program but my GPA is not great at 3.2 out of 4,  never considered graduate school so I never focused on grades. I did get solid letters of recommendation but I felt the interview could have gone better. I am not sure what my chances are overall so I don’t want get to much hope.

Field/Program: Positive Psych, I/O Psych, Human Resources, Marketing

Schools: Penn, Chicago, Columbia, BU, Claremont, NYU, Michigan, Illinois

Status? Admitted to BU and Claremont, Interview with Michigan, and waiting on the others

On 2/21/2018 at 11:12 PM, MSWbyTheSea said:

Hi everyone!

Field/Program: I applied to 4 MSW and 4 Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA and MS) programs

Schools: UNC Charlotte (both programs), UNC Greensboro (both programs), UNC Wilmington (MSW), NC A&T State University (MS Counseling), and Appalachian State University (both programs)

So far I had one interview at UNCG for MS in Counseling.. This was my top choice, but I know acceptances started to roll out last week. I have yet to hear anything so I am losing hope there. I have been accepted into UNCW, UNCC (MSW) and ASU (MSW). One rejection so far (2 more are probably on their way), still waiting to hear from four programs. As of right now, I am strongly considering UNCW. Great university, purely clinical MSW program...this school was a long-shot for me with my horrible GRE scores so I am surprised I got in. I guess that means the GRE is not everything haha. :P

I am so happy to have this supportive thread and good luck to you all!

Congratulation on getting into UNCW!! I hope you receive good news on the other schools you're waiting for!

On 2/22/2018 at 10:34 AM, gabgab said:

Field/Program: History/Classical studies

Schools: UC San Diego (history), Brown (history), University of Iowa (history), Brandeis (ancient Greek and Roman studies), Colorado - Boulder (classics), U Chicago (MAPH)

Status: Waiting, praying, and wondering how else I could have spent the application money

Honestly, not very confident in my applications due to weak statement of purposes. I just want a decision so I can move forward with my plans and what I'll be doing until next year's cycle. If anyone else applied to the same programs let me know so we can freak out together!

Just got rejected from Colorado - Boulder, stings but honestly very happy to at least hear back. Best of luck to all!

Hey everyone!
This wait is turning out to be longer than expected. But anyway.

Field/Program: Creative Writing & Publishing (applied to mostly MFAs and one MA/MS)

Schools: Portland State (x2 programs), Hollins, Emerson, Virginia Commonwealth, and University of New Hampshire

Status: Accepted at Emerson, waiting to hear back from everywhere else :unsure:

Good luck everyone!! 

Edited by hyrule
Clarification

On 2/22/2018 at 1:37 AM, BeckieMSWFall2018 said:

Sorry in advance, but I would appreciate honest feedback as to what y'all think my odds are of getting into Long Beach, Fullerton, or Dominguez Hills, and I would really appreciate any feedback you have. 

I had a 3.313 from UCI in Psychology and Social Behavior, and a 3.28 at my community college. My last 60 units were all at UCI, so 3.313 is my last 60 units. I want to work with child protective services, then move onto found my own wraparound program, my passion is with the kiddos. 

I have just under a year of experience with special needs with respite care, 8 or so years of experience with children, 7 months of experience with at-risk youth, and 4 years of experience at a home for abused women and children. I was also part of an honor fraternity if that matters at all.

I currently work in accounting, just something to pay the bills, but a skill I also believe to be an important aspect to social work as it utilizes organization, management and office skills. Hope to hear from you all soon. 

Again, good luck to you all!

Are you applying to social work programs or psychology programs? I don't know much from the social work standpoint, but as a psychology major, I know one thing that was pounded into our heads was how important a good GPA was for our chances of getting into a grad school program. That said, a 3.313 is pretty great for your last 60 units, and that much experience for the field you're interested in would definitely tip the tables in your favor, in my mind.

I obviously don't really know for sure, but I hope you find your place at one of those schools! It sounds like you want to do amazing things. Good luck!!