Masters Applicants for Fall 2018!! Anybody out there?

citrus00

I applied to 6 MA programs and 4 PhD programs. My goal schools were the MA programs and honestly, each PhD application was a reach so I wasn't surprised when I was rejected from them. It was also really difficult to find funded MA programs for English/Literature.

Field/Program: English Literature

Schools: 

MA:

• The University of Alabama,
  • The University of Tennessee in Knoxville
  •  Texas A&M University
  • The University of Mississippi 
  • The University of Missouri
  • University of Maryland

PhD:

• Vanderbilt
  • Emory
  • Rice
  • The University of Texas at Austin 

Accepted:

• The University of Alabama (Strode)
  • The University of Tennessee in Knoxville 

Rejected:

• Rice
  • I assume I am also not getting into Vanderbilt, Emory and UTA because the interviews and acceptances have already been sent out and I haven't gotten anything. I also rescinded my Ole Miss application soon after I submitted (good bye money). 

Anyway, I got into my number one school with full funding and a great lit program thats pretty well esteemed! Im gonna enjoy my time as an MA student but im determined to do a really good job b/c I really want to go to Vanderbilt once its time to start my PhD. 

P.S I took a year off between after undergrad. The application process was so brutal the first time around as almost everyone of these schools rejected me in 2017. The only thing different about this years application is a bullet point on my resume acknowledging how I've spent this past year as a waitress and a newly revived statement of purpose. Gap years are stressfull and I felt resentful a lot of the time but it made my application so much stronger b/c I had time to evaluate what I wanted to do with my life and why.

On 2/13/2018 at 4:58 PM, Kvir said:

Field/Program: Sculpture, MFA

Schools: Alfred, Edinboro, RIT, Syracuse, UB 

Status? Interviewed with Syracuse yesterday and Alfred today and now I'm waiting. Accepted to UB via email today. Waiting to hear from Edinboro and RIT. 

I also interviewed with Alfred. I did mine 2/15 also waiting to hear. For Sculpture. I JUST WANT TO KNOW!! Best of luck to you!

Program/Field: MFA Sculpture/interdisciplinary arts

Schools: Alfred University, Eastern Carolina, University of Delaware, Notre Dame, Florida State

Status: Accepted: ECU, UD, FSU -full tuition and stipend for FSU and UD Interview with Alfred 2/15, waiting for a response (told 2 weeks) No word from ND yet.

AN UPDATE: I think I'm actually starting to lose my mind. I had two interviews this week, and for one of them we were told we would hear back within 3-5 days. Well. It's day 3 and FRIDAY so I got my hopes up that I would hear from them today, because why would they send out acceptances on the weekend?! If anyone knows anything about this please let me know! I'm not sure if they meant 3-5 business days or what... but anyway, lots of refreshing and disappointment to see nothing. My anxiety is fierce and I have no motivation to do anything else. I really want to go to this school!! 

On 15/02/2018 at 1:02 AM, tjw said:

Hey Folks! Just like most people, the wait is painful.... I feel ya :P

Field/Program: Environmental Engineering (Water and Wastewater Treatment Processes)

Schools: UC Berkeley, U Washington, U Utah, U Arizona, U Nevada-Reno, U Colorado Boulder, U Virginia, U Wisconsin, Oregon State

Status: Accepted into U Colorado Boulder in late Jan. Still waiting on the rest. Keeping my fingers crossed and praying for the best!

Applied to UC Berkeley as well

Field: Energy and Resources, MS

Anyone else who did? 

On 2/8/2018 at 3:42 PM, lafry said:

@scared

My stats are: 

Bioengineering B.S. at top public school

GRE: 160v/168Q/5.0

GPA: 3.75 (major), slightly lower overall

2 years research on campus, 1 research internship at major hospital, senior design project

no publications, but hoping my 3 good rec letters make up for it!

I was also worried I didn't apply to enough safety schools - then I was accepted to USC so it calmed me down! :) 

Applied: UCLA, USC (accepted), JHU, Duke, Northwestern, UMich, Purdue, U Washington

What do you guys think? 

I applied to USC's MS biomedical engineering program but have not heard back from them. The app portal says everything has been submitted on time. Do they stagger admissions? Or is it a rolling admissions process? Admittedly, I submitted the app very close to the deadline, so maybe they notified you because you submitted your materials before me?

I was accepted into the University of Kansas!

I am both happy and worried about the tuition since I won't know if I receive an assistantship until the end of March - beginning of April. I'm also supposed to hear back from my two top schools, sometime next week. So right now I'm basically a bundle of hopeful anxiety, and I'm refreshing my email every two hours, even though I know no school would send out their decisions during the weekend. 

I've gotten in to both NC State and West Virginia University with with teaching assistantships for each of them, but I'm still waiting to hear back from University of Delaware and Syracuse. I have no idea how to make a decision and I hate sitting here in limbo without the full picture. I should be happy but this makes grad school realer and ever looming. Have I been rejected, can they please just tell me?? I'm a crazy spreadsheet maker when it comes to decisions, but I can't finish those until I know!

14 hours ago, bfirkus said:

I applied to USC's MS biomedical engineering program but have not heard back from them. The app portal says everything has been submitted on time. Do they stagger admissions? Or is it a rolling admissions process? Admittedly, I submitted the app very close to the deadline, so maybe they notified you because you submitted your materials before me?

I just got my offer of admission, and I submitted my fully completed application in December - much before the deadline. Some of my seniors from college got theirs in March when they applied last year. So I'm not sure how this process works.

Then again, I'm international....does that make a difference?

On another note, does anybody know when the last date to accept/decline this offer is?

Edited by scared

On 2/24/2018 at 12:43 PM, bfirkus said:

16 hours ago, scared said:

I just got my offer of admission, and I submitted my fully completed application in December - much before the deadline. Some of my seniors from college got theirs in March when they applied last year. So I'm not sure how this process works.

Then again, I'm international....does that make a difference?

On another note, does anybody know when the last date to accept/decline this offer is?

Yes I believe they do a rolling admission... But I can't say for sure. I also submitted mine in early December, which I guess led me to have an earlier acceptance. However, I do know they have the admitted students welcome day march 23rd, so they've gotta accept/reject everyone by then.

I got an email after my acceptance that said May 15th is the deadline. 

Hey guys! 

Field/Program: Biomedical Engineering, MSc / MEng / MASc

Schools: Ku Leuven , University of Toronto , University of British Columbia , McGill , EPFL

Status?:  Accepted into Leuven , still waiting to hear back from the others. 

Good luck to everyone :) 

Yay for a Masters thread! I'm going out of my mind waiting to hear back, so hopefully this will help?

Field/Program: Theatre Arts/Studies (MA)

Schools: Villanova, Eastern Michigan (I'm still beating myself up for only applying to two schools, but it's too late now haha)

Status? Found out Friday that I've been accepted to Villanova (interviewed for funding, but no word yet), still waiting to hear from Eastern Michigan. 

I'm so nervous because theatre wasn't my field in undergrad, though I have a lot of experience and I feel so confident about my personal statement. I just wish I had a timeline/any idea of how or when EMU decisions will roll out :unsure: Good luck to everybody!

On 2/23/2018 at 10:28 PM, Teishakh said:

I also interviewed with Alfred. I did mine 2/15 also waiting to hear. For Sculpture. I JUST WANT TO KNOW!! Best of luck to you!

That interview was nerve-wracking! Best of luck to you too! Hopefully we hear by the end of this week!!!

On 2/18/2018 at 3:59 PM, ohdeargodwhy said:

University of Michigan, MS Information
U of Indiana Bloomington, MS HCI
Georgia Tech, MS in HCI - Psychology
Cornell Tech, MS Health Tech
Syracuse, MS Applied Data Science
Carnegie Mellon, MS HCI
U of North Carolina, MSIS
and possibly Bentley MS in Human Factors

Update: I was accepted to Syracuse but the program is new and I don't have much info about the course rigor and acceptance rates. Rejected from UNC but the program was not a great fit for my interests so unsurprising. 

Hey everyone!

Applied Behavior Analysis Programs. (CSULA, CSUN, UC)

So two of my deadlines were in January. One is rolling and it was complete mid Feb. 

I've heard back from the two in Jan, had one interview and will have the other this week.  

For the interview that I had around 2 weeks ago, still no reply. Not sure whether that's normal or bad. 

Praying so much, this waiting game is no joke. 

Hi everyone! :) 

Field/ Program: Master of Social Work 

Schools: University of Houston & Texas State University

Status: Recently applied deadlines are March 1st & March 15th. Now I just wait to hear back

Good Luck to everyone & congrats to everyone who's been accepted!! 

On 2/23/2018 at 8:11 PM, ThisIsCruel said:

AN UPDATE: I think I'm actually starting to lose my mind. I had two interviews this week, and for one of them we were told we would hear back within 3-5 days. Well. It's day 3 and FRIDAY so I got my hopes up that I would hear from them today, because why would they send out acceptances on the weekend?! If anyone knows anything about this please let me know! I'm not sure if they meant 3-5 business days or what... but anyway, lots of refreshing and disappointment to see nothing. My anxiety is fierce and I have no motivation to do anything else. I really want to go to this school!! 

Program: School Counseling

Schools: Gonzaga University, Western Washington University, Eastern Washington University

Status: Accepted (0/3) Rejected (0/3) Interview (1/3) Interview Completed & Waiting to hear back (2/3)

Got accepted to Gonzaga !!!

9 hours ago, surprise_quiche said:

Anyone know typically how long TA contracts in Masters programs are offered for (1 year or 2 years)?

I think it depends on the school. I’ve seen some where it could be as short as one semester and others where it’s the whole time while you’re there. 

I have just been accepted to University of Michigan's BME MS program! Excited!

So now, I have heard positive responses from USC, Duke, Northwestern, and University of Michigan. 

Still waiting on UCLA, Purdue, and University of Washington.

Looks like my decision will be harder than I thought!

6 minutes ago, lafry said:

I have just been accepted to University of Michigan's BME MS program! Excited!

So now, I have heard positive responses from USC, Duke, Northwestern, and University of Michigan. 

Still waiting on UCLA, Purdue, and University of Washington.

Looks like my decision will be harder than I thought!

Me too! Was very very surprised to hear back, because when I mailed the department a few days ago to ask when decisions come out, they told me that we would be informed in April o.o