2018 Admissions, decisions, interviews, and the like

Manuscriptess

Decisions from schools on the west coast come out later in the day than schools on the east coast, right? Obvious, I know, but I just wanna make sure I don't shut off my computer at 5:00 if there's a chance I could still hear back from CA schools later in the day.

21 hours ago, pim81590 said:

@Manuscriptess I'm in CA and have had friends hear as late as 6-7 PM west coast time, FYI. Not positive about other CA schools, but evening is fair game for the UC's so far this cycle it seems. 

During my cycle, I received decisions from the UCs at night. Santa Barbara sent theirs closer to 10-11pm (I remember this clearly because I was in bed and still obsessively checking email on my phone). I found it odd because all the Midwestern and Northeastern programs I applied to sent notifications in the morning or early afternoon.

On 2/7/2018 at 12:57 PM, ashiepoo72 said:

During my cycle, I received decisions from the UCs at night. Santa Barbara sent theirs closer to 10-11pm (I remember this clearly because I was in bed and still obsessively checking email on my phone). I found it odd because all the Midwestern and Northeastern programs I applied to sent notifications in the morning or early afternoon.

Actually, all 3 of my decisions (one Eastern, one Central, one Arizona Time Zone) have arrived in the evening. I got my acceptance call from University of Alabama at 6 pm my time (7 pm their time), I got my waitlist email from Washington University in St. Louis (WashU) at 10 pm, and I got my rejection email from University of Arizona at 11 pm my time (10 pm their time). 

I think evening decision send-outs might just be a growing trend these days.

2 hours ago, fortsibut said:

I wish these Yale admits on the survey would post their damn stats.  Really not for any reason other than my curiosity, but still.

I think a big problem is that the submission form asks for all the stats, but the results page doesn't display any of them. Don't know where that data goes or what's being done with it, if it's not being displayed to visitors.

4 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

I think a big problem is that the submission form asks for all the stats, but the results page doesn't display any of them. Don't know where that data goes or what's being done with it, if it's not being displayed to visitors.

That's weird.  I've actually never submitted a decision on the site, so no idea.  Very strange that sometimes it manages to go through though, seemingly.

6 minutes ago, fortsibut said:

That's weird.  I've actually never submitted a decision on the site, so no idea.  Very strange that sometimes it manages to go through though, seemingly.

Well, people who post their results on the results page have to manually type in stats in the Notes field if they want their stats to be visible. But, in addition to the fields for Institution, Program, Decision, Date, and Notes, there are also fields for GPA, GRE V+Q+AW, and other scores. It's just that the data inputted into those stat fields don't display on the results page. The form seems to ask for the stats for no reason.

Here is what it looks like:

5a7b922c9f283_ResultsSubmissionForm.thumb.PNG.6a1f52f052e5471f72dcc89663ba6545.PNG

Edited by TheHessianHistorian

2 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Oh wait, scratch that, I just saw a diamond next to a Penn State decision. I guess the stats do show up when you hover over the diamond.

Yeah, that's why it's a little bit frustrating when people don't post them.  I guess it could identify you to the department if you post your stats and they know when you were accepted, but it's completely anonymous so I don't see what you'd have to lose.  It's not like it's attached to an account where you were smack-talking the school for getting decisions out late or something.  At the end of the day it's not a big deal but it's interesting to see how you stack up against people who get into really good programs, even though as well all know scores are only a small part of an applicant's profile.

4 minutes ago, fortsibut said:

Yeah, that's why it's a little bit frustrating when people don't post them.  I guess it could identify you to the department if you post your stats and they know when you were accepted, but it's completely anonymous so I don't see what you'd have to lose.  It's not like it's attached to an account where you were smack-talking the school for getting decisions out late or something.  At the end of the day it's not a big deal but it's interesting to see how you stack up against people who get into really good programs, even though as well all know scores are only a small part of an applicant's profile.

Yeah, I always fill out my stats when I post a decision. I assumed a lot more people were doing it and it just wasn't showing up on the results page. I guess only a small fraction of us are actually filling it in if only those results with red diamonds have stats listed. Don't know why more people aren't doing it.

5 minutes ago, TheHessianHistorian said:

Yeah, I always fill out my stats when I post a decision. I assumed a lot more people were doing it and it just wasn't showing up on the results page. I guess only a small fraction of us are actually filling it in if only those results with red diamonds have stats listed. Don't know why more people aren't doing it.

Hi there! To my understanding, if you fill out your stats then it will automatically show on the results page - i have posted results with and without filling out stats and the results page always demonstrates my input accordingly. But a lot people may choose not to reveal their stats for reasons such as privacy. Like one of my POIs has told me, the world of historians is very very small and (quote) "we all know each other". To some extent I think this statement also applies to some applicants. So...yep sometimes I can tell who posted a specific result, especially when that result is an acceptance to a top program. (then you may be able to link that result to a post on this forum and then to a person) am I making any sense? 

3 minutes ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Hi there! To my understanding, if you fill out your stats then it will automatically show on the results page - i have posted results with and without filling out stats and the results page always demonstrates my input accordingly. But a lot people may choose not to reveal their stats for reasons such as privacy. Like one of my POIs has told me, the world of historians is very very small and (quote) "we all know each other". To some extent I think this statement also applies to some applicants. So...yep sometimes I can tell who posted a specific result, especially when that result is an acceptance to a top program. (then you may be able to link that result to a post on this forum and then to a person) am I making any sense? 

Yeah, I concur with this, I shared result info and was intentional about not posting GRE or GPA info. It seems private and I don't think it really has a ton of explanatory power to why people eventually get in. I can not tell how many results I've seen on the board where the person talked about how great their GRE and GPA was and how they "felt" like a fit. Most useful thing I've gleaned is getting a  good idea of when results go out from each school. :wacko:

12 minutes ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

I guess that's true, but it'd only matter if a person was a big time poster about the fact that they wanted to go to x school and that they were being a real dick about it somehow, I think.  I mean, there's no direct connection between that anonymous post on the survey page and any account here, plus generally speaking there are 2+ applicants for a lot of the major programs on here that post on the forums.  I'm certainly not suggesting that people shouldn't do what they think is best and protect themselves, but I think there's a pretty negligible value to privacy here in terms of someone from the admissions department who could (if they wanted to) possibly match an account with an applicant.  Cornell would have zero trouble figuring out who I am based solely on my avatar picture here much less anything else I've posted/PM'd to people; it's not a problem from my end because I don't tear through the forums trolling people, I guess.  =)

Has anyone (including lurkers) heard of a decision today?  The silence level is lower than the jitter noise of a compact disc.  Audiophiles and music lovers will probably know what I'm talking about.  Frustration abounds!  Just want to hear something good or bad, so I can get on with my MA thesis.  

15 minutes ago, ltr317 said:

Has anyone (including lurkers) heard of a decision today?  The silence level is lower than the jitter noise of a compact disc.  Audiophiles and music lovers will probably know what I'm talking about.  Frustration abounds!  Just want to hear something good or bad, so I can get on with my MA thesis.  

I checked my portal at JHU and had the shortest rejection ever. 

@ltr317 No worries. Not a great fit at all so it was pretty much expected but I had a waived app fee so I applied 

It was one sentence: 

"Unfortunately your application into Ph.D. in History has been denied." 

Edited by FrankJEspin