BC School of Social Work

Cantaloupe121

On 3/31/2018 at 6:18 PM, ngoc9 said:

Thank you!! I hope you hear back this week!!

Thank you! I really hope so too!

Did anyone hear back from BC today? Just asking because I know they usually send decisions out around 11am.

Just got the weirdest letter in the mail. It says “we are unable to make you an acceptance offer at this time. Please email swadmit@bc.edu if you would like to be put on the active wait list.” 

Does this mean I was rejected, or wait listed? Do you think they offer everyone who is not accepted a place on the wait list? I am so confused!!! Any help would be very appreciated!!!

6 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Thank you! I really hope so too!

Did anyone hear back from BC today? Just asking because I know they usually send decisions out around 11am.

I got my email finally. 

4 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Just got the weirdest letter in the mail. It says “we are unable to make you an acceptance offer at this time. Please email swadmit@bc.edu if you would like to be put on the active wait list.” 

Does this mean I was rejected, or wait listed? Do you think they offer everyone who is not accepted a place on the wait list? I am so confused!!! Any help would be very appreciated!!!

I would call them first thing tomorrow morning. Maybe they may be able to shed some light on the situation. That is very weird though. I’m so sorry   

@Patriotsfan17 I don’t suppose you have any insight about the wording of that letter, do you? (You can say you think I was straight-up rejected, I won’t be offended, lol.)

Edit: nvm, just saw that you responded. I already emailed them but I’ll probably call too. I guess their offices were closed today because it’s the Monday after Easter?

Edited by doctormelody

39 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

@Patriotsfan17 I don’t suppose you have any insight about the wording of that letter, do you? (You can say you think I was straight-up rejected, I won’t be offended, lol.)

Edit: nvm, just saw that you responded. I already emailed them but I’ll probably call too. I guess their offices were closed today because it’s the Monday after Easter?

They were open today. At least when I called this morning. I had to call because I had a question about scholarships. Honestly, I’m not sure about your letter. I have never heard of such wording. They may have been insinuating that you were eligible for the wait list. I have never heard of colleges putting “all rejected” applicants on the wait list. I would definetly call them. I’m sure they’re will be others that don’t accept their offer. I think the program is around 80,000 ish. So I’m sure there will be openings. If I were you, I would also ask if there is potential for you to get scholarships too if they pick you off the wait list. I say this because those applications are due soon. Just food for thought. I know you really want to go to BC, but I do know there are still positions left for USC’s online MSW. It is a very good program, expensive, but I’m told it is really good. Good luck ?

5 minutes ago, Patriotsfan17 said:

They were open today. At least when I called this morning. I had to call because I had a question about scholarships. Honestly, I’m not sure about your letter. I have never heard of such wording. They may have been insinuating that you were eligible for the wait list. I have never heard of colleges putting “all rejected” applicants on the wait list. I would definetly call them. I’m sure they’re will be others that don’t accept their offer. I think the program is around 80,000 ish. So I’m sure there will be openings. If I were you, I would also ask if there is potential for you to get scholarships too if they pick you off the wait list. I say this because those applications are due soon. Just food for thought. I know you really want to go to BC, but I do know there are still positions left for USC’s online MSW. It is a very good program, expensive, but I’m told it is really good. Good luck ?

Hmm, okay, that’s good to know... they might have just been on lunch when I called or something.

I’m assuming 80,000 is a typo? Did you mean 800?

I did look into USC, but their online program doesn’t offer any scholarships, and I can’t take on that much debt in good conscience. If need be I will reapply to MSW programs next year.

Thank you for the reply and for the kind wishes!

57 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Just talked to BC and confirmed that I have been wait listed! So if anyone else gets that letter, that’s what it means, haha. I feel a little silly for being so confused but I was just really expecting to be rejected, tbh.

yay! it's not a rejection! Are you considering on being kept on the waitlist?

33 minutes ago, ngoc9 said:

yay! it's not a rejection! Are you considering on being kept on the waitlist?

Yeah, I sent them an email asking to be put on the active wait list! I don’t expect anything to come of it really but if I did get in that would be amazing.

21 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Hmm, okay, that’s good to know... they might have just been on lunch when I called or something.

I’m assuming 80,000 is a typo? Did you mean 800?

I did look into USC, but their online program doesn’t offer any scholarships, and I can’t take on that much debt in good conscience. If need be I will reapply to MSW programs next year.

Thank you for the reply and for the kind wishes!

No. I was told it’s around 40000 ish a year. That’s where I got the 80000 from. 

41 minutes ago, Patriotsfan17 said:

No. I was told it’s around 40000 ish a year. That’s where I got the 80000 from. 

Ohh for some reason I thought you were taking about the number of people in the program! ???? That makes perfect sense, I’m sorry.

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, doctormelody said:

Ohh for some reason I thought you were taking about the number of people in the program! ???? That makes perfect sense, I’m sorry.

Yeah it is really expensive. And the price per credit hour just went up to 1232 a credit hour for the fall. So without fees and books, that is about 80,000 ish. A little steep, but I heard their program is excellent, so maybe that is why it is so high.

21 minutes ago, Patriotsfan17 said:

Yeah it is really expensive. And the price per credit hour just went up to 1232 a credit hour for the fall. So without fees and books, that is about 80,000 ish. A little steep, but I heard their program is excellent, so maybe that is why it is so high.

Yeah, that's pretty crazy... I've heard they usually give out decent scholarships, though. Did you get your aid offer yet, if you don't mind me asking?

• 1 month later...

For future applicants: I was admitted off the wait list yesterday, but when I called them today they said they had no scholarship money left to award. Unless you're independently wealthy or cool with taking out a ton of loans, I wouldn't waste your time with the active wait list, unfortunately.