MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2018 (Canada)

Hey everyone,

Who else has applied/is applying to public policy programs in Canada for this fall?

So far, I've applied to just the MPPA program at Carleton since I'm based in Ottawa. If I don't get in, I can always work for a year and then apply again. I also have the public policy programs at Dalhousie and maybe UOttawa as backup options.

I considered applying to Queen's though I've decided against it for now. That's where I went for my undergrad and I'd like to go somewhere new.

@Oliveira28 I understand! I don't know much as much about the policy schools in BC since I'm based in central Canada. You could always look up past threads on this forum or on reddit if you wanted to find out more about these three schools. If you have LinkedIn, you could also use the Alumni Tool to see where graduates from each school have ended up:

https://university.linkedin.com/content/dam/university/global/en_US/site/pdf/alumni-tool-final.pdf

I prefer Carleton because the faculty research is focused on social policy, which I'm hoping on going into. Dalhousie is more of a management school plus their courses aren't supposed to be the greatest. As for UOttawa, their MPA program is not as well established. Plus UOttawa is infamous for its poorly managed bureaucracy. Carleton has a warmer vibe as a school whereas UOttawa has a colder vibe. I do like the focus on French at UOttawa although that's something I could always do on the side.

@Hopefulmpp2018 No problem! Did you apply to just that one school?

@goingwiththeflow No problem! Which school do you prefer?

@StrawberryFields67 yes, I just applied to SFU. I can’t move at the moment so schools outside of BC are not in the cards at the moment. Otherwise, I would have applied to U of T or Carlton. I also wanted an in-class experience as my second bachelor degree in Social Work was online. This is my first time applying to graduate school. I hope it turns out well. I didn’t care for the UBC program due to price and course design. I also heard that SFU’s program is like Carlton’s. 

For those of you applying to SFU, I heard we hear back sometime in early to mid March. Last year, a thread posting seem to indicate that it can happen as early as late February. Anxiety is killing me. I am really hoping that it doesn’t take a long time. SFU’s grad portal doesn’t provide a status update on their application process. 

I applied to University of Saskatchewan, Carleton & Manitoba for the MPA fall admission. My application status for usask is “decision made” I just hope it’s a favorable sign, while Manitoba is “complete and under review by department”. I’m still waiting for any change from Carleton??

Hi! Thanks for starting the thread.

I've applied to UofT for Master of Public Policy, having heard that the school is very involved in Technology Policy and is accepting of Indian students. Eagerly waiting for the results!

BTW, with fewer international students in Canada as compared to US/UK, how are the career stats for them? Kinda concerned about this...

@Panther my application was completed December 29. Might still be under review, but I’m not sure. I got an email asking for me to resubmit a document a couple weeks ago  so I know that they have at least started to look at it. I’m a domestic student btw.

i also applied to Johnson Shoyama through U of R and my application is currently “pending final review” as of Tuesday last week.

1 hour ago, vsbp said:

Just received an email today from Ryerson saying I have been accepted into the MPPA program. Seems quite early, but I am grateful. Waiting to hear back from SFU and Waterloo. 

Congratulations! I also applied to Ryerson and am hoping for the good news (fingers crossed). When did you apply? Did you get an email before this offer of admission that your application had been sent to the program for review? So far I have only received the acknowledgement of my application when I applied and that email saying my application is now with the program for review. 

Thanks very much!

Greetings and salutations. I'm a bit late to the party here, but figured I might as well drop in.

I applied for the MPA at Queens, and got some good news last week. I was also accepted for an MPP at Sciences PO awhile back, but the funding situation doesn't seem to be as lucrative as I'd been hoping, so we'll have to wait and see. 

Here's hoping everyone hears back soon! The season of acceptances is finally upon us. 

14 hours ago, celineemilylg said:

Congratulations! I also applied to Ryerson and am hoping for the good news (fingers crossed). When did you apply? Did you get an email before this offer of admission that your application had been sent to the program for review? So far I have only received the acknowledgement of my application when I applied and that email saying my application is now with the program for review. 

Thanks very much!

Thanks! I applied back in December. And yes I had an email saying it was being sent for review. I received the admission email yesterday. I am a domestic applicant from Toronto. 

Good luck!

Hi Everyone!

Just to let everyone applying to the MPP program at SFU. I contacted Dawn at the School of Public Policy regarding receiving a response. She states " we will commence the acceptance process in March and it will run until June (or before once the cohort is full)". I hope this helps. I am really hoping that we hear something in March. Honestly, I don't think I can wait too long.

For those of you who got into Ontario schools, what are your stats/grades? I am sorry if that sounds rude...

I only applied to SFU as a domestic student as I want to live in Vancouver at this time.  I don't haven't found any information about applicants in previous years that have applied to SFU.

My stats as I applied to SFU are:

• GPA: 3.3 ( My grades a bit all over the place as I had to full time and go to school full time.  I am not using this as an excuse but as an explanation of what happened to my grades)
  • Undergraduate degrees: Bachelor of Social Work from UVic and Bachelor of Science in Psychiatric Nursing at Douglas College.
  • Work/Volunteer Experience: I have over 10 years working at Fraser Health Authority as a Dialysis Technician and Nurse. Volunteered with MS Society of Canada, Patient Voices Network, Greater Vancouver Food Bank and Access Pro Bono.  I was affiliated with College of Social Work and Psychiatric Nursing in BC.

I suppose I will "Keep calm and wait on"