MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2018 (Canada)

On 4/20/2018 at 7:25 PM, DashDotDashDot said:

From Reddit to this forum to Twitter, I can’t find anything one way or the other regarding any admissions for the UVIC MPA Online (happy for everyone who got on-campus!) Is anyone else in the same place right now, or, does anyone have anything new to report?

Hi, I called UVIC last week and asked about the MPA online admissions, they told me that they were meeting about it and will be letting people know in a week or two.  So now it has been a week.  I applied and have not heard yet.  Good Luck!

2 hours ago, Tiakc said:

I have a 4.18/4.33 GPA BA in Early Childhood Studies from Ryerson. Graduated last July 2017. I currently work for City of Toronto Children Services. Did a research internship at Ryerson. Still in shock that I did not get in.

Sorry you did not get in. I guess it was very competitive.

Wow I’m also shocked you weren’t admitted with those stats..that is an incredible GPA.I didn’t realize the program was that competitive! Welp, I guess my chances of admission are down the drain.

Edited by Seahawks3

34 minutes ago, Seahawks3 said:

Wow I’m also shocked you weren’t admitted with those stats..that is an incredible GPA.I didn’t realize the program was that competitive! Welp, I guess my chances of admission are down the drain.

What was your GPA/educationa/ work background?

16 hours ago, Tiakc said:

I have a 4.18/4.33 GPA BA in Early Childhood Studies from Ryerson. Graduated last July 2017. I currently work for City of Toronto Children Services. Did a research internship at Ryerson. Still in shock that I did not get in.

Sorry you did not get in. I guess it was very competitive.

I applied for PT as well, haven't heard back yet but this makes me very nervous.

2 hours ago, TOMPPA said:

I applied for PT as well, haven't heard back yet but this makes me very nervous.

I applied for PT too and haven't heard anything... maybe this is a good sign. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

Edited by lledu

Anyone know if UVic has sent any of their final offers?

I am aware that they have sent most of their acceptance letters out. I am just curious if anyone has received a rejection letter of some sort. It would be nice to get some closure as my application is still pending... considering it is almost May it would be nice to just have some clarity...

2 hours ago, DaBear said:

I am aware that they have sent most of their acceptance letters out. I am just curious if anyone has received a rejection letter of some sort. It would be nice to get some closure as my application is still pending... considering it is almost May it would be nice to just have some clarity...

Mine is still pending too. I heard they sent out the offers already. Tough having waited 4 long months to find out I’ve probably been rejected :(

2 hours ago, DaBear said:

I called again today. It's my new weekly tradition! (god dammit-hah)

I was told they're still waiting to hear from the second round? That doesn't make sense to me because I know that the second round went out at the beginning of April... Candidates were only given 10 days to respond, so I'm not sure what the hold up is. Maybe extensions have been granted for 1 or 2 applicants who are waiting on other offers (although, I think most f/t programs have wrapped up now)? Or maybe the grad assistant has been instructed to placate inquiries until UVic gets around to sending final rejections? Or maybe they have no intention of informing rejected applicants because they derive pleasure from our anxious inquiries. Or maybe I've gone crazy. Maybe the program doesn't exist at all. Maybe this whole experience is just a figment of my imagination. I have no idea. It's bewildering. All I know is that despite sitting on applications for 4 months, UVic states that they still haven't filled their small 25 person cohort, they've apparently made no progress in the last month, and they're no longer offering decision timelines... ಠ_ಠ 

9 hours ago, lledu said:

I applied for PT too and haven't heard anything... maybe this is a good sign. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

I called the admissions office today and she said while it's not the program she deals with, she believes they are still considering some files and will be sending out acceptances. So fingers crossed! Let me know if you hear from them.

4 hours ago, CaitJonni said:

Hey! Not sure if this helps or hurts but I received an offer of admission to UVic MPA online stream. They said they are just confirming all my documents but intend to officially offer me admission 

That is awesome!  Congrats!  I will be checking obsessively today:)  

41 minutes ago, CaitJonni said:

Yea the only thing I don’t get is where they review documents ... does that just mean verifying my grades? 

I think so... I think if you get accepted you need to sent official documents, but I am sure they will ask if that is the case.  When did you get accepted?  By e-mail?

But they didn’t give any instructions on whether I should get my undergrad school to send them official documents... very confusing lol. But they emailed me saying offer of admission soooo I guess they just request the docs themselves 

7 hours ago, CaitJonni said:

Hey! Not sure if this helps or hurts but I received an offer of admission to UVic MPA online stream. They said they are just confirming all my documents but intend to officially offer me admission 

Thats awesome! Congrats! Mind sharing your academic and work experience? I want to consider it for next year! 

16 minutes ago, CaitJonni said:

But they didn’t give any instructions on whether I should get my undergrad school to send them official documents... very confusing lol. But they emailed me saying offer of admission soooo I guess they just request the docs themselves 

Congrats! I’d like to hear about your experience and academic background if you don’t mind sharing :)

Yea no problem - B+ overall A- in the last two years but I did my third year in Ghana and have been working in the programs and policy division of a major international charity for 2 years. Since UVic has a focus on international policy I think it was my international experience rather than my grades that helped them make the decision

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:27 PM, megtree said:

I called again today. It's my new weekly tradition! (god dammit-hah)

I was told they're still waiting to hear from the second round? That doesn't make sense to me because I know that the second round went out at the beginning of April... Candidates were only given 10 days to respond, so I'm not sure what the hold up is. Maybe extensions have been granted for 1 or 2 applicants who are waiting on other offers (although, I think most f/t programs have wrapped up now)? Or maybe the grad assistant has been instructed to placate inquiries until UVic gets around to sending final rejections? Or maybe they have no intention of informing rejected applicants because they derive pleasure from our anxious inquiries. Or maybe I've gone crazy. Maybe the program doesn't exist at all. Maybe this whole experience is just a figment of my imagination. I have no idea. It's bewildering. All I know is that despite sitting on applications for 4 months, UVic states that they still haven't filled their small 25 person cohort, they've apparently made no progress in the last month, and they're no longer offering decision timelines... ಠ_ಠ 

So I just talked to UVic and they made a clerical error with my application. Apparently they sent me an acceptance to the On-Campus program on April 23 however I just got it now!

I have until Friday to confirm (which I will accept!). So I am kind of scrambling right now but I am also super excited!!!!!!!

On 4/26/2018 at 2:10 PM, lledu said:

I got my rejection email today. I hope things look better for you, all the best!

Hey for the people for the U Vic online stream - I have sent in my acceptance but haven't heard anything from them to confirm they received it. Is anyone else experiencing a slow response time? I'm in Rwanda/Zambia until the 11th and I can't call them....

20 hours ago, DaBear said:

So I just talked to UVic and they made a clerical error with my application. Apparently they sent me an acceptance to the On-Campus program on April 23 however I just got it now!

I have until Friday to confirm (which I will accept!). So I am kind of scrambling right now but I am also super excited!!!!!!!

Congratulations! That's so exciting! I'm happy for you! ?