MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2018 (Canada)

16 hours ago, Oliveira28 said:

I just received my acceptance from UVic! I have 10 days to accept it.

Congrats!!!! Are you doing On Campus or Online? I will be attending the On Campus program.

1 hour ago, DaBear said:

Congrats!!!! Are you doing On Campus or Online? I will be attending the On Campus program.

Thank you and congratulations to you too! Im also doing  the on campus program. I still have to decide if I'm accepting, but I probably will!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of information did they send you after you accepted their offer?

On 5/1/2018 at 7:31 PM, TOMPPA said:

I got my rejection email today. I hope things look better for you, all the best!

So did I. I'm pretty shocked i was rejected. I had a B+ average at Ryerson and 6 years of full time work experience provincially and municipally...

I did however get into York's MPPAL program, so I'll be attending that program instead.

Edited by lledu

1 hour ago, Oliveira28 said:

Thank you and congratulations to you too! Im also doing  the on campus program. I still have to decide if I'm accepting, but I probably will!

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of information did they send you after you accepted their offer?

Honestly, not much! When I emailed to accept my offer I told them that I would be mailing my deposit soon as well.

They replied saying: "Thank you, we have added you to our list of program attendees for the fall and we will let you know when we have received your deposit".

That is all the info that I have for now... 

2 hours ago, DaBear said:

Honestly, not much! When I emailed to accept my offer I told them that I would be mailing my deposit soon as well.

They replied saying: "Thank you, we have added you to our list of program attendees for the fall and we will let you know when we have received your deposit".

That is all the info that I have for now... 

Thank you, DaBear!

I will decide in the next few days and I will let you know!

I am at a loss for words. Just got accepted into SFU, my first choice.

For anybody that didn't get in this year - don't lose hope. This wasn't my first time applying and I had to do as much as I can to improve my application. If you need help or ideas, feel free to message me.

Excited and looking forward to what the future holds!

19 hours ago, feelgood said:

I am at a loss for words. Just got accepted into SFU, my first choice.

For anybody that didn't get in this year - don't lose hope. This wasn't my first time applying and I had to do as much as I can to improve my application. If you need help or ideas, feel free to message me.

Excited and looking forward to what the future holds!

Thank you. I was disapointed i only applied to ryerson. What changes did you make? Upgrading- references changes- cover letter etc?

On 5/1/2018 at 7:31 PM, TOMPPA said:

I got my rejection email today. I hope things look better for you, all the best!

Its okay alot of us did. Try again next time! Dont give up! 

Wait listed (3 weeks ago from the time of my posting): Ryerson (interested in it)

Rejected from: Regina

Declined: Dalhousie 

Haven't heard from UVic (I am absent minded at this point since we're in May).

I am an analyst at the moment. I am scheming for a back up plans for this September to boost my analyst skills if I don't make it in Ryerson. I will reapply to MPA/MPP this Fall if I am still interested. 

On 5/5/2018 at 7:16 AM, Vraj said:

Thank you. I was disapointed i only applied to ryerson. What changes did you make? Upgrading- references changes- cover letter etc?

Literally everything. Whatever can be improved, should be improved. If you can't get better references, explain the situation to your current references so perhaps its a stronger letter. Rewrite your cover letter if you think it can be improved. If the program is quantitative intensive, go back to school (if that's an option) and take a quantitative course or two and perform really well to show your potential. If the program accepts GRE scores for international students, write the GRE to show how you would compare to other applicants. Get in touch with the program and see if you can attend a class or two - make yourself known to the instructors. If the program has public events, attend them.

Of course, none of this is a guarantee and it helps if you have a specific aim, since it's a little bit difficult to apply this to multiple applications.

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back with my responses.

Uvic rejected. I didn't take that campus seriously as I'm from central Canada anyway.

Regina rejected.  I didn't take that campus seriously as I'm from central Canada anyway.

Dalhousie: I changed my mind about their offer because I felt that their program was too long (2 yrs) and management focused.

Queens: rejected, I would have considered them because they offer a one yr program and top tier school with public policy. I suggest anyone offered take Queens.

Ryerson, still on wait-list. 

• 2 weeks later...

To all of the future UVic MPA students. Does anyone have any interesting news to report? Things have been pretty quite since my acceptance for the On-Campus program and I just want to make sure I have not missed anything.

Cheers,

1 hour ago, DaBear said:

To all of the future UVic MPA students. Does anyone have any interesting news to report? Things have been pretty quite since my acceptance for the On-Campus program and I just want to make sure I have not missed anything.

Cheers,

Hey DaBear,

I haven't heard much either. They asked me to send my official transcripts and my status has now changed to accepted. I have also received some information about funding, but that's all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Not sure if anyone will still respond to this thread but I thought I'd try anyways. I'm wondering if anyone was admitted to the program with a lower average? I went through a medical program which wasn't the easiest for me while working 2 jobs, so I didn't have the best average. I have worked for the federal government for 4 years and I'm hoping that might help with my application.