MPA/MPP Applications, Fall 2018 (Canada)

14 hours ago, newmem282 said:

So far i heard back from Ryerson and Carleton. I'm from Toronto and I would need to pass Intro to Economics (full year course, in addition to the program courses) by the end of first year at Carleton so leaning towards Ryerson but not sure. Waiting on Waterloo and UofT.

Some of these programs require a response in a week or two. So would it be possible to accept and later withdraw if we get more offers?

Good luck everyone

I got into Carleton last year (accepted UofT but it was really close).  I didn't have ECON either but Phil (guy in charge of admission etc) said doing summer courses at a Toronto university (as long as it's cleared by them beforehand) was totally fine and a more ideal option than doing econ during your MPPA (I don't know what your situation is though, and it's definitely possible to do econ in the fall).  He also told me that I could do online courses (easier for scheduling) and sent me links to Athabasca University.  Anways, I would contact them and let them tell you in detail what options you have.

Regarding econ more generally (and UofT specifically) if you've never taken econ before it WILL BE (probably) really tough, I speak from personal experience.  If you are able to, regardless of what school you end up choosing, I would highly recommend taking some sort of econ course(s) over the summer (physical or online) just so that you have some basic knowledge going into the program you choose.

Anyway, good luck and feel free to message me for any questions you might have about the process or UofT specifically!

Just an FYI for UofT applicants. I just received my admission offer. Although, keep in mind, mine is a deferred one so timelines for yours may be different. But it probably means that UofT will be sending out admission offers soon.

1 hour ago, Pound Cake said:

Just an FYI for UofT applicants. I just received my admission offer. Although, keep in mind, mine is a deferred one so timelines for yours may be different. But it probably means that UofT will be sending out admission offers soon.

Thanks for the heads up, Pound Cake! 

Current applicants - have you had any changes to your online status? Mine still reflects "Under Review". Past threads seem to indicate that acceptances typically come out closer to the 15th. 

Edited by mppmgaapplicant2018

On 01/03/2018 at 12:31 PM, phmasters said:

I got into Carleton last year (accepted UofT but it was really close).  I didn't have ECON either but Phil (guy in charge of admission etc) said doing summer courses at a Toronto university (as long as it's cleared by them beforehand) was totally fine and a more ideal option than doing econ during your MPPA (I don't know what your situation is though, and it's definitely possible to do econ in the fall).  He also told me that I could do online courses (easier for scheduling) and sent me links to Athabasca University.  Anways, I would contact them and let them tell you in detail what options you have.

Regarding econ more generally (and UofT specifically) if you've never taken econ before it WILL BE (probably) really tough, I speak from personal experience.  If you are able to, regardless of what school you end up choosing, I would highly recommend taking some sort of econ course(s) over the summer (physical or online) just so that you have some basic knowledge going into the program you choose.

Anyway, good luck and feel free to message me for any questions you might have about the process or UofT specifically!

Was the econ in the UofT MPP program very quant-heavy? Or did the courses just utilize a lot of econ concepts (that you would learn in undergrad) in general?

I received an acceptance from Carleton last week :) 
Due date for response is March 21. 
Still waiting to hear from Queens, SFU, and UVIC. From reading other posts it looks like Queens has sent out a first round of offers. Has anyone received news from SFU or UVIC? 

Edited by JBunni

19 hours ago, JBunni said:

I received an acceptance from Carleton last week :) 
Due date for response is March 21. 
Still waiting to hear from Queens, SFU, and UVIC. From reading other posts it looks like Queens has sent out a first round of offers. Has anyone received news from SFU or UVIC? 

I haven’t heard anything from SFU. Hopefully before March, 21st!! 

Congrats on Carlton! 

Just wanted to ask, if it is not a secret, did Carleton include offers of funding with their admission letters and how do these rate to other universities? I am considering applying for next year but I am very conscious of funding - UofT is completely out of my league because it is very expensive and there is very little funding from the university.

Congrats to all who got accepted.

Glad I found this thread! I applied to three Canadian MPA programs: UVic, University of Manitoba and Concordia. I was accepted into Manitoba's MPA program yesterday (according to website- I'm still waiting to receive the official offer). I haven't heard a peep from UVic or Concordia.

As a side note, I see that UVic often sends final MPA notifications mid-to-late April; I have an international program offer with an early April deadline, so I'm anxious about UVic's timeline. Fingers crossed we hear from them sooner rather than later. I have a feeling Concordia will be sending notifications within the next two weeks (based on their decision history).

On 3/3/2018 at 6:11 AM, mppmgaapplicant2018 said:

Thanks for the heads up, Pound Cake! 

Current applicants - have you had any changes to your online status? Mine still reflects "Under Review". Past threads seem to indicate that acceptances typically come out closer to the 15th. 

Mine still shows under review too. Maybe another week...

12 hours ago, VeryCheesey said:

Mine still shows under review too. Maybe another week...

Yeah, last year I got my admission offer on March 14. So maybe that's the timeframe UofT is aiming for again this year.

1 hour ago, Hopefulmpp2018 said:

Congrats to the people to got into SFU! I haven’t heard yet.. ?.. waiting impatiently for a response.. 

same here! I'm so anxious waiting for a response.  What did you apply for? 

Hi everyone.

Just received an offer from the SFU MPP program. Still waiting on the UVIC MPA on Campus to respond. I called them today, and they said that they will be sending out offers by the end of this month. I have 21 days to accept SFU's offer so hopefully they respond before then so I have a choice. I will likely be accepting the SFU offer regardless. My cumulative GPA was 3.58 for those who are wondering. Good luck to everyone.

Edited by DJUZI

@Nunuc One of the reasons I applied to just Carleton was because I heard they were generous with funding. I can confirm this from my own experience. They sent me an acceptance letter along with the funding package (scholarships + offer of a TA position).

I didn't apply to U of T partly because of the cost of the program. I learned from these forums though that there's something called UTAPS which makes the program more affordable than one would initially think.

3 minutes ago, Grad1111 said:

On 07/03/2018 at 8:31 PM, DJUZI said:

Hi everyone.

Just received an offer from the SFU MPP program. Still waiting on the UVIC MPA on Campus to respond. I called them today, and they said that they will be sending out offers by the end of this month. I have 21 days to accept SFU's offer so hopefully they respond before then so I have a choice. I will likely be accepting the SFU offer regardless. My cumulative GPA was 3.58 for those who are wondering. Good luck to everyone.

I also got an offer from SFU and am waiting to hear from uvic. If you don't mind me asking, did you get a funding offer from SFU?

On 3/4/2018 at 6:35 PM, Pound Cake said:

Was the econ in the UofT MPP program very quant-heavy? Or did the courses just utilize a lot of econ concepts (that you would learn in undergrad) in general?

If you've taken econ in undergrad (like if you took a major or minor in econ) then it should be fine for you.  It's mostly the speed at which the course moves which makes it really challenging for people who don't have econ experience.