Post-Bacc Programs (NIH PREP, informal, etc)

glialstar

Hello! I couldn't find a thread for postbacc options, so here we go!

Im graduating early, so decided a postbacc would be a great way to spend the year before applying to PhD programs. 

Ive applied to the NIH PREP program at Yale, Northwestern, Harvard, Mayo Clinic, Brown, and possibly one more!

I always planned that if my graduate applications didn't work out I would try for a postbacc. 

I didn't apply to NIH PREP programs because I felt I didn't fit the "diversity" that these programs asked for, but I did apply for the NIH IRTA program a few weeks ago. 

I've had interest from that end, but no faculty yet that I have been interested in. Past years indicate I'm late to the game but I am staying hopeful that someone will have a late opening left. 

I applied to others as well but I'm keeping those anonymous for now because those programs are much more specific. 

I have a decent GPA and ~2 years research experience. Hopefully that helps me get into a postbac somewhere. 

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Katiebird said:

Have you heard anything yet? 

Not sure if this was directed at me or in general, but I'll go ahead and answer anyway. No, I haven't. I was told decisions should be made around mid-April though. 

@Katiebird, @PsychedSloth

Hey! I haven't heard anything yet. Most places mentioned they are reviewing at the end of March/early April! I did get an offer to do an informal postbacc (paid research/take a few grad classes) from a professor that I had contacted about working with through the program!

@PsychedSloth Sure, in the neuro department I selected J.C., J. G., A.F., and W.K. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to further compare! The lab offer I received though was at a different university. Its nerve wracking to think decisions should be rolling out in a couple weeks!

I hate to double post, but I have some information about processing timelines for some NIH-prep programs! @leecy77

Northwestern: application review begins 3/19, with invites for interviews being made shortly after, and final decisions being made by mid-April

IUPUI: applications are under review and decisions will start rolling out in early April 

Ohio State: applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, with decisions being made in mid-April. There is a waitlist through May

@PsychedSloth Hello, thank you for the information! I received the email from Northwestern about review as well, fingers crossed and good luck! 

As far as I know, the other NIH PREP programs I applied to are as follows- Yale (end of March/early April), Mayo Clinic (rolling), Harvard (early April), Brown (April?)

@leecy77 My main LOR wasn't keen on it (not sure if he has something against Ivy leagues) so that influenced my decision. I applied to a few grad schools and one of them was definitely a reach, but he had no problem writing a letter for them. I've been in contact with the program director for Northwestern and IUPUI, so I'm feeling hopeful...especially for Northwestern. 

@PsychedSloth I understand, in the end its just up to you and where you feel comfortable! Postbaccs are amazing in that they can be gateways into the PhD programs, so Im sure you'll thrive whoever you end up. Definitely agree as well, the NW director is very hands on and was incredibly helpful in giving feedback on my essays to edit. Fingers crossed this week!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Skype interview for Mayo Clinic PREP today, and have Skype interview for the Yale PREP later this week. Nothing back from the Harvard or Brown PREP's. Good luck to everyone!

Edited by leecy77

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up with an informal offer at one school and was waiting on a decision from one other PREP interview, however decided to go ahead and accept the Mayo Clinic PREP offer as they seemed really great and had faculty in my area of interest!