Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants

lilmaz

And so it begins, GC applicants for 2019! Welcome first time applicants, applicants who didn't get interviews, multiple cycle applicants, applicants who didn't matched, and basically everyone interested in genetic counseling. In such a competitive field I think there is no such thing as starting too early! 

3 hours ago, lilmaz said:

And so it begins, GC applicants for 2019! Welcome first time applicants, applicants who didn't get interviews, multiple cycle applicants, applicants who didn't matched, and basically everyone interested in genetic counseling. In such a competitive field I think there is no such thing as starting too early! 

Here is a link to a discord group that others have found helpful in communicating with people applying to the programs. https://discord.gg/QDHZy7S 

6 minutes ago, WWAGCD said:

Ain't that the truth! I'm saddened by the rejections I've had, but I'm also really excited to get a head start on next year!

Have any of you guys done the Crisis Text Line?

This past week has been rough because I really wasn't expecting full out rejections. I still have 1 school that I haven't heard from, but I'm still trying to plan for next year just in case. I do feel more confident this round though because I think we learned a bunch about the process and what we need to do to greatly improve our changes this next year. I have heard of crisis text line but haven't done it. I think I am going to though because I don't enjoy my current volunteering gig and don't want to do it for another year.

6 hours ago, KAC said:

I want to find a volunteer position that I enjoy and it has been harder than expected.. applied for Planned Parenthood and my state crisis hotline multiple times with no responses. 

That's really strange! Have you tried contacting them in person or over the phone?

If anyone needs a gap year or two and wants to live in the DC area you should check out being a NIH postbac. The pay isn't great but there are a ton of opportunities across the main campus, including sitting in on a Hopkins genetic counseling seminar class. If you live within driving distance of the main campus you can take the class without working at the NIH, it is open to everyone. 

https://www.training.nih.gov/programs/postbac_irta

https://faes.org/sites/default/files/FAES_Catalog_2017-18.pdf (GENE 510)

On 2/14/2018 at 1:57 AM, KAC said:

I want to find a volunteer position that I enjoy and it has been harder than expected.. applied for Planned Parenthood and my state crisis hotline multiple times with no responses. 

Are you just looking for volunteering or specifically with a counseling aspect? I have LOVED volunteering with the Special Olympics for advocacy experience. I am in the same boat needing more formal counseling training but was accepted with the Crisis Text Line and am just waiting on my cohort to begin training! Look and see if there is a crisis phone bank in your area, there is a First Link in my city and its really more of a part time job, they do training and you actually get paid which would be nice if you had a flexible schedule. If you just want to volunteer more check out SO, they always are looking for volunteers. 

Hi everyone! I'll be a first-time applicant in the upcoming cycle. I'm interested in seeing how the match program works out with everyone currently applying. It sounds like a pretty great idea though! I'm hoping to apply to 5-10 schools. I get super excited and nervous just thinking about it haha. 

I've been hearing thoughts about Vanderbilt opening up a program soon and I hope that that is indeed the case!

47 minutes ago, karyotype said:

Hi everyone! I'll be a first-time applicant in the upcoming cycle. I'm interested in seeing how the match program works out with everyone currently applying. It sounds like a pretty great idea though! I'm hoping to apply to 5-10 schools. I get super excited and nervous just thinking about it haha. 

I've been hearing thoughts about Vanderbilt opening up a program soon and I hope that that is indeed the case!

That’s awesome! I applied this cycle but it looks like I will definitely be applying again ? 

I’m glad we have this community to talk with each other and bounce ideas around!

Hi everyone!! I have been a long time lurker on the 2018 page and after much deliberation and thought... I ended up choosing not to apply this cycle. I felt very "unqualified" as I learned about the field and how competitive it is to get in and I felt as though I had no chance of getting interviewed or accepted. 

I am currently a senior at Penn State. My major is Biobehavioral Health (a multidisciplinary field where we look at every aspect pertaining to health and all of the factors that can influence health... we are very well-rounded in psychology and the sciences) as well as am finishing up a minor in Biology. My GPA is 3.88 (trying to keep that up to balance out my average and slightly above average GRE scores of 151V/157Q/4W). I feel like I will end up taking the GRE again. I have shadowed for four days in Prenatal, Pediatrics, and Autism and Developmental Medicine through Geisinger. I have been a teaching assistant for a year for a physiology course and this semester I am a TA for a 400 level genetics class in my major. I was also a residential assistant for a year. I have been volunteering at my local crisis hotline for a year now. At my hotline, during the day we mainly navigate an online database containing referrals to assist clients calling in needing help with rent, electrical bills, moving expenses, chore assistance, food, and other basic needs. What makes this experience unique is that I have the opportunity to work with my clients both on the phone and in person. During the night however, my hotline does receive the standard crisis calls so I do have experience with that type of counseling.

I currently have no plans for after graduation in May. I have applied for several GCA positions as well as GC internships. Any recommendations on what to do during gap years? I feel like I will end up taking two years off (or more if I don't get accepted obviously lol). I also applied to these types of things last summer, but to no avail. I still feel very unqualified as I pursue this career aspiration to become a Genetic Counselor. 

I cannot wait to follow this thread and learn more about you all <3 

I have complete confidence that we will all get to our dream job in the future, as long as we keep working hard and remember why we are pursuing this career <3

On 2/15/2018 at 10:39 AM, lilmaz said:

Are you just looking for volunteering or specifically with a counseling aspect? I have LOVED volunteering with the Special Olympics for advocacy experience. I am in the same boat needing more formal counseling training but was accepted with the Crisis Text Line and am just waiting on my cohort to begin training! Look and see if there is a crisis phone bank in your area, there is a First Link in my city and its really more of a part time job, they do training and you actually get paid which would be nice if you had a flexible schedule. If you just want to volunteer more check out SO, they always are looking for volunteers. 

I volunteer with the Down Syndrome Association but my work hours don't really work so well right now. I don't want to be too picky but it seems like schools really prefer certain types of volunteer and advocacy experience. 

I wanted to pass along a genetic counseling volunteer opportunity at Stanford's Center for Inherited Cardiovascular Disease for anyone who is interested. I've been a volunteer for the past 9 months and have applied to programs this cycle. I am feeling pretty hopeful of being admitted somewhere, and the Stanford position has been an amazing experience. Here is the information:

Volunteers can expect to:

·      Learn about the day-to-day life of a genetic counselor

·      Gain a deep understanding of taking a family history

·      Interact with other members of our patients’ healthcare team, including physicians, nurses and patient care coordinators

Typical duties may include:

·      Data entry in the genetic counselors’ pedigree database, Progeny

·      Maintaining and organizing data in our electronic filing system

·      Light office duties to support the genetic counseling team

·      volunteers with prior research experience or who excel at routine responsibilities may be asked to participate in more advanced research projects

Ideal applicants are:

·      dedicated to gaining exposure to genetic counseling

·      detail oriented

·      able to work well with a team

·      available 8 or more hours weekly during working hours, but we can be very flexible to work around other commitments. 

Multiple positions are open for summer 2018.  Ideal candidates would be available throughout the 2018-2019 school year.

Please send your CV and a cover letter introducing yourself and why you’re interested in volunteering with us. 

Stanford Center for Inherited Cardiovascular Disease

Julia Platt, MS LCGC

jplatt@stanfordhealthcare.org

Edited by geneAGTC

On 2/15/2018 at 3:47 PM, WWAGCD said:

I'm about to submit my application! Just waiting for confirmation from someone I want to use as a recommender that she's okay with it! Any idea how long it takes to be approved?

Took me less than a week! 

I know it's early, but since I'm a first time applicant I'm not totally sure how some things work! I live fairly far from Philadelphia and Houston, but I am planning on applying to Arcadia/Thomas Jefferson and UTHealth/Baylor. If I happen to get accepted to either of the two pairs, do you think any of the schools would work with me to have interviews on the same day or the following day?

4 hours ago, karyotype said:

I know it's early, but since I'm a first time applicant I'm not totally sure how some things work! I live fairly far from Philadelphia and Houston, but I am planning on applying to Arcadia/Thomas Jefferson and UTHealth/Baylor. If I happen to get accepted to either of the two pairs, do you think any of the schools would work with me to have interviews on the same day or the following day?

Just from watching the round that is getting interviews now it might be difficult to coordinate because there is such variation as to when each school sends out interview invites. Some come in Jan are others are around now and into March. In a perfect world it would be easy and work out but I definitely wouldn't bank on it.