Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants

lilmaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew of any advocacy programs or disability programs near the greater philadelphia/PA area. I was told by a genetic counselor to get more advocacy experience and with working with children.  Also how are people gain more one on one genetic counselor experience because I applied to a lot of GA positions and have not heard back from anyone yet. I have shadowed genetic counselors at 4 different hospital and am volunteering at crisis text line. I also have past ER volunteer experience and tutor experience and I currently work at Temple University Hospital. And this still doesn't seem to be enough. Any advice on how to gain more counseling/advocacy experience. 

Happy Match Day! Congrats to all who matched. If you didn’t match, and you are passionate about being a genetic counselor, apply again! So many amazing genetic counselors didn’t match right away, including some on this panel.

If you are looking for tips and tricks about the first year of grad school,  I recorded a podcast episode with fellow first-year students. 

http://dnapodcast.com/episodes/2019/4/26/101-genetic-counseling-match-day

We Talk... ?
?Classes To Take Before Enrolling
? Managing Finances (Loans, Aid, Jobs)
? International Students
? Finding Housing & Roommates
? First Year Classes
?‍?Rotations ?‍?
? Starting Thesis
? Student Mentor Program

If you have questions, comments, concerns or are looking for a connections email in at info@DNApodcast.com. 

On 4/23/2019 at 3:14 PM, Mudra Patel said:

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone knew of any advocacy programs or disability programs near the greater philadelphia/PA area. I was told by a genetic counselor to get more advocacy experience and with working with children.  Also how are people gain more one on one genetic counselor experience because I applied to a lot of GA positions and have not heard back from anyone yet. I have shadowed genetic counselors at 4 different hospital and am volunteering at crisis text line. I also have past ER volunteer experience and tutor experience and I currently work at Temple University Hospital. And this still doesn't seem to be enough. Any advice on how to gain more counseling/advocacy experience. 

I volunteered as a Court Appointed Special Advocate with the foster care system in Indiana. I also volunteered with CTL for the more “traditional” experience, but in my GC interview, CASA was what I mostly talked about and was asked about. I learned so much that’s going to help with GC. I highly recommend it!

Hello everyone. I am graduating spring 2020 with a BS in molecular biology and a minor in psychology. I'll be applying for the fall 2020 cycle. I'm getting a bit worried that I won't get in on my first go around. Is there anyone who feels comfortable sharing about not getting in, why you didn't, and how you strengthened your application?

I have about a 3.5 overall GPA, I volunteer with Camp Kesem (a national nonprofit dedicated to helping children through and beyond a parents cancer), and I work for a genetic counseling company where I get shadowing experience. I also plan to start volunteering with the crisis text line this summer.

Edited by Oreo2

Hi Everyone! 

I'm currently a genetic counseling assistant at Igenomix, and I just wanted to post a new job opening for those who may be interested in gaining more experience in the genetic counseling field. This position is in industry, with a focus on preconception genetics. I've been working here since July 2018, and the people & experiences have been absolutely incredible. I've attached the job description to this thread if anyone is interested! The position will be based in Miami, Florida, and resumes/CVs can be sent to alyssa.snider@igenomix.com.

Igenomix GCA Job Description.pdf