Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants

lilmaz

Hi everyone! 

So glad I found this forum! I am a recent grad with a BS in Biology and a minor in Chemistry. I have been job searching but I am having a difficult time finding a job that will help my resume for the application process. What kind of jobs do you guys have that you think are improving your resume or at least giving you experience that is applicable to genetic counseling.  

Also, I am kind of late to the game and will be taking my GRE at the end of summer. What is everyone doing to prepare for the application process this fall? 

15 hours ago, bulldog15 said:

Hi everyone! 

So glad I found this forum! I am a recent grad with a BS in Biology and a minor in Chemistry. I have been job searching but I am having a difficult time finding a job that will help my resume for the application process. What kind of jobs do you guys have that you think are improving your resume or at least giving you experience that is applicable to genetic counseling.  

Also, I am kind of late to the game and will be taking my GRE at the end of summer. What is everyone doing to prepare for the application process this fall? 

Welcome! From what I've seen and heard, positions in a molecular/genetics lab, whether it be clinical or research, or something patient facing, working with a research study or in a provider's office, would be good experience to boost your application. Definitely something in healthcare or genetics would be good. I've worked in clinical labs for 8 years and the last two and a half were in a molecular diagnostics lab. Since January, I've also been volunteering in a maternal-fetal medicine clinic with a genetic counselor getting to shadow and working on a stillbirth assessment program. I'm in the same boat as far as job hunting right now, but mine is as a result of a move. It's definitely an extra layer of challenge trying to find something that will help our apps, especially when, best case scenario, we'll only be working for about a year before programs start next fall.

Good luck in your search and with your GRE!

On 6/6/2018 at 6:21 AM, Joey0817 said:

Does anyone know if Sarah Lawrence takes resumes in the application? I do not see it as a required document online...I really hope they do, because my experiences definitely strengthen my application. I don't think I have enough space (2 pages?) to cover my extensive volunteer and work experience in just the personal statement.

Hey! I applied to Sarah Lawrence last cycle and I believe they did ask for my resume. There was also plenty of space on the application to discuss your volunteer/shadow/work experiences in further detail. Most of the schools I applied to asked for a resume and had additional writing space. Hope this helps! 

Hey everyone! 

The genetic counselor I shadow just let me know about a Genetic Counselor Education Day that CHOP is hosting in Philly. It's $25, and goes from 8:30-3. Just thought I should share this with anyone in the area, I will be attending :) 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/genetic-counselor-education-day-tickets-45041778171

Does anyone if it is true that Stanislaus will not be accepting applicants this round? A couple people and GCs from word of mouth have been telling me that, but I have tried calling and emailing the school and have not heard a response directly from them. 

On 6/18/2018 at 9:25 PM, GeneDawg said:

@HilmKayla During my interview at CSU, we were told that they were planning to rename the program from CSU to UCSF program for administration reasons. That might explain it. 

I talked to some genetic counselors and they have mentioned that UCSF is accepting their first class for 2020. I am very confused what is happening for 2019 though if I apply this round.. :(. Does anyone know? 

On 6/8/2018 at 7:16 AM, jbv510 said:

Welcome! From what I've seen and heard, positions in a molecular/genetics lab, whether it be clinical or research, or something patient facing, working with a research study or in a provider's office, would be good experience to boost your application. Definitely something in healthcare or genetics would be good. I've worked in clinical labs for 8 years and the last two and a half were in a molecular diagnostics lab. Since January, I've also been volunteering in a maternal-fetal medicine clinic with a genetic counselor getting to shadow and working on a stillbirth assessment program. I'm in the same boat as far as job hunting right now, but mine is as a result of a move. It's definitely an extra layer of challenge trying to find something that will help our apps, especially when, best case scenario, we'll only be working for about a year before programs start next fall.

Good luck in your search and with your GRE!

Wow you have a lot of experience! I'm only applying in Canada this April because I really don't want to do my GREs. Does everyone have this much experience? I can only apply to 4 universities in Canada and I think I'll apply to all 4 since they only take about 4-5 people each. I volunteer at a distress centre, with the Canadian Mental Health Society, and I also have worked in labs on campus. Do you know of any universities in the states that don't require the GRE? 

On 6/25/2018 at 2:07 PM, gene13 said:

@HilmKayla does that mean they are accepting for this fall (2018) and will graduate in 2020 or won't accept anyone until fall 2020?

So I have figured it out and Stanislaus is no longer accepting applicants this year or ever again. They accepted their last class in 2018 and it will become the UCSF class beginning in 2020. If you are applying this year applicants are due around Jan so it would be for the 2019 class

Hi all, I applied for fall of 2018 and didn't get matched, and today I was chatting with someone about a joint genetic counseling/bioethics program, which gave me an idea. Do you think that getting a graduate certificate in bioethics would help me in reapplying? I would be only half done with the certificate when applications are due, so that's something to consider. There are a few online programs with August 1st application dates so I'm not too late. Just wondering what you guys think.

On 7/5/2018 at 5:10 PM, Ekva said:

Hi all, I applied for fall of 2018 and didn't get matched, and today I was chatting with someone about a joint genetic counseling/bioethics program, which gave me an idea. Do you think that getting a graduate certificate in bioethics would help me in reapplying? I would be only half done with the certificate when applications are due, so that's something to consider. There are a few online programs with August 1st application dates so I'm not too late. Just wondering what you guys think.

I think a graduate certificate in bioethics would be a great addition to your app and make you stand out as an applicant! Something you'll want to bear in mind, though, is the cost vs reward aspect of it; graduate certificates can be very expensive and while they will be a useful supplement, a GC-specific activity will go miles for your application. If possible, I would really try to find some kind of GC internship / job / volunteer opportunity to work on at the same time.

Hey everyone! I’m applying this fall and am looking forward to going through the process with you guys! A little about myself: I’m a rising senior undergraduate majoring in genetics with minors in Spanish and biotechnology (GPA: 3.7). I’m involved in a scholarship program at my university through which I do professional development and volunteering stuff each year. I’m also a mentor to incoming freshman students who are part of my scholarship program and started doing this sophomore year. I’m the president of a service/leadership club, TA for organic chemistry, and have been working in a neuroendocrinology/genetics research lab for a year and a half now. I just started working for crisis text line in March and will have GC shadowing experience in cancer, pediatrics, and prenatal when it’s time to apply. 

I’m wondering what you guys are doing for recommendations? A lot of schools only require 2, but some (Denver) want 4. I know some people have said a rec from a GC is a big plus, but I feel like I don’t know the ones I shadowed well enough to ask. I’d probably ask the professor I TA for and my PI in my lab, but I’m curious to see who you guys are asking (and what previous applicants think). 

hi y'all! after reading many of these boards i'm so excited (and nervous!) to be applying this cycle with you all

like @jlwasson, i'm also a rising senior undergraduate. i'm majoring in cognitive science (interdisciplinary, basically psychology, but i've also finished up the other science pre-reqs for GC outside of my major). i've shadowed cancer genetic counselors before, have held multiple leadership positions in a service organization on my campus, and currently work on the suicide hotline. i'm a little nervous because it feels like i don't do very much, but i know that i'm deeply invested in the few things that i do do so hopefully that's good! 

looking forwards to getting to know the rest of you, and to support each other through applications season! :) 

Hi everyone!

I'm very excited and nervous about applying this cycle! I am one year out of undergrad and I have spent this past year as a medical scribe in the emergency department of a level 1 trauma hospital. My GPA is below a 3.0 so I'm a pretty nervous about this aspect of my application. I have taken the GRE and I was in the 50th percentiles, but I plan on retaking it again so I can increase my score a bit. I have around 100 hours shadowing two different genetic counselors and I have about 145 hours of volunteering with the Crisis Text Line. I volunteered with special needs children and adults and for two domestic violence shelters in college. I am thinking about getting my letters of recommendations from one of the doctors I work with, the genetic counselor I have shadowed an extensive amount, and one of my professors from college. 

I'm wondering if y'all have any recommendations for anything else that could help compensate for my low GPA? 

4 hours ago, snr17 said:

Hi everyone!

I'm very excited and nervous about applying this cycle! I am one year out of undergrad and I have spent this past year as a medical scribe in the emergency department of a level 1 trauma hospital. My GPA is below a 3.0 so I'm a pretty nervous about this aspect of my application. I have taken the GRE and I was in the 50th percentiles, but I plan on retaking it again so I can increase my score a bit. I have around 100 hours shadowing two different genetic counselors and I have about 145 hours of volunteering with the Crisis Text Line. I volunteered with special needs children and adults and for two domestic violence shelters in college. I am thinking about getting my letters of recommendations from one of the doctors I work with, the genetic counselor I have shadowed an extensive amount, and one of my professors from college. 

I'm wondering if y'all have any recommendations for anything else that could help compensate for my low GPA? 

It sounds like you have some amazing advocacy and shadowing experiences. I think applying to schools that will appreciate that is important. There are some schools that will automatically discount you if your gpa is not a certain level, but there are also some schools that will take the whole application into account and interview you before deciding if you would be a good fit. If you did poorly on any prerequisite course (genetics etc) and have a chance to retake them it wouldn’t hurt to redo them in the fall before applying to let them know you are preparing for grad school. Also your personal statement is very important in telling these programs about you so they don’t just see your gpa. If you have any questions don’t be afraid to message me.

Thank you @Lea123! I'm hoping for the best and hopefully everything else from my applications sticks out to the programs. 

Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Hi all, so I'm applying for Fall 2019 and I am really nervous. I'm desperate to get into any program (this is my first time applying) as I just want to get grad school over and done with. I'll be graduating this fall in biochemistry with a psychology minor. My current cGpa is 3.21, but I can hopefully get it up to 3.3 after this semester. My first year was awful, but my last 2 years my cGpa is 3.7 (I have As in psychology and B+ in all upper year biochems, we don't have A+ here). I'm Canadian and go to McGill (considered like the Harvard of Canada), hence the program has been challenging. I just did my GRE and did decent 155 V/153 Q/ 4.0 AWA. I would love to stay in Canada, but it's extremely hard to get in here, so I'll be applying to American schools too. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry for three years now in marketing/advertising and communications (past two years in oncology), have volunteered  a few months in a molecular pathology lab and will start volunteering at a cancer wellness center. It's pretty much impossible to shadow a counselor here, so that sucks. I'll be volunteering for a crisis hotline in the fall. So that's me, I hope I can get in somewhere. This career feels like my calling. PS: I'm also currently taking embryology online at UC :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all! I'm a first time poster to this discussion and a first time user on grad cafe. I applied to GC programs in the last application cycle and wasn't matched, but I'm gearing up to apply again. I've worked in chemistry for the last 8 years and I'd like to re-take my genetics pre-req, since it's from 2007. Can anyone recommend an online genetics course? A master's level course would be great. 

I found an online biochemistry course at Michigan State University through Utah's GC site, but I'd also like to find a genetics course. Thanks! ?

On 7/23/2018 at 2:18 PM, ashleyspencer said:

Hi all, so I'm applying for Fall 2019 and I am really nervous. I'm desperate to get into any program (this is my first time applying) as I just want to get grad school over and done with. I'll be graduating this fall in biochemistry with a psychology minor. My current cGpa is 3.21, but I can hopefully get it up to 3.3 after this semester. My first year was awful, but my last 2 years my cGpa is 3.7 (I have As in psychology and B+ in all upper year biochems, we don't have A+ here). I'm Canadian and go to McGill (considered like the Harvard of Canada), hence the program has been challenging. I just did my GRE and did decent 155 V/153 Q/ 4.0 AWA. I would love to stay in Canada, but it's extremely hard to get in here, so I'll be applying to American schools too. I've worked in the pharmaceutical industry for three years now in marketing/advertising and communications (past two years in oncology), have volunteered  a few months in a molecular pathology lab and will start volunteering at a cancer wellness center. It's pretty much impossible to shadow a counselor here, so that sucks. I'll be volunteering for a crisis hotline in the fall. So that's me, I hope I can get in somewhere. This career feels like my calling. PS: I'm also currently taking embryology online at UC :) 

Hi Ashley! It sounds like you've worked hard to make good grades in your last two years. Nice. I hope that the programs see that and it strengthens your application. I also have some worries about the effect of my GPA on my application, so I'm re-taking some prerequisite courses to demonstrate my academic ability. I wasn't interested in grad school when I was in undergrad and I was working 3 part time jobs most semesters, so my final GPA is not that great. 

How are you liking the UC embryology course? It was recommended to me by a GC mentor of mine and it has great reviews for the quality of the content. What do you think?

2 hours ago, lmelancon said:

Hi all! I'm a first time poster to this discussion and a first time user on grad cafe. I applied to GC programs in the last application cycle and wasn't matched, but I'm gearing up to apply again. I've worked in chemistry for the last 8 years and I'd like to re-take my genetics pre-req, since it's from 2007. Can anyone recommend an online genetics course? A master's level course would be great. 

I found an online biochemistry course at Michigan State University through Utah's GC site, but I'd also like to find a genetics course. Thanks! ?

University of Phoenix offers one that I believe someone on gradcafe took: https://www.phoenix.edu/courses/bio410.html
It is an undergraduate course however.

If you are looking for a different biochem class, myself and a few others on here as well took Biochem through UCSD Extension that we enjoyed! It was cheap compared to other courses I found, engaging, and I actually enjoyed it. https://extension.ucsd.edu/courses-and-programs/introduction-to-biochemistry