Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants

lilmaz

On 8/13/2018 at 3:59 PM, lmelancon said:

Hi Ashley! It sounds like you've worked hard to make good grades in your last two years. Nice. I hope that the programs see that and it strengthens your application. I also have some worries about the effect of my GPA on my application, so I'm re-taking some prerequisite courses to demonstrate my academic ability. I wasn't interested in grad school when I was in undergrad and I was working 3 part time jobs most semesters, so my final GPA is not that great. 

How are you liking the UC embryology course? It was recommended to me by a GC mentor of mine and it has great reviews for the quality of the content. What do you think?

The embryology course is really interesting and I love that you can take it at your own pace. Would highly recommend if you can afford it :)

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.facebook.com/rugcmp/ Just wanted to share the first NJ genetic counseling programs facebook page! This is now their 2nd year. The facebook page will begin to get updated this month with a lot of details and insight on this program! It's a great way to learn about the program if you're interested so be sure to like the page! 

19 hours ago, gene13 said:

I hope everyone's Fall is getting off to a nice start! As people plan their apps, I just wanted to include this link:

Accredited Programs:  http://gceducation.org/Pages/Accredited-Programs.aspx

Where are people planning to apply

Thanks for this :) Fall I think will be stressful for all of us but we can do this! I'm thinking of applying to McGill, UofT and UBC in Canada. In the States, probably Greensboro, Irvine, Denver, Northwestern and maybe Pittsburgh. I might apply to Cardiff in the U.K. too, it's actually less expensive I think for me to study there than the States.

There is a GC program in Cardiff? I had no idea! Thanks for passing on the note. I've always wanted to study in the UK!!

Does anyone know if there would be any difference in a MS vs a Canadian or English MSc if you want to come back to work in the US?

3 hours ago, gene13 said:

There is a GC program in Cardiff? I had no idea! Thanks for passing on the note. I've always wanted to study in the UK!!

Does anyone know if there would be any difference in a MS vs a Canadian or English MSc if you want to come back to work in the US?

https://www.abgc.net/becoming-certified/recognized-accrediting-bodies/

This page discusses internationally trained genetic counselors. Looks like you'd just need to double check that any international program you apply to are recognized as an Accrediting Body through ABGC if you want to practice in the US. 

Along the lines of the Rutgers post:

The UAB program has a new Instagram and twitter to keep up with all that's going on within the program and learn more about it, Birmingham, and rotation sites both @ UABGCTP

https://twitter.com/uabgctp

https://instagram.com/uabgctp?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=1ayutt33jilin

On 9/8/2018 at 1:56 PM, gene13 said:

I hope everyone's Fall is getting off to a nice start! As people plan their apps, I just wanted to include this link:

I'm applying to Arcadia, Thomas Jefferson, UT Houston, Baylor, Cincinnati, USF, VCU, UNCG, and Emory!

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 1:45 PM, gene13 said:

I'm not sure about in the U.K., but Canadian and American degrees are equivalent and you can work in either Canada or the US if you attend an accredited school.

Rutgers, Sarah Lawrence, Arcadia, Thomas Jefferson, Mount Sinai, and Johns Hopkins ?

On 9/8/2018 at 12:56 PM, gene13 said:

Madison, Denver, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Emory, and Alabama! I'm curious about Vanderbilt but applying to a first time program worries me hahah

Baylor, UT, USC, UAB, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Indiana Univ, & Ohio State ? Am also very interested in Vanderbilt as I've always loved their school but don't think I would want to be the first class to attend 

Edited by nmfernandez

On 9/8/2018 at 10:56 AM, gene13 said:

I am applying to Stanford, BU, Maryland, Johns Hopkins, UCI, Brandeis, Mount Sinai, and Utah. 

I'm planning on applying to Rutgers, Thomas Jefferson, Arcadia and Cincinnati! Maybe Ohio State as well if the funds end up working out for me.

Hi guys! I'm a little worried about my GRE scores. I scored 152 V (56th), 158 Q (68th), and 4.5 AWA (82nd). My verbal score is lower than I had hoped for, but I'm happy with my other scores.

I double majored in biology and forensic science and had a cumulative GPA of 3.96/4.0. Do you think this will make up for my lower verbal score, or would you recommend I retake the GRE?

18 hours ago, chamuy said:

Hi guys! I'm a little worried about my GRE scores. I scored 152 V (56th), 158 Q (68th), and 4.5 AWA (82nd). My verbal score is lower than I had hoped for, but I'm happy with my other scores.

I double majored in biology and forensic science and had a cumulative GPA of 3.96/4.0. Do you think this will make up for my lower verbal score, or would you recommend I retake the GRE?

It sounds like your scores are fine, from what I heard as long you're above 50 you should be ok for most scores. Your GPA is amazing so I wouldn't worry and redo the GRE. Good luck! 

5 hours ago, ashleyspencer said:

It sounds like your scores are fine, from what I heard as long you're above 50 you should be ok for most scores. Your GPA is amazing so I wouldn't worry and redo the GRE. Good luck! 

What would you say about having a really great score in two sections, but a really weak score in another? I got a 162V (91st) and 151Q (42nd). I haven't gotten my writing score back yet, but I feel really good about it (hoping for >4.5). I feel solid in all other aspects of my application- I would retake it if it weren't for the cost. 

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, raverrak said:

What would you say about having a really great score in two sections, but a really weak score in another? I got a 162V (91st) and 151Q (42nd). I haven't gotten my writing score back yet, but I feel really good about it (hoping for >4.5). I feel solid in all other aspects of my application- I would retake it if it weren't for the cost. 

I'm not sure. I got 69th Verbal, 50th Quant and 59th AWA. I'm pretty average so not sure what looks better if we were to compare. If other parts of your application are strong, I don't think you should redo it, especially if you're a first time applicant. Not sure if someone else can weight in on this, I'm no expert :) 

How many schools would you think is a good amount to apply to?  I know it can get expensive so I only want to apply to about four but also I feel like that may not be enough.  I'm just worried about not getting in this time if I don't widen my application pool of who I want to apply to.

On 10/3/2018 at 2:56 PM, jebbahay7 said:

How many schools would you think is a good amount to apply to?  I know it can get expensive so I only want to apply to about four but also I feel like that may not be enough.  I'm just worried about not getting in this time if I don't widen my application pool of who I want to apply to.

The University of Toronto has said people who apply to 4 or more programs are more successful!

• 2 weeks later...

Rutgers is hosting an open house on November 3rd from 10:30-1:00 to learn about their program!  Lunch is provided!  I am going and just wanted to share the information along!  You can find more information and how to sign up on their website!

Hello! I just want to thank you all for all the information and tips you share! I have only heard about genetic counseling a few weeks ago and I am 100% sure that it is the path I want to take. Unfortunately I am a senior graduating with a BA in Psychology with no research experience, volunteer work, or shadowing experience. I've done absolutely nothing to fluff up my resume. Luckily this semester I am interning at a DV Service center, so if I like it I will continue with it after I graduate. There are no GC near me so I am not so sure how I will be shadowing one. I might have to travel to do so. Because I saw that people were commenting on crisis text counseling, I applied and I'm in! I can't wait to get started. I am taking a gap year or 2 to really gain the experience grad schools want. I'm kind of bummed I have to wait that long, but if anyone has any other extra tips I'd greatly appreciate it!!