Genetic Counseling Fall 2019 Applicants

lilmaz

On 12/29/2018 at 8:33 PM, gene13 said:

Happy (almost) new year!

Just curious, how do people respond when they ask about your future plans and you say you want to be a genetic counselor?

I've had mostly people who don't know what that is, one person who told me that's a perfect job, and one person who told me I was crazy for not doing medical social work.

I feel like half of the time people ask what genetic counseling is and the other half know about it and respond well. I work in a hospital so a vast majority of my coworkers know what it is and think it is a cool field. I find people that don't have medical backgrounds mostly don't know what genetic counseling is and are often conflicted about the position, especially prenatal genetic counseling. 

How's everyone's applications going?

Hey all! I’m a first time user on this site and thank you all for posting such helpful information! I just have a question for those who have applied already or who may know the answer. I know that invitations for interviews are sent out late January to Mid March, but I was just curious of how much of a notice that they give you for the interview. I also was wondering if they give you a specific day or if you have a little bit of leeway in picking the day. Any info is much appreciated! Good luck to all :)

Kamille 

Hey Kamille, 

For the schools I interviewed (all northeast), I had plenty of warning, around a month if I am remembering correctly. I was given dates the interviews were being held and could choose what worked best for me. Many schools have a group of interviews in the morning and a different group in the afternoon, then lunch all together. Probably depends on which schools you are applying to. Let me know if you have other questions! 

For those who are waiting to hear back with interview invitations, I recorded a podcast episode with a 3 fellow first-year GC students (all who I met through Grad Cafe!). We all matched with programs and have a semester under our belts, so we wanted to share some tips. In this episode, we talk about our personal experiences during the interviews, preparation strategies, ranking schools, the match system and much more! We created this episode for you guys to have a better sense of the application process. This is a follow-up episode to us talking about how to gather experience and complete a competitive application (episode #87), but I imagine most people in this group have already done that. Both are linked below though. 

http://dnapodcast.com/episodes/2018/12/30/97 < Preparing and Completing Applications 

http://dnapodcast.com/episodes/2018/12/30/97 < Interviews, Rank, Match

We all wish we had a resource like this when we were in your shoes. Hopefully y'all find this helpful and please feel free to reach out with questions or comments (info@DNApodcast.com)! We love hearing from other future genetic counselors :D

On 1/5/2019 at 10:57 PM, Kamille clever said:

Thanks so much for your help! Also I have been listening to your podcasts for a couple months now, I find them so interesting and love them! Hope grad school life is treating you well! 

Kamille

Glad you like them Kamille! If you have questions feel free to email in at info@DNApodcast.com. Always happy to help if I can :)

Hey all! Wondering if anyone is familiar with how Stanford conducts their phone interviews. If you don't get a phone interview, is it expected that you will not be receiving an invite to interview in person? Also, has anyone received an email about getting a phone interview at this point?

Thank you :) 

Hi, everyone! :) I’m a junior (honors student) in college right now and I’m having quite the predicament. I was accepted early last year into medical school in my state. If I continue in the program, I will take the MCAT I’m the summer and start med school Fall 2020 after I graduate. However, I was recently introduced to the field of GC and recently shadowed and I LOVE the career. I think I would much prefer it to becoming a doctor. I’m so torn. I’m worried that if I drop out of my medical program and take the GRE instead of the MCAT that I ultimately won’t get accepted into a GC program and will have lost both opportunities for the year. Right now my GPA is about a 3.7 (got a C in physics :( ) and my volunteer/advocacy experiences are being a foster mom and advocating for service dogs for those with autism, donating mattresses to shelters in need through fellowship of Christian paramedics (I’m not a paramedic, my relative is the founder,) and I’m signing up for the crisis text line. I have yet to do research, but am hoping to find work soon. I will also have to do research for my senior thesis next year. I’m a fairly good test taker and writer, so I’m not anticipating the GRE or personal statements to be a huge issue. Does anyone have any thoughts? I’m so scared to make a mistake I’ll regret. 

Officially think I'm done all my applications. I applied to 7 schools, not sure if that's enough. How many have most you applied to especially on your first year of applications. If this year doesn't work out, I'll do more next. 

1 hour ago, ashleyspencer said:

Officially think I'm done all my applications. I applied to 7 schools, not sure if that's enough. How many have most you applied to especially on your first year of applications. If this year doesn't work out, I'll do more next. 

Congrats!! I applied to 5 schools last cycle. I'm almost done with this round of applications thankfully, it's quite the process.

3 hours ago, ashleyspencer said:

Being done with applications is a great feeling but it also feels like now I have nothing to do but obsessively check my email! I am a first time applicant. I applied to 6 schools and received my first interview invitation yesterday.

Edited by RKclimbs

1 hour ago, RKclimbs said:

Being done with applications is a great feeling but it also feels like now I have nothing to do but obsessively check my email! I am a first time applicant. I applied to 6 schools and received my first interview invitation yesterday.

Congrats! I'm in the same boat with obsessive email checking. Where to?

12 hours ago, EAM1234 said:

Hi All! Has anyone who has applied to Brandeis heard anything from them? Just curious. First round applicant- I’ve only applied to Brandeis; I know it’s the right place for me. Thanks in advance!! ?

@EAM1234 Hi! I have applied to Brandeis but have not heard anything yet either. I’ve heard that they’ve sent out notifications towards the end of Jan/early Feb in the past

I only applied to 4, which I am a little nervous about. Did anyone apply to the newer programs? I applied to Vanderbilt, however, they still have not been accredited yet. 

27 minutes ago, maDNA said:

@EAM1234 Hi! I have applied to Brandeis but have not heard anything yet either. I’ve heard that they’ve sent out notifications towards the end of Jan/early Feb in the past

@maDNA Yeah, that’s what I’ve gathered as well. We’ll just have to play the waiting game!

Edited by EAM1234

On 1/11/2019 at 12:58 PM, RKclimbs said:

CONGRATS, so happy for you. I'm just wanting to get some interviews. My anxiety is high haha

On 1/12/2019 at 11:27 AM, snr17 said:

I only applied to 4, which I am a little nervous about. Did anyone apply to the newer programs? I applied to Vanderbilt, however, they still have not been accredited yet. 

I have not applied to any new programs. I applied to Greensboro, Sarah Lawrence, McGill, UBC, Northwestern, Denver and Irvine. 

On 1/12/2019 at 10:27 AM, snr17 said:

I also applied to 4, and did apply to University of Nebraska Medical's new program; they're at the same point in the process as Vanderbilt. My understanding is they can't participate in the Match if they aren't accredited; so it's really only a waste of time/money and not a huge risk to apply if they don't get accredited on time.