Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

I am at the top of UTK's and Ole Miss's waitlist for the M.A. program. Waiting to hear back! Both of these schools are the top of my list. Just wondering if the person(s) ahead of me is considering either. If I got a call from either UTK or Ole Miss, I would accept!

9 minutes ago, Elisajoy90 said:

I am at the top of UTK's and Ole Miss's waitlist for the M.A. program. Waiting to hear back! Both of these schools are the top of my list. Just wondering if the person(s) ahead of me is considering either. If I got a call from either UTK or Ole Miss, I would accept!

When you say you're on UTK's waitlist for the MA, are you talking about a TA position or just being accepted to the MA in general? I ask because I was accepted to the MA but waitlisted for a TA. I don't think I'm getting off the TA waitlist, in which case I will be declining my MA spot. 

5 minutes ago, katie64 said:

When you say you're on UTK's waitlist for the MA, are you talking about a TA position or just being accepted to the MA in general? I ask because I was accepted to the MA but waitlisted for a TA. I don't think I'm getting off the TA waitlist, in which case I will be declining my MA spot. 

Accepted into MA, but on the waitlist for TA. Sorry, should've made that clear. 

5 minutes ago, Elisajoy90 said:

Accepted into MA, but on the waitlist for TA. Sorry, should've made that clear. 

Bummer, was hoping I could give you good news! What position are you on the list, if you don't mind me asking? (Or more specifically, what was your original position?) I'm debating emailing to see where I am now, but probably won't bother if there hasn't been much movement on the waitlist. PM me if you'd like. :)

8 minutes ago, katie64 said:

Bummer, was hoping I could give you good news! What position are you on the list, if you don't mind me asking? (Or more specifically, what was your original position?) I'm debating emailing to see where I am now, but probably won't bother if there hasn't been much movement on the waitlist. PM me if you'd like. :)

Currently, it seems I am second on the waitlist. If the person above me denies the offer, I am next in line. I honestly am not sure of my original placement. I know I got an email a few weeks ago asking about my interest in the program...not sure what that means.

Leanne Hinkle was very, very helpful when I called her concerning my placement. Can't hurt to ask. 

6 minutes ago, katie64 said:

Thanks to both @Wooshkuh and @Elisajoy90! It's reallyyy late in the game and I actually visited a school I have a spot at this past week and am flying out to visit another this Wednesday, so time-wise, I think even if by some miracle I got off UTK's waitlist, I wouldn't have the time to visit the school. :(

UTK told me that I would have a different deadline besides April 15 (at least a week or two) if I got accepted off of the wait list at this point. I don't think I could sign up for 5+ years without visiting. 

5 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

UTK told me that I would have a different deadline besides April 15 (at least a week or two) if I got accepted off of the wait list at this point. I don't think I could sign up for 5+ years without visiting. 

Luckily I'd only be 2/3 years, but I'm still a super indecisive person and couldn't commit to living anywhere without visiting. My one school I've been accepted to very graciously extended my deadline to the 20th after I visited and explained I already had travel plans to see another school, so this looks like it will be a stressful week! 

50 minutes ago, Elisajoy90 said:

I know I got an email a few weeks ago asking about my interest in the program...not sure what that means.

Last time I spoke to Leanne in person she told me there's been a surprising lack of communication from those MAs accepted w/ funding compared to previous years. 

Holy expletive. After four months of anxiety, I finally got my answer: Accepted at UConn off the waitlist (English Ph.D. with Rhet/Comp research specialization, full funding for six years). I'm completely overwhelmed. I got an email about fifteen minutes ago, followed by a phone call from the DGS (what a genuinely nice conversation that was). Now all that's left is to wait for my wife to get home so we can have the discussion we've been putting off because it hasn't been real until just now.

Thanks to everybody who's shared their experiences over the last four years that I've been a lurker/member. This group has made the entire process bearable.

Just FYI, if anybody's still waiting on UConn, the DGS said that they had an "crazy (unusually crazy) admissions cycle" with a lot of people not responding to their initial offers until the last second. He said my email was the first of three that would be going out. Best of luck to anybody still waiting.

It's nice to see some happy outcomes for people waiting it out! I just received an email from the DGS at UTK informing me that the person ahead of me has until April 19 to decide. It sounded like it's their policy to give a person two weeks after receiving an offer (ie. the person was accepted on 4/5, so she has until 4/19 to decide). Is this common practice? 

I don't see why anyone would wait to make a decision after April 15 if they have other offers though... 

10 minutes ago, bpilgrim89 said:

I got in off the waitlist to my program!!!

I contacted CUNY first thing this morning to decline my offer, so I hope someone gets some good news today if not tomorrow!

Congratulations!! I've been checking my inbox for a mail from CUNY all day - what's your field/research interests in case? So glad the waitlist worked out for you :) 

5 minutes ago, starrystarry said:

Congratulations!! I've been checking my inbox for a mail from CUNY all day - what's your field/research interests in case? So glad the waitlist worked out for you :) 

I’m an 18th centuryist, so I have no idea if they will try to pick another one or select someone from a different field.

• 2 weeks later...

Applied to the MA in English Lit at the University of Arizona, hadn't heard anything at all, then two days ago I received a fully-funded acceptance into their PhD program! Though they were my top choice when I was applying, Rochester's offer-- for me-- is pretty much unbeatable. So if anyone is still hoping for a spot at U of A, I will be declining! 

2 hours ago, androm31 said:

If I haven't heard from my waitlist by now does that mean I'm rejected? :P

No, it doesn't necessarily mean you've been rejected, but I think it's safe to say that a majority of decisions have already been made. I've heard of people getting in off the waitlist in May, June, July, and even early August, but those are rare, isolated instances.

Have you been in contact with your program at some point this month? If not, I strongly recommend sending a polite, concise email asking for a status update. The waitlist may well be active and you might be at the top of it--who knows. It's equally plausible that the process is over and they just didn't make a formal notification. Either way, it can't hurt to get in touch and express your continued interest. Keep in mind that if you've already talked to them in the last few weeks, it's probably best to just wait it out.

Best of luck--the whole process is very taxing.

11 hours ago, Conradical said:

Applied to the MA in English Lit at the University of Arizona, hadn't heard anything at all, then two days ago I received a fully-funded acceptance into their PhD program! Though they were my top choice when I was applying, Rochester's offer-- for me-- is pretty much unbeatable. So if anyone is still hoping for a spot at U of A, I will be declining! 

Congratulations on the acceptance! And on Rochester, (I swear I'm only a little salty they didn't love me back.)

• 9 months later...
11 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Waitlisted for Oregon state's MA.

I guess my application isn't total trash after all ?

Congrats! FWIW, the offer I accepted was at a school that originally waitlisted me! So, I think there's a good chance this works in your favor. :)

4 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Congrats! FWIW, the offer I accepted was at a school that originally waitlisted me! So, I think there's a good chance this works in your favor. :)

Thanks!  I have my fingers crossed for more good news in the future, for sure.  

1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

Waitlisted for Oregon state's MA.

I guess my application isn't total trash after all ?

i was waitlisted at Oregon State -- i think i was like third, and i was ultimately admitted. i later asked the DGS about it and i was told that it was really more about securing funding :) so this is good news! just hold tight