Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

9 hours ago, sugilite said:

I'm wondering if schools across the board are moving towards smaller cohorts in response to the job market? I showed a current grad student (in a social science field) my acceptance letter to get feedback on funding and his first response was  "The warning about the job market was not included in my acceptance letters" 

Interesting. Maybe? I know Stanford tends to have smaller cohorts (5-8 ish) because their department is rather tiny. So perhaps the additional reduction is a result of the job market now...

13 hours ago, sugilite said:

I'm wondering if schools across the board are moving towards smaller cohorts in response to the job market? I showed a current grad student (in a social science field) my acceptance letter to get feedback on funding and his first response was  "The warning about the job market was not included in my acceptance letters" 

It would make sense, especially if they want to keep their placement percentages attractive.

I really wonder what the future of our field looks like ?

4 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

It would make sense, especially if they want to keep their placement percentages attractive.

I really wonder what the future of our field looks like ?

I expect a huuuuuuuge comeback. or not

waitlisted for English & Women’s Studies at Michigan! definitely feeling that weird mix of excitement and disappointment - it was a top choice for me. really pleased to have made it on the waitlist but not optimistic at all that it will move enough. time to settle in and wait...

On 2/6/2019 at 8:49 AM, gloriagilbert said:

Longtime lurker here. Got a waitlist notification for Johns Hopkins yesterday and would love any insight, esp. considering it's such a small department. Congrats to everyone accepted so far!

Made an account just to let you know I was admitted to JH and to one other program that offered similar funding. I'm not sure which I like more right now, but I think I'll make a decision after I visit both. So if I turn down JH, it'll be in early March. 

Waitlisted at Columbia. Pretty bummed, but not devastated. I’ve got my fingers crossed that I move up to an acceptance! 

Letter says that it’s a “short” waitlist but I might not hear back until April 15th. I have other offers I need to either accept or decline by then, so I’m really, really hoping I know sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know about past experiences with Columbia’s waitlist??

EDIT: Waitlisted at WashU as well. Wasn't expecting to hear from them at all, but...cool, I guess! Not a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Waitlisted at Loyola!!!! Admitted to MA but waitlisted to PhD!!!! This is the dream school!  Ahhhhhhh

congratulations!!! as someone living practically right by loyola (and dreading moving!), can vouch for it being an AMAZING place to be ;) rooting for the waitlist to move for you!

On 2/15/2019 at 11:07 AM, kendalldinniene said:

Waitlisted at BU :)

I feel like this cycle is turning out just plain weird for me, but...I'm not mad at it.

Cycles are never quite what you expect. It's always a pleasure to see the highs of a cycle and the friendships formed.

On 2/15/2019 at 12:58 PM, trytostay said:

Waitlisted at Columbia. Pretty bummed, but not devastated. I’ve got my fingers crossed that I move up to an acceptance! 

Letter says that it’s a “short” waitlist but I might not hear back until April 15th. I have other offers I need to either accept or decline by then, so I’m really, really hoping I know sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know about past experiences with Columbia’s waitlist??

EDIT: Waitlisted at WashU as well. Wasn't expecting to hear from them at all, but...cool, I guess! Not a bad thing.

Congrats on the waitlists for Columbia and WUSTL! 

On 2/15/2019 at 3:36 PM, beardedlady said:

Also waitlisted at WashU. I was feeling ghosted by academia, so it was good to hear something finally!

Congrats! Here's to hoping you hear back from more programs soon! (This year has been incredibly competitive because they've gained a few new resources as well as having gained an additional month of stipend-support. The previous stipend was guaranteed for 10 months; from now on, it's guaranteed for 11 + whatever additional funding you can secure with all the funding opportunities they have. There are a few courses that you can take during the summer that also come with a $2,000 stipend because they're associated with the Mellon Summer Dissertation Seminar.

On 2/15/2019 at 5:21 PM, kendalldinniene said:

Waitlisted at Loyola!!!! Admitted to MA but waitlisted to PhD!!!! This is the dream school!  Ahhhhhhh

Here's to hoping they move you from their MA to Ph.D. list!

On 2/13/2019 at 3:22 PM, amphilanthus said:

waitlisted for English & Women’s Studies at Michigan! definitely feeling that weird mix of excitement and disappointment - it was a top choice for me. really pleased to have made it on the waitlist but not optimistic at all that it will move enough. time to settle in and wait...

I think there's some hope to be had!

4 hours ago, amphilanthus said:

congratulations!!! as someone living practically right by loyola (and dreading moving!), can vouch for it being an AMAZING place to be ;) rooting for the waitlist to move for you!

I visited Chicago in December, including checking out Rogers Park, and I fell, head over heels, in love. What a wonderful place to live. I’m sorry you’re going to have to move but I’m celebrating your next step!

19 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I visited Chicago in December, including checking out Rogers Park, and I fell, head over heels, in love. What a wonderful place to live. I’m sorry you’re going to have to move but I’m celebrating your next step!

it’s the best! (and the fact that you loved it in december is... extremely impressive, haha.) i’m obviously biased but it’s an exciting piece of news for sure. fingers crossed!

2 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

it’s the best! (and the fact that you loved it in december is... extremely impressive, haha.) i’m obviously biased but it’s an exciting piece of news for sure. fingers crossed!

Haha I grew up in Idaho so I can do snow no problem. But also that city is THE SHIT (sorry, I swear a lot in real life, tried to keep in classy on here for a long time but...I am who I am lol). Also the rent prices, coming from sac, it’s so hopeful. Tell me all your favorite things to do and see in Chi Town (do locals actually call it that?).

3 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Haha I grew up in Idaho so I can do snow no problem. But also that city is THE SHIT (sorry, I swear a lot in real life, tried to keep in classy on here for a long time but...I am who I am lol). Also the rent prices, coming from sac, it’s so hopeful. Tell me all your favorite things to do and see in Chi Town (do locals actually call it that?).

ahh haha okay! I’m from the south and fell in love with Chicago during the summer... a very different transition. I’m sure the rent is a huge difference! especially in rogers park, too, the relative affordability here is the only reason it will hopefully work for me to go to school and my partner to stay in our place here. it’s just the best neighborhood; if not for work I’d never go anywhere else in the city tbh. (okay, except the zoo. always the zoo.) the beach up here is amazing in the summer, too many restaurant/bar recommendations for a post, so close to other fun neighborhoods like andersonville... if this is the direction this process takes you, I’ll have you send you allll the recommendations :) (gotta admit I haven’t been here long enough to offer a definitive ruling on chi-town - although I can’t say I’ve ever heard anyone actually say it...)

4 hours ago, amphilanthus said:

i've only been in march or december and absolutely loved it, but i'm in florida so maybe it was the novelty of real! cold! 

congrats, everyone

Edited by jadeisokay

Waitlisted at Emory—this has been a dream school of mine since 2013, so not in the best place about it. 

DGS said I was on a small waitlist but not a ton of hope of movement since Emory has increased their stipend in a significant way this year. 

Just got an email from Columbia that they are “sufficiently hopeful” they’ll be able to offer me admissions. Whatever that means, lol. They also asked me to “bear with them” so it seems like they’re trying to get me admitted. What a weird experience with Columbia! Still keeping my fingers crossed. 

Edited by trytostay

23 hours ago, kendalldinniene said:

Waitlisted at BU :)

I feel like this cycle is turning out just plain weird for me, but...I'm not mad at it.

I'm the other BU waitlister! I applied straight out of undergrad and I was definitely expecting an outright rejection from them! Here's to hoping we get off the waitlist. Congrats! :)

2 minutes ago, cassidyaxx said:

I'm the other BU waitlister! I applied straight out of undergrad and I was definitely expecting an outright rejection from them! Here's to hoping we get off the waitlist. Congrats! :)

Hi there! I’m keeping my fingers crossed for us both!!!