Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

Thank you @trytostay ? I'm super excited to still have something of a shot--seeing as I have been thoroughly rejected by my dream schools, haha--but if it doesn't work out, I'm grateful to have been accepted at University of Oregon. Congrats on being accepted to NYU and UVA! That's awesome! When did you hear from them? I also applied to both but haven't heard anything yet...

Just now, adornianjazz said:

Thank you @trytostay ? I'm super excited to still have something of a shot--seeing as I have been thoroughly rejected by my dream schools, haha--but if it doesn't work out, I'm grateful to have been accepted at University of Oregon. Congrats on being accepted to NYU and UVA! That's awesome! When did you hear from them? I also applied to both but haven't heard anything yet...

UO is a great program! Plus you can't beat the PNW.

I heard from NYU I think the 11th? And UVA on the 14th. It does seem like all of the acceptance offers from those schools have gone out unfortunately, but I don't think waitlist notifications have gone out yet!

35 minutes ago, trytostay said:

UO is a great program! Plus you can't beat the PNW.

I heard from NYU I think the 11th? And UVA on the 14th. It does seem like all of the acceptance offers from those schools have gone out unfortunately, but I don't think waitlist notifications have gone out yet!

Ah, thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm still very excited for Oregon--and the PNW; been living in LA for almost 12 years and honestly I'm looking forward to the change of pace, i.e. lower cost of living, higher quality of life, trees, and air that *isn't* poison. Still, keeping my fingers crossed for JH, largely because my parents live not too far from there and they are getting on in years (both over 70)....Any idea which program you're leaning towards? What's your specialization?

36 minutes ago, adornianjazz said:

Ah, thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm still very excited for Oregon--and the PNW; been living in LA for almost 12 years and honestly I'm looking forward to the change of pace, i.e. lower cost of living, higher quality of life, trees, and air that *isn't* poison. Still, keeping my fingers crossed for JH, largely because my parents live not too far from there and they are getting on in years (both over 70)....Any idea which program you're leaning towards? What's your specialization?

No clue which one I'm leaning towards actually!! Right now I kind of just want to chill until visits start and try not to think about it too much since this is the least stressed I've felt in about seven months. I'm still anxious to hear from Columbia and Rutgers, so we'll see what happens in the upcoming weeks!

Edited by trytostay

On 2/16/2019 at 9:28 AM, arbie said:

Waitlisted at Emory—this has been a dream school of mine since 2013, so not in the best place about it. 

DGS said I was on a small waitlist but not a ton of hope of movement since Emory has increased their stipend in a significant way this year. 

Also waitlisted at Emory. All the best to you and I hope you get in.

1 minute ago, kitties said:

Waitlisted at USC! So excited.

Is there any waitlist etiquette to follow? Like, am I supposed to email back and say thanks or something? Haha.

Congrats! There's a thread on the forum about waitlist etiquette that I found helpful, and I followed its tips when speaking to my POI at Stanford. I'd recommend taking a look there! 

On 2/16/2019 at 12:28 AM, trytostay said:

Waitlisted at Columbia. Pretty bummed, but not devastated. I’ve got my fingers crossed that I move up to an acceptance! 

Letter says that it’s a “short” waitlist but I might not hear back until April 15th. I have other offers I need to either accept or decline by then, so I’m really, really hoping I know sooner rather than later.

Does anyone know about past experiences with Columbia’s waitlist??

EDIT: Waitlisted at Wash U as well. Wasn't expecting to hear from them at all, but...cool, I guess! Not a bad thing.

Hey! Have you been invited to Visiting Day at Columbia? 

1 hour ago, The Wordsworthian said:

Waitlisted at UConn but don't feel very great about it. 

Congrats! At least it’s better than nothing. I’m still waiting on some sort of a response from UConn. I don’t know what to expect at this point. Best of luck to you! 

Sooo... waitlist at Princeton Comp Lit!

I have two waitlist positions now, not sure how to feel about them. On the one hand, they're programs that on paper I'd be thrilled to attend. On the other, how can you make a decision on a school / department you haven't even been able to visit? How do other waitlisters think about this?

@FiguresIII Columbia invited me to their visiting day and said I’d be welcome to all the events. WUSTL did not, but I wouldn’t accept an offer there over my current offers. However, in your case, I agree. I wouldn’t feel comfortable accepting an offer from a school I wasn’t able to visit first. Are you sure Princeton won’t invite you to the visit? Perhaps there’s a follow up email coming? I wasn’t invited to Columbia until a day after hearing about my waitlist status. Also: CONGRATULATIONS! :) 

Edited by trytostay

7 minutes ago, FiguresIII said:

Sooo... waitlist at Princeton Comp Lit!

I have two waitlist positions now, not sure how to feel about them. On the one hand, they're programs that on paper I'd be thrilled to attend. On the other, how can you make a decision on a school / department you haven't even been able to visit? How do other waitlisters think about this?

I feel the same way RE: Stanford. My POI said that while waitlisted students cannot officially attend visit day (which is so weird lmfao), if you are in the area, professors would be more than happy to meet, etc. So if you end up visiting Berkeley and want to make a bit of a trek to Palo Alto, I'm sure you'd be welcome! None of my schools are in California, so I won't be visiting.