Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

10 hours ago, roadrunner_33 said:

I thought for sure UPenn was an IR but emailed the grad coordinator bc I felt like the $90 app fee should entitle me to the dignity of a proper rejection. I have no info about the waitlist having not received Prof Eng's original email. But hopefully something soon. 

IDEA: If a school doesn't send any notification at all, they should obligated to refund the application fee. 

Hi everyone! I've lurked this forum for a while now and finally made an account. Anyone know anything about the Harvard English PhD waitlist or planning to decline an offer? I got the email on Friday and would absolutely love to make it in somehow. 

Edited by SolusRex

15 hours ago, SolusRex said:

Hi everyone! I've lurked this forum for a while now and finally made an account. Anyone know anything about the Harvard English PhD waitlist or planning to decline an offer? I got the email on Friday and would absolutely love to make it in somehow. 

I didn’t even know Harvard had a waitlist! Good luck to you!!!

20 hours ago, punctilious said:

I didn’t even know Harvard had a waitlist! Good luck to you!!!

Thank you! I'm kinda nervous to email and ask if it's ranked/where I stand. Maybe a stretch, but I'm hoping that no one else reporting a waitlist on here is a sign the list is small.

8 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Was told I'm on a "semifinalist waitlist" at UV. Anyone holding offers or also on the waitlist, you mind sharing if you intend to accept and what your field is?

On the same kind of waitlist at UVA. I’m an early modernist. 

9 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Was told I'm on a "semifinalist waitlist" at UV. Anyone holding offers or also on the waitlist, you mind sharing if you intend to accept and what your field is?

Is the waitlist for the PhD or the MA? I declined an offer to the MA last week. 

Just now, amphilanthus said:

congrats @WildeThing and @Rootbound! when did you hear? trying to decide if it's time to a. desperately beg them for info, b. keep waiting, or c. just snap completely and scream into a pillow for a thousand years, like a rational and patient adult. 

I emailed them yesterday.

1 hour ago, amphilanthus said:

congrats @WildeThing and @Rootbound! when did you hear? trying to decide if it's time to a. desperately beg them for info, b. keep waiting, or c. just snap completely and scream into a pillow for a thousand years, like a rational and patient adult. 

Well I would encourage you to desperately beg them for info because that's exactly what I did. 

1 hour ago, WildeThing said:

Eighteenth-century and I have an offer. I’m currently leaning towards a different program but I can’t say 100% until all my visits are complete, which will be April 4th! I’m trying to make a decision as quickly as I can for the sake of those on the waitlists!

Early modern dude here. I've been wait listed at Vanderbilt and Buffalo. 

I don't want to influence anyone's decision unfairly, but I hear the hazing process at both schools is rough, bordering on sadistic: They make you eat a bowl of Skyline chili. So if you don't like the taste of ketchup-soaked cloves and lukewarm pencil shavings, you may want to direct your future elsewhere. 

59 minutes ago, MaoistTowelette said:

Early modern dude here. I've been wait listed at Vanderbilt and Buffalo. 

I don't want to influence anyone's decision unfairly, but I hear the hazing process at both schools is rough, bordering on sadistic: They make you eat a bowl of Skyline chili. So if you don't like the taste of ketchup-soaked cloves and lukewarm pencil shavings, you may want to direct your future elsewhere. 

Wait, is that a real thing?!?! 

16 hours ago, SolusRex said:

Thank you! I'm kinda nervous to email and ask if it's ranked/where I stand. Maybe a stretch, but I'm hoping that no one else reporting a waitlist on here is a sign the list is small.

Hey! Another Harvard waitlist member here. I called them this morning, and they said the waitlist was fairly short. They already over-accept, and they stressed that they would not 1) offer a spot on a waitlist to someone less admissible than the admitted, and 2) that they didn't like to put many people on the waitlist and string people along who really had no chance to be accepted off it.

But yes, my impression is 6 or 7 people have to decline for them to take from our pool. And that they're relying on past yield rates (per the norm). It really comes down to who declines.

They would not disclose ranking and/or other ways they organize the waitlist. My fairly baseless guess is they'd go off of filling underrepresented research interests.

10 hours ago, trytostay said:

Eighteenth-century and I have an offer. I’m currently leaning towards a different program but I can’t say 100% until all my visits are complete, which will be April 4th! I’m trying to make a decision as quickly as I can for the sake of those on the waitlists!

Thanks for the information!

16 hours ago, WildeThing said:

I'm also on a waitlist at UVA, though they said it was very possible but somewhat unlikely that a spot would open up. (I sent an email to them last week.) I do contemporary lit and critical race theory. Other than UVA's waitlist, I'm a shut out for this season.

emailed UVA and heard that i'm also on the waitlist there! fairly encouraging message, and above all else, i'm just really glad to finally hear something from them! anyone who's still waiting, you should definitely reach out.

fingers crossed for some movement on the list for all of us! i'm an early modernist fwiw

21 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

emailed UVA and heard that i'm also on the waitlist there! fairly encouraging message, and above all else, i'm just really glad to finally hear something from them! anyone who's still waiting, you should definitely reach out.

fingers crossed for some movement on the list for all of us! i'm an early modernist fwiw

Glad you got good news!!