Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

7 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Apparently the UVA waitlist is split into fields.

Oh interesting! Did you get any more information on how the waitlist works? My email didn't sound that hopeful, though it kept the possibility of an offer open, so I'm wondering if there are different tiers or something.

43 minutes ago, dreampigeon said:

My email didn't sound that hopeful, though it kept the possibility of an offer open, so I'm wondering if there are different tiers or something.

In previous years, people have mentioned that UVA maintains both a shortlist and a long waitlist. I think the survey page also makes mention of it. 

5 hours ago, dreampigeon said:

Oh interesting! Did you get any more information on how the waitlist works? My email didn't sound that hopeful, though it kept the possibility of an offer open, so I'm wondering if there are different tiers or something.

I don’t know anything else, sorry.

17 minutes ago, Crusteater said:

Hi, may I ask those who emailed UVA — who are you supposed to email for an update on your application status?

i emailed the director of graduate admissions!

On 3/4/2019 at 1:20 PM, WildeThing said:

Was told I'm on a "semifinalist waitlist" at UV. Anyone holding offers or also on the waitlist, you mind sharing if you intend to accept and what your field is?

Sorry! I didn't see this til today. I'm in at UVA as a 19th century Americanist, and will almost certainly be accepting their offer. 

Hey y’all, so with my offer from SMU I’m questioning staying on the waitlists at Loyola and BU. Really their respective attractions are Suzanne Bost and ranking. I’m thinking I’d like to email both and ask some questions that might make my decisions easier. For example: what’s the conference funding like? How easy is it for students to work interdisciplinary tracks? Etc. Do you think this is appropriate for a waitlisted student to do? Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Hey y’all, so with my offer from SMU I’m questioning staying on the waitlists at Loyola and BU. Really their respective attractions are Suzanne Bost and ranking. I’m thinking I’d like to email both and ask some questions that might make my decisions easier. For example: what’s the conference funding like? How easy is it for students to work interdisciplinary tracks? Etc. Do you think this is appropriate for a waitlisted student to do? Thanks in advance.

imo it’s totally appropriate to do so - I got advice along those same lines from a professor when I expressed some waitlist stress, she encouraged me to ask questions and to let them know it would be helpful in evaluating my options. I haven’t actually done so yet, so can’t speak to how it might go over, but it sounds to me like it would be absolutely fine. my two cents!

1 hour ago, kendalldinniene said:

I had similar questions, and I was actually surprised at the lengthy and interested response I got from a program I’m waitlisted at. The tone of the response actually convinced me to stay on the waitlist more than the answers themselves, which is helpful information to have. I say definitely go for it—if they don’t answer at all, or if they are dismissive, that’s good information to have too!

trying to decide if movement on UCSB's waitlist is possible/has happened...anyone have any info?

Edited by sidmeier

3 hours ago, Hopeful and Not said:

Looking through a number of "from the waitlist" acceptances, it makes me wonder, when is it appropriate to consider the waitlisted university a rejection? Do they send out additional rejections for waitlisted students when they have no shot or do they have to simply wait it out until April 15th?

I can only speak from my experience on Ohio’s waitlist last year and what BU told me about the waitlist this year: all bets are off until 4/15 or later. Not great news, I know, but that’s been my experience.

12 hours ago, Hopeful and Not said:

Looking through a number of "from the waitlist" acceptances, it makes me wonder, when is it appropriate to consider the waitlisted university a rejection? Do they send out additional rejections for waitlisted students when they have no shot or do they have to simply wait it out until April 15th?

I’m sure many schools operate differently, but I will let you know my waitlist experiences. 

Last year I was waitlisted at two universities and didn’t hear anything other than my initial waitlist status via emails in mid- February. For a month and a half I touched base with the programs once to affirm interest and check status, but I mainly had no contact and just waited.

I thought April 15th would be the magical day to end all waiting! Nothing...

On April 16th I couldn’t stand it any longer and reached out. 

Both schools said they were impressed (etc.) but needed more time. Essentially, I wasn’t the first person on the list and they’d extended an offer(s) to someone and that person was allowed some time to think over the offer.

After a few days, one school sent me an official rejection notice from the DGS (who was very kind) and said apply in the future as they had been fighting for me.

After a week of waiting with school two, I inquired again. They said they were waiting to hear on a couple of offers still.

Finally, on May 7th, the person I had been communicating with emailed with the final rejection. ?

All of that waiting... for that....

This year I’m on a waitlist. They’ve assured me they’ll notify me the second my status changes ? I’m sure they will... that exact second...

And then I have an acceptance!!! But...it came with a waitlist for funding.... so I guess I’ll just wait on that... ? Again, they’ve assured me of their definite interest and immediate notification when/if there’s a change. And since they said “immediate” I’ll just keep checking my email sixty times a day...

58 minutes ago, LurkersGonnaLurk said:

This year I’m on a waitlist. They’ve assured me they’ll notify me the second my status changes ? I’m sure they will... that exact second...

And then I have an acceptance!!! But...it came with a waitlist for funding.... so I guess I’ll just wait on that... ? Again, they’ve assured me of their definite interest and immediate notification when/if there’s a change. And since they said “immediate” I’ll just keep checking my email sixty times a day...

this is the exact same boat I'm in right now. I'm still waiting on 2 programs, and losing my shit every second.