Here Comes the Sun/ Waitlist Movements

One of my waitlist schools is NYU which is my top choice and last year the admits sent out final decisions even in June! I'm quite anxious because I need enough time for my i-20 visa process. What if I get off the waitlist quite after April 15th.. do i still have time for this documentation process? I have no idea... If not even if I get a chance to be admitted, it cannot work out.... 

1 hour ago, hope_1 said:

One of my waitlist schools is NYU which is my top choice and last year the admits sent out final decisions even in June! I'm quite anxious because I need enough time for my i-20 visa process. What if I get off the waitlist quite after April 15th.. do i still have time for this documentation process? I have no idea... If not even if I get a chance to be admitted, it cannot work out.... 

From my understanding, schools try their best to lock up class size around April 15th. My guess as to what happened in June was that somebody who committed had to withdraw for personal or family reasons, which is what caused such a delay in an acceptance. It's also the reason why schools send out "interest" feelers before then to see who would be open to accepting a later-than-anticipated slot.

5 hours ago, bpilgrim89 said:

I have now gotten two "you're still in the running!" emails, and I am certain you can feel my anxiety from a 30-mile radius.

I have three waitlists but have gotten none of those emails yet--but I second your anxiety. Only one waitlist school could really make a difference for me... I also hate making my current top choice wait it out because they've been so wonderful.

13 minutes ago, marisawhy said:

I also hate making my current top choice wait it out because they've been so wonderful.

Same here! I only applied to three schools, and I'm down to a waitlist for a funded Ph.D. program and an acceptance for a funded M.A. I feel terrible about the wait I'm putting the M.A. program through. The M.A. program even contacted me and encouraged me to just go ahead and accept their offer, noting that if I got another preferable offer they'd have no issue granting the release for me to go elsewhere. I think I'd prefer to avoid jumping through those hoops, however, so I'm just waiting until right up to the deadline. Still, I feel your pain--I hate making them wait on me.

47 minutes ago, marisawhy said:

Only one waitlist school could really make a difference for me...

Quoting myself because twenty minutes after posting this I heard from Penn State! Apparently their numbers are solidifying and it looks like they won't have room for me. LOOKS LIKE I'M GOING TO OREGON STATE! :lol:

9 minutes ago, marisawhy said:

Quoting myself because twenty minutes after posting this I heard from Penn State! Apparently their numbers are solidifying and it looks like they won't have room for me. LOOKS LIKE I'M GOING TO OREGON STATE! :lol:

Congratulations! Great school and a great program. I grew up near Eugene and I've always had a soft spot for Corvallis. :D

I know that at least four people on grad cafe were wait listed at Tennessee for the PhD program. I was just moved up from #2 on the waitlist to #1 in the Rhetoric, Writing, and Linguistics PhD track. 

Sending a post out in the universe to ask if the person who was #1 on the wait list is still active on here and if you are considering UTK's offer. 

12 minutes ago, sarahchristine said:

Was just admitted off the waiting list at Lehigh, with full funding! I'm ecstatic right now! 

Yay! Congratulations.

I tried to like your post but it told me that I "can't have any more reactions today." Fitting, given my neurotic mental state.

Anyone here who's on/heard about the CUNY waitlist? I know there's been some movement, and I have all my fingers crossed and was wondering if anyone knew people who're accepting/decline/have heard anything at all. (This is probably just my anxiety talking at this point). Best of luck to all! 

1 hour ago, starrystarry said:

Anyone here who's on/heard about the CUNY waitlist? I know there's been some movement, and I have all my fingers crossed and was wondering if anyone knew people who're accepting/decline/have heard anything at all. (This is probably just my anxiety talking at this point). Best of luck to all! 

I haven't heard from them (except the info re: the visit day I wasn't able to make). Today I did get the weird email about signing up for classes in the Mathematics graduate major that gave me a minor heart attack, but I think that was a mistake. 

2 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

I haven't heard from them (except the info re: the visit day I wasn't able to make). Today I did get the weird email about signing up for classes in the Mathematics graduate major that gave me a minor heart attack, but I think that was a mistake. 

I got the same weird e-mail except I never applied to them. I think it has to do with the buttons we pressed when we took the GRE.

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

I got the same weird e-mail except I never applied to them. I think it has to do with the buttons we pressed when we took the GRE.

Oh, haha! I thought it was just a database thing. Like they sent something out to all waiting potentials when they meant to just send it out to theirs? But I guess they thought everyone needed to know about their fabulous math seminars. It's not too late to change majors, you know. We could get in on that sweet, sweet quantum topology class. 

12 minutes ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

Oh, haha! I thought it was just a database thing. Like they sent something out to all waiting potentials when they meant to just send it out to theirs? But I guess they thought everyone needed to know about their fabulous math seminars. It's not too late to change majors, you know. We could get in on that sweet, sweet quantum topology class. 

We'd be very diverse applicants! I don't imagine Math programs get many applicants with an English BA and MA! WUSTL already has my heart though!

8 hours ago, Warelin said:

I too got the CUNY mathematics email, and I've never applied to them. I think you're right about the GRE.

15 hours ago, starrystarry said:

Hi, I am a CUNY admit who is unfortunately still languishing on a waitlist for a different program. (Sorry!!) I still don't know what's happening with my own life/CUNY acceptance, but I can tell you that someone from my cohort was just admitted from their waitlist this week.

FWIW When I was at CUNY's open house, I was one of only two admitted students who were actually in attendance, and the majority were waitlisted folk. So, in short, I'm inclined to believe that there is likely more waitlist movement to come for CUNY.

Just got off the phone with Syracuse and they said I am first in line on the waitlist for funding! They are calling someone now either to make an offer/check on the offer before they can make me an offer. I really, really, really love this program, so if you're the person who the offer is being made to and you're unsure about this program, please decline!!

On 4/12/2018 at 12:51 PM, Wooshkuh said:

I know that at least four people on grad cafe were wait listed at Tennessee for the PhD program. I was just moved up from #2 on the waitlist to #1 in the Rhetoric, Writing, and Linguistics PhD track. 

Sending a post out in the universe to ask if the person who was #1 on the wait list is still active on here and if you are considering UTK's offer. 

I can walk up to the grad office and casually ask about that list for you if you'd like.

@Wooshkuh

Edited by Carl Mark
adding an @

I officially committed to Miami of Ohio (PhD comp/rhet) and turned down Purdue (PhD rhet/comp). Hope that can help someone else out if they were waiting to hear from Purdue! Or, perhaps it would just complicate things at this point ?

On 4/12/2018 at 8:03 PM, M(allthevowels)H said:

Thanks! My heart stopped when I saw those emails too. I guess I’ll know either way by tomorrow...

On 4/13/2018 at 9:49 AM, bpilgrim89 said:

Hi, I am a CUNY admit who is unfortunately still languishing on a waitlist for a different program. (Sorry!!) I still don't know what's happening with my own life/CUNY acceptance, but I can tell you that someone from my cohort was just admitted from their waitlist this week.

FWIW When I was at CUNY's open house, I was one of only two admitted students who were actually in attendance, and the majority were waitlisted folk. So, in short, I'm inclined to believe that there is likely more waitlist movement to come for CUNY.

Best of luck for the one you’re waiting for! I hope so - the CUNY waitlist is my only chance of getting in this year, so I’m hoping my email has some good news over the weekend, but every minute is anguish at this point. Thank you! I was at the open house too, and got my hopes up seeing how many students were on the waitlist so let’s see. Thanks again, fingers crossed!