BERKELEY MSW FALL 18

Karessala

Hi everyone was accepted into UCB  strengthening children and family services as well as title IV-E.  

For the sake of adding more information as it can always be helpful, I received an email to my personal email at 1:26 PM which stated there was an update in my graduate application and to log in to find out when I opened it and email along With confetti congratulated me. And hour later I received a letter with finding explaining my acceptance into the title I VE program.

1 hour ago, ChicanaMSW2018 said:

Congratulations ??!! I am sure you are over the moon! 

Would you mind sharing what concentration you were accepted for? Title IV-E?  

On a MSW UC/CSU FB page 2 people recieved notices of being waitlisted for UCB’s MSW program, (1 was title IV-e the other was not) today 3/6/2018 it appeared around 11:20am.  

Please post if you hear anything. 

Thanks! I am. 

I applied, and was accepted, for the “Advancing Health and Wellbeing across the Adult Life Span” specialization, formally, “Direct Practice in Community Mental Health Services”. I got the email around noon. 

Have you heard back yet?? If not, best of luck!!

1 hour ago, AHabG said:

Thanks! I am. 

I applied, and was accepted, for the “Advancing Health and Wellbeing across the Adult Life Span” specialization, formally, “Direct Practice in Community Mental Health Services”. I got the email around noon. 

Hi yes I was also accepted!! I got into the “Strengthening Children, Youth and Families” formally Direct Practice in Children and Family Services. I was also accepted into Title IV-e! 

Edited by ChicanaMSW2018

@MSW_bound2018 Hi, I just got accepted this afternoon into the aging concentration. Honestly, I did not at all expect to get accepted into Berkeley! My GPA is only a 3.1, however, I believe I wrote a really strong personal statement and statement of purpose. I have 4+ years of work in nursing homes as a medication technician and lead care manager. I also have an internship right now with Kaiser Permanente in their hospice department. My references were from my sociology professor/advisor, LCSW I worked for, and the head nurse of the nursing home I worked for. I am completing my bachelor's degree in Sociology with a minor in Psychology at CSULB. I also think it helped that I have done a lot of research. Because of my degree in sociology, we had to conduct our own researches in school, and I heard that because Berkeley is very research-based, they do like research experience. 

So yeah, totally excited to go to Berkeley!! This is seriously like a dream come true. I literally started crying when I got my acceptance.

Edited by kneekole

4 hours ago, MSW_bound2018 said:

I know this is ridiculous because it totally depends on so many factors, but I'm in freak out mode...

Can anyone who was accepted share brief stats? 

Hi MSWBound I was accepted here are some stats:

BA in sociology from CSUEB c/o 2015

2yr working with adults with developmental disabilities 

3 yrs working with local Social Services Agency as an eligibility worker and now as an employment counselor 

bilingual fluent in Spanish

cum GPA 3.4

i applied for title IV-e

3 hours ago, lost686girl said:

Hummm I haven’t heard anything today, wonder if that means a rejection is coming ? This school was 100% my reach so I’m not too pressed tho 

@ChicanaMSW2018 I’m so happy you got in ?

Thanks @lost686girl you’re so sweet! I was so excited and had to leave my work space when I got the email. Needless to say I was in the stairwell crying! I don’t think you should count yourself out just yet, they accept 90 people and I doubt they sent out all notices today. 

17 minutes ago, MSWF2018 said:

Just wanted to let you know that I just received an email to check my portal and was not accepted into the program. Hope this helps. Congrats to all that have been accepted!

I just received the same email. I knew it was a long shot since I am out of state and the MAP concentration is notoriously small. 

I was in the bath when I received the email which really fueled the drama of the rejection lol 

Edited by lostxoco

On 3/7/2018 at 7:12 AM, AHabG said:

Thanks! I am. 

Congrats! Same here. same specialization!

I've been struggling with the decision for a while. Have you made your mind?

Btw what do you think about the clinical practice of UCB? I could barely find much information and even the curriculum online doesn't show the elective...

On 3/15/2018 at 7:45 PM, DearR said:

Congrats! Same here. same specialization!

I've been struggling with the decision for a while. Have you made your mind?

Btw what do you think about the clinical practice of UCB? I could barely find much information and even the curriculum online doesn't show the elective...

Between what schools are you deciding?  I am strongly leaning towards Cal. It makes the most sense financially and for a lot of other reasons for me. Plus it’s also an amazing program and school. 

I’m still not sure how I feel about the new curriculums though. I wish I knew more about them.  If you’re looking for a school that specializes in clinical practice, I’m not sure Berkley is your bet. At least not from what I understand.  It definitely depends on what your options are though.  I also don’t think Cal is going to set you up for failure in a matter what you do.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I was received a waitlist offer on March 6th. I have been eagerly awaiting a notification the last few days for a potential spot in the newly admitted class for fall of 2018. UCB is my #1 choice and it would be a dream to be admitted to their MSW Program in their Health Concentration. Hoping a spot may open up for admission! Positive thoughts and wishes to anyone else who may be eagerly awaiting good news.

Edited by Terra_R

On 17/4/2018 at 4:52 PM, Terra_R said:

Hey guys,

I was received a waitlist offer on March 6th. I have been eagerly awaiting a notification the last few days for a potential spot in the newly admitted class for fall of 2018. UCB is my #1 choice and it would be a dream to be admitted to their MSW Program in their Health Concentration. Hoping a spot may open up for admission! Positive thoughts and wishes to anyone else who may be eagerly awaiting good news.

Hey!! So did I!! I already committed to Columbia University but I asked to be notified if a space opened up. Good luck to you! Crossing my fingers :)