SJSU MSW Program for 2018

cfsmsw

I applied for the aging concentration. I applied the last day (I'm a really bad procrastinator). My GPA isn't that great, it's a 3.1. I have 4+ years of experience working in nursing homes. I also have an internship right now with Kaiser Permanente's Hospice Program. My references were pretty good. It's not my top school, but I'd still love to get in if all else fails. 

17 hours ago, jenMSW2018 said:

I’m on the same boat! I applied to the online program to continue working full time. Do you know anyone in the program?

Eeee!!! It feels pretty nerve-wrecking putting all my eggs in one basket but I'm trying not to be attached to any outcome! If it happens, great! If not, I'll look into other programs next year. 

I do know just one person in the online program. I work with her currently at SFUSD. She's only had good things to say about it! :)

21 minutes ago, NKA said:

Eeee!!! It feels pretty nerve-wrecking putting all my eggs in one basket but I'm trying not to be attached to any outcome! If it happens, great! If not, I'll look into other programs next year. 

I do know just one person in the online program. I work with her currently at SFUSD. She's only had good things to say about it! :)

Did you apply anywhere else and did you happen to ask her when she got admitted?

18 hours ago, jenMSW2018 said:

Did you apply anywhere else and did you happen to ask her when she got admitted?

I didn't apply anywhere else. I made the decision to apply pretty late (early January) so by that time, most of the other deadlines had passed. I also want to still be able to work full time while in school so this was the only program that would allow me to do that. 

I don't know when she was notified but I'll ask her next time I see her. :) It seems like the folks who posted in the results forum didn't get notified until late March -early May. I have a feeling this is going to take a while. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

48 minutes ago, NKA said:

I didn't apply anywhere else. I made the decision to apply pretty late (early January) so by that time, most of the other deadlines had passed. I also want to still be able to work full time while in school so this was the only program that would allow me to do that.

This is the only program I applied to as well! I applied for the mental health and children and families concentrations (although mental health is the one I really want) and I'm going for the 3 year on campus part time since I wanna keep working full time too (I'm in Santa Cruz so it shouldn't be too bad of a commute the first two years lol)

I hope we all get in ??

Has anyone heard back yet? I saw on the results page that someone was accepted via phone. Did any of y’all post this? 

6EFF24FC-AFEE-4FE4-83E8-6D9C269CAA09.png

Edited by NKA
To add photo

13 hours ago, NKA said:

Has anyone heard back yet? I saw on the results page that someone was accepted via phone. Did any of y’all post this? 

6EFF24FC-AFEE-4FE4-83E8-6D9C269CAA09.png

Hmm seems early for SJSU, hopefully we hear soon. 

On 3/2/2018 at 5:34 PM, cfsmsw said:

Did anyone apply for the stipend? it was due yesterday by 5pm. Also, did anyone else also complete the financial aid app? I received a message in MYSJSU to complete it by march 2nd for maximum funding but i haven't heard anything yet from the program. 

Hi applied to the title IV- stipend. 

I also received the FAFSA email, I got excited  thinking it was an answer or something! 

Edited by ChicanaMSW2018
Adding more

5 hours ago, ChicanaMSW2018 said:

Hmm seems early for SJSU, hopefully we hear soon. 

that's what I thought too! I figured we wouldn't start hearing back until next month! 

23 minutes ago, NKA said:

that's what I thought too! I figured we wouldn't start hearing back until next month! 

I agree, from what I’ve gathered they start sending notices out in April. I see SJSU is the only school you applied to, I believe they have the largest MSW class around so that is promising! 

I’m waiting to hear back from UCB as well as SJSU, I’ve already submitted my SIR to CSUEB as that is my 2nd option and I want to lock it in for safety. 

Edited by ChicanaMSW2018
Grammar

On 3/5/2018 at 3:13 PM, ChicanaMSW2018 said:

I also received the FAFSA email, I got excited  thinking it was an answer or something! 

I was looking back on old posts and some received the message and some didn't... those who did were accepted...sooooo...   hopefully thats good news? lol some who also didn't get the message were also admitted so i don't know.... just having wishful thinking. lol

I didn't apply for the stipend, I wasn't sure I would want to move to any county in CA to perform the 2 years of service after graduation, and not sure if I want to go into Children/Youth/Family.

I did too!  I was thinking it's really early to hear but OMG that would be exciting! I know 3 people currently in the program, they received their decision by the end of March via email.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:22 PM, BmaMSW said:

Hello everyone!! You guys don’t understand how happy I am to find this forum. I applied to SJSU and haven’t heard back so I was really freaking out. Good luck to all of you!

Good luck!!

On 3/14/2018 at 7:08 PM, Snowflake99 said:

I didn't apply for the stipend, I wasn't sure I would want to move to any county in CA to perform the 2 years of service after graduation, and not sure if I want to go into Children/Youth/Family.

Your reasons for not applying for the stipend make complete sense. For me, it’s a win win. I work for my local County so I am hoping to intern there, the 2 year payback as a child welfare worker would count towards my LCSW. My degree would be an MSW not MSW in Children and Family, meaning I can take it where ever I decide later on and don’t have to stick to children and families. 

I was accepted to UC Berkeley on 3/6/2017 for their Strenthening Children, Youth and Families and title IV-E, this is my top choice so I am no longer in the waiting game. I will continue checking in if I hear anything from SJSU! Good luck everyone!! 

On 2/17/2018 at 8:43 AM, ktl510 said:

Hi! I was hoping to find a thread on SJSU! I applied end of January with the children, youth, and families concentration. I’ve been noticed that my app is in “final review”, but nothing more than that.

Is it still in "final review"?

Hi everyone! I also am waiting anxiously to know whether or not I got in. It seemed like last year people that applied for the online hybrid or 3yr program got their offers much later than the 2yr program applicants. My fiancé is currently in the 2yr program and I remember he got the call on April 24th of last year. I had initially applied with the 2yr program as my top choice but then emailed and asked them if they could consider me for the 3yr program instead and received an email from the director... I think that's a good thing???maybe I'm on his radar now?? GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!!!