SJSU MSW Program for 2018

cfsmsw

On 4/3/2018 at 9:23 AM, danie89 said:

If you don't mind me asking when did you submit your application?

Not at all! I submitted my application on 1/31. I applied to and was admitted to the online/Hybrid program. 

Edited by NKA
typo

My status recently change to accepted classified.  Does anyone know for certain if this means that you are accepted  for enrollment in the fall?  I called and the receptionist didn’t have any information and said she couldn’t respond to the question and to email the director, but I’m sure he’s very busy.  I just wanna know for certain before I start jumping up and down!

Hi all, when you guys say you turned in your application by a certain date is that the date your application was considered complete? (Including all transcripts and letters of recommendation or just the application itself?) 

I submitted my online application a week before the deadline for the on-campus program. I haven't heard anything and that makes me nervous. 

4 hours ago, GradEnthusiast said:

My status recently change to accepted classified.  Does anyone know for certain if this means that you are accepted  for enrollment in the fall?  I called and the receptionist didn’t have any information and said she couldn’t respond to the question and to email the director, but I’m sure he’s very busy.  I just wanna know for certain before I start jumping up and down!

Congrats! pretty sure you've been admitted. 

2 hours ago, msw0021 said:

Hi all, when you guys say you turned in your application by a certain date is that the date your application was considered complete? (Including all transcripts and letters of recommendation or just the application itself?) 

I submitted my online application a week before the deadline for the on-campus program. I haven't heard anything and that makes me nervous. 

i'm sure that is when they submitted everything. Letter of Recs were given a different deadline and that is something the applicant has no control of. I submitted my app 2 weeks before the deadline but i'm pretty sure I won't be admitted. My GPA is too low and I was really relying on my years of experience to give me an edge but i'm already losing hope and accepted that I won't get in... again...  there's still 2 more agonizing months left. haha best of luck to you!

Edited by cfsmsw

17 hours ago, GradEnthusiast said:

Congrats! :D Which program did you apply to??

1 hour ago, GradEnthusiast said:

I applied to the two year on campus. The congratulations letter came three days after my status changed. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! 

I might have missed it but when did you submit your application? 

Edited by msw0021

Good morning and happy Saturday everyone, I checked my SJSU portal today and I was accepted to SJSU 2yr MSW program. No email, portal status:  “accepted -

classified graduate”. I will be not be accepting admission, headed to UC Berkeley in the Fall. I hope this helps 

Applied : UCB 12/1, CSUEB 12/15, SJSU 12/15

Accepted: CSUEB 2/21, UCB 3/6, SJSU 4/13

Admitted: UCB MSW Fall 2018

Hello Lovely People!

My status has just changed to "Accepted-Classified Graduate."

I applied on 1/31/2018 and opted for the 3 year part time, 2 year full time then the Online/Hybrid, in that order of preference.

I have not been notified which program I have been accepted to but I will update everyone as soon as I find out.

Good Luck Everyone!!

Hello! I am currently in undergrad at SJSU and graduating this spring. I applied to the MSW program on 1/19 and am still "Refer to grad dept - provisional". I've felt in the dark about the application process and am glad to find this forum!

I have friends who work in the GAPE office and because I am still in undergrad, my situation might be unique in the sense that the MSW program may be waiting for my final transcript, but may not. I also shared the mixed reactions to the generic email over spring break. 

All I know is that the MSW received their budget and then started accepting for mainly the new online program. I would prefer the 2 year in person, but am just playing the waiting game...
I feel qualified based on what the MSW program publicized as qualifications. My social experience would be my weakness. My GPA is pretty solid. It has been an antsy semester in this weird limbo of grad school or nah? get a job or nah? I also only applied to SJSU as I have fallen in love with it during my undergrad.

Congrats to everyone who has heard of their decision, that's awesome! I hope to share that experience.

I created an account specifically for this topic!! I applied to three schools. I was rejected from one (SFSU), waitlisted for one (UMT), and I am still waiting on SJSU. I applied in January. My status has been “referred to grad dept” for almost 2 months now!! I am going crazy and check my portal multiple times per day. 

Edited by mastersofstress

Hey Guys-

I was notified today that I have been accepted to the 3 Year/Part-Time Program.

I had to email the school for this information as I have not received an acceptance package.

I have submitted my intent to enroll.

Good Luck Everyone! 

4 hours ago, NessitaD said:

Hey Guys-

I was notified today that I have been accepted to the 3 Year/Part-Time Program.

I had to email the school for this information as I have not received an acceptance package.

I have submitted my intent to enroll.

Good Luck Everyone! 

Congrats!
Wait, so you're saying you decided to ask the grad program what your status was and they told you? 
Like, your status on MySJSU did not change?

2 hours ago, BriettnyMSW? said:

Congrats!
Wait, so you're saying you decided to ask the grad program what your status was and they told you? 
Like, your status on MySJSU did not change?

My status changed in my portal but the department was not specific about which program I was accepted to. After you are accepted, you are able to see your admit letter online. The admit letter did not specify which program I was accepted to so I emailed the department to ask. 

16 hours ago, NessitaD said:

My status changed in my portal but the department was not specific about which program I was accepted to. After you are accepted, you are able to see your admit letter online. The admit letter did not specify which program I was accepted to so I emailed the department to ask. 

Congrats! Would you be willing to share your stats?

7 hours ago, BananaSlug4MSW said:

Congrats! Would you be willing to share your stats?

Thank you!

I don’t mind... please let me know if there’s something specific you’re wanting to know aside from what I’ll share below.

3.5 GPA 

Volunteer related social work experience, internship related social work experience. 

Exposure to children and families through elementary school work.

Currently employed by Santa Clara County in Behavioral Health Department working with children and families. 

Bilingual in Spanish 

On 4/20/2018 at 3:54 PM, mastersofstress said:

I created an account specifically for this topic!! I applied to three schools. I was rejected from one (SFSU), waitlisted for one (UMT), and I am still waiting on SJSU. I applied in January. My status has been “referred to grad dept” for almost 2 months now!! I am going crazy and check my portal multiple times per day. 

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say that I heard back today, I have been accepted!

Stats 

3.34 undergrad GPA

volunteer experience w/ Crisis Text Line 

paid experience working with children and families dealing with trauma

Hey guys! I've totally been ghosting this thread for months but just wanted to say that I received my acceptance email today! The status on MySJSU account hadn't changed, though, so I called the school and they said as long as the email came from the department, then I'm accepted. I'll be doing the Online/Hybrid program come fall :)

I don't know if it helps anyone but my stats are:

3.6 GPA

BS of Psychology 

Psychology tutor, employed by my undergrad

0 (none) volunteer/work experience that is directly related to social work

Work in a counseling clinic as an office assistant (this was also my internship)

Years (I began in the 5th grade) of volunteer experience with things like mentoring "at risk" children, training guide dogs, peer counseling and being Mental Health First Aide Certified 

Very strong letters of recommendation: one from my boss, one from a professor that I am close with, and one from the Department Chair of the Psychology program at my undergrad school 

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Edited by PsychtoSocialWork