Canada Graduate Scholarship (SSHRC) MA 2018-19

Xenia2191

I am wondering if previous applicants see a pattern/sign in which your application is likely to be offered an award. ...I am not sure if my question makes sense, hoping for a two cents tip for a piece of mind from your previous experiences. 

14 minutes ago, venuswithabook said:

Oh so many factors...At this point, i'm just trying to be patient and not worry since there are so many variables. I'm setting myself up for rejection, since it's really difficult to get one. 

P.S. it' interesting that you got an e-mail from the school. Which school is that? 

The department I applied to at U of T

40 minutes ago, Sasha_Grad said:

It really doesn't mean anything. They will all get updated by the 1st. Sometimes declines come in faster because you didn't make it past the departmental competition, the change can also mean that you have either got the award or are on the waiting list (yes, there is a waiting list), sometimes schools wait until the entire competition is done so they can update all the profiles at once. There are many factors.

For example, I got an email saying my application was ranked very highly on the departmental and school level and that I should check for results on April 1st. The school has still not updated it's status in the research portal.

@Sasha_Grad Do you mind me asking when you received the email from your dept at uoft? I also received an email somewhere in Feb saying that my application passed the departmental level. But I haven't heard about it passing/not passing "the school" level as it is the next round of competition. I assume you received "the school level" email recently? 

Edited by CH OISE

I agree that there probably isn’t any way to predict whether you’ll get the award or not... I am a first year masters student and was told my status by my department, but I haven’t received any official emails from SSHRC or status changes at all. 

At least we’ll all know soon! 

Was told by my uni that research portal will be updated on April 2nd instead of 1st because apparently, April 1st is a 'weekend' :wacko: ...  It's odd cause last year, April 1st was on a Saturday, and the result was updated then. 

Edited by Papaya

21 hours ago, Papaya said:

Was told by my uni that research portal will be updated on April 2nd instead of 1st because apparently, April 1st is a 'weekend' :wacko: ...  It's odd cause last year, April 1st was on a Saturday, and the result was updated then. 

Maybe because April 1st is Easter and that’s probably a statutory holiday... but who knows. 

23 hours ago, healthpsych said:

Maybe because April 1st is Easter and that’s probably a statutory holiday... but who knows. 

You would think that they would know that well in advance. I think it would still be in effect April 1st cause all schools would have needed to report by then and I'm pretty sure the reveal is automatic.

1 hour ago, Sasha_Grad said:

You would think that they would know that well in advance. I think it would still be in effect April 1st cause all schools would have needed to report by then and I'm pretty sure the reveal is automatic.

exactly lol

Past winner here, just want to clear up confusion about the status changes.

On the portal, beside the current status of your application is the field "updated." That date will initially be whatever date you submitted your application, causing the status to change to "received by administrator." Schools have to upload the results and change your status on the portal, and when they do so, that causes the "updated" field to change to the date they input your result. They typically do it in the last week or so of March, because the result needs to be entered for the automatic update at midnight, April 1st (I'm not sure about the stat holiday impact; it logically shouldn't change anything because it is automatically set and, like said above, last year it was on the weekend too and changed no problem).

If you were deemed eligible for the award, when they enter your updated status, the date will change, but the status will remain as "received by administrator." However, if you were deemed ineligible, usually for not having the sufficient GPA standing, then your status will change immediately to "Ineligible," so you'll be able to see if as soon as you log on.

Basically, if you get an email saying your status has been updated, but when you look your status remains unchanged by the "updated" date has changed, then congrats, you're still in the running. It doesn't tell you anything about whether you were offered the award, waitlisted, or rejected, but it does mean that you met the eligibility threshold and were at least considered. So then it's just waiting until this weekend to find out.

Good luck to everyone! I really hope you all get awards! I applied not thinking I would get it, but then was happily surprised last year. So good luck, and expect to have to be patient with the portal because it will crash repeatedly as everyone tries to log on.

Hello everyone, 

Just an update to my previous post.

So I spoke to the person that oversees the SSHRC-M in my uni. The admin confirmed that the result will be out on April 1st 12 AM regardless the statutory holiday. They will update everything by Friday which will go live at 12 AM on Sunday. 

They also told me that if you are deemed ineligible, you'll be receiving an email regarding the status update and your status will be changed before April 1 to e.g. "Ineligible (first class average)" (depending on how fast your uni updates the result on the system). All other updates other than being ineligible will be updated on April 1st (Offered, alternate, etc).

Good luck everyone!! 4 MORE DAYS(ish)! :D 

What's the chance of being offered an award Vs. being placed on the alternate list if you receive a letter stating you are ranked highly in the departmental and school level? Any thoughts?,--or is this just a formality referring that you are not deemed 'ineligible'? 

1 hour ago, venuswithabook said:

Anybody else get an email from them today about when the results will be posted? They cleared up the confusion RE the Sunday being the result date. Basically, they will be available at 12 AM on the 1st. 

I got that email this morning as well. 

I guess some schools and awards admins were confused about the release date, good that they cleared that out!

3 more sleeps! 

1 hour ago, BriannaKarri said:

I am so anxious!!! I had to make a decision about which grad school I was going to before the results came out. Now I am terrified that if I get a SSHRC, it will be for a school that I turned down.

This is the exact same boat that I'm in and I will be a basket case if it turns out I made the wrong decision about where to go! I was so angry all my acceptance deadlines were 2 weeks ago.

Edited by LindsaysFriend

9 minutes ago, LindsaysFriend said:

This is the exact same boat that I'm in and I will be a basket case if it turns out I made the wrong decision about where to go! I was so angry all my acceptance deadlines were 2 weeks ago.

I was in the same situation, but was lucky that the school I chose had offered me SSHRC. But I was concerned for those same reasons. It's something that definetly needs to change...

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I was in the same situation, but was lucky that the school I chose had offered me SSHRC. But I was concerned for those same reasons. It's something that definetly needs to change...

that process is actually new

it used to be you win it and take it wherever