Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to start a forum on those waiting for admission to Fall 2018 University of Michigan School of Information Master's program! Here is a space for you to discuss your worries, get information from others applying, and ask about acceptances/denials. We're all in the same boat!

UMSI '18!!

Hi,

I'm so happy that you created this thread! I applied to Umich MSI in December, but haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully the result will come out soon! Anyone got their results yet?  Btw, my background is in film production. :) 

Edited by cywa

I applied back in ~October. I asked admissions and they said around 6-8 weeks from the January 15th deadline, so we should start hearing back in the next few weeks, I hope! My background is in Psychology and Social Work, and not necessarily technology... I hope that won't hurt my application ?

4 hours ago, AspiringMSW/MSI said:

I applied back in ~October. I asked admissions and they said around 6-8 weeks from the January 15th deadline, so we should start hearing back in the next few weeks, I hope! My background is in Psychology and Social Work, and not necessarily technology... I hope that won't hurt my application ?

I think Psychology and Social Work is a good combination! Are you gonna focus on HCI? It seems like they take students from diverse backgrounds, so don't worry! 

21 hours ago, cywa said:

I think Psychology and Social Work is a good combination! Are you gonna focus on HCI? It seems like they take students from diverse backgrounds, so don't worry! 

That makes me feel a little better ^_^ I am sort of focusing on HCI, but it's more like UX/UI. I'll be very social- and accessibility-focused, though, because of my background in Psych/SW.

In other news, I was looking at the UMSI site today and saw this: https://www.si.umich.edu/news-events/events/msi-visiting-days-event-admitted-students

Anyone think we'll get to have this ??

On 2/22/2018 at 9:10 AM, AspiringMSW/MSI said:

That makes me feel a little better ^_^ I am sort of focusing on HCI, but it's more like UX/UI. I'll be very social- and accessibility-focused, though, because of my background in Psych/SW.

In other news, I was looking at the UMSI site today and saw this: https://www.si.umich.edu/news-events/events/msi-visiting-days-event-admitted-students

Anyone think we'll get to have this ??

I'd assume they do this every year!

So I'm currently a master's student at U of M in other department and one of my friends from UMSI told me that the result will be out by either this week or next week. 

Waiting is so much pain, hope we can hear back from them ASAP. 

If you guys have any question, I can ask my friend, and he might has some clue. 

On 2/25/2018 at 2:14 AM, YCK said:

So I'm currently a master's student at U of M in other department and one of my friends from UMSI told me that the result will be out by either this week or next week. 

Waiting is so much pain, hope we can hear back from them ASAP. 

If you guys have any question, I can ask my friend, and he might has some clue. 

I'm dying right now....

The wait is horrible....

Does your friend know when the financial aid statements will come out? Although the decision is the first step, financial aid will also be a huge factor for many of us. 

14 minutes ago, YCK said:

Did anyone hear back from admission committee? I just saw some guys received their results today.

Which program of School of Information did you apply? (HCI, Data analysis, or others)

I received the email about 2 hours ago. I specified HCI in my application. Got accepted! I think more results will come out in the next few days!

Congrats!! 

I did not hear back from them yet... One thing that is different is that I specified Data Analysis instead HCI. 

When did you receive the mail that confirms your application? Can I ask you what was your numbers for GRE and GPA? Also, are you going to accept the admission offer? 

Edited by YCK

3 minutes ago, YCK said:

I think most of the results will be out by next week. 

I am just worrying if the people who got their results today are considered as the first admission round and I am not one of them. 

One of my friend submitted few days later than me and got ad today. I'm worried if they will send out rej next week. The whole weekend waiting is torture.