Vanier 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

As an aside, Vanier prioritizes leadership skills as well, and a lot of academics fall short on that end. I know (second hand) of a person in the Humanities who received a Vanier because of her public outreach despite not being competitive for regular SSHRC CGS because of a lack of research output.

Every school has different allocations as well. Clearly Waterloo's applicant pool were strong on the research end, but you have to look at your own institution's applicants as well.

Edited by Oshawott

1 hour ago, slp_throwaway said:

They did a panel at U of A and one of the previous winners said he had no publications and won (SSHRC)! So there's hope. Plus that's an average, AND that's only 30% of your score.

is there a video/recording of that panel?

thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, Oshawott said:

As an aside, Vanier prioritizes leadership skills as well, and a lot of academics fall short on that end. I know (second hand) of a person in the Humanities who received a Vanier because of her public outreach despite not being competitive for regular SSHRC CGS because of a lack of research output.

Every school has different allocations as well. Clearly Waterloo's applicant pool were strong on the research end, but you have to look at your own institution's applicants as well.

I have taken up a lot of leadership positions in the past. I think I have a good file for Vanier. I'm gonna apply. I've got nothing to lose! 

There were some people from my school who barely had publications, if any. I believe leadership, research proposal, and research potential are all weighted equally for Vanier.  You just have to hope you don't get a failing mark on research potential (which is graded based on referee letters, publications, research activity, conferences, etc.).

Research potential is not just based on your publications, although I am sure that counts for a lot. If you've presented at conferences, that counts. If you have manuscripts that are being worked on, that somewhat counts. Your MA thesis could count if your supervisor talks about your potential for doing research for your thesis. I've done a number of guest lectures and have done an invited talk, which I believe counts towards that too. Involvement in research assistantships also counts for something.

I am trying not to panic about the lack of publications. There's a lot of variables I'm sure. The next two weeks is going to be brutal for my psyche, lol.

For those applying for the next school year, work on your application, and work on getting nominated if possible!

I just have a quick question. I see that we have to provide a Lay title and a different Title for the research proposal. If my title for my research proposal is fairly simple, can I use the same for both? 

9 hours ago, CrazyPugLady said:

There were some people from my school who barely had publications, if any. I believe leadership, research proposal, and research potential are all weighted equally for Vanier.  You just have to hope you don't get a failing mark on research potential (which is graded based on referee letters, publications, research activity, conferences, etc.).

Research potential is not just based on your publications, although I am sure that counts for a lot. If you've presented at conferences, that counts. If you have manuscripts that are being worked on, that somewhat counts. Your MA thesis could count if your supervisor talks about your potential for doing research for your thesis. I've done a number of guest lectures and have done an invited talk, which I believe counts towards that too. Involvement in research assistantships also counts for something.

I am trying not to panic about the lack of publications. There's a lot of variables I'm sure. The next two weeks is going to be brutal for my psyche, lol.

For those applying for the next school year, work on your application, and work on getting nominated if possible!

How did you list manuscripts that you're working on? I kept trying to find a way to work them in but had a hard time. I'm curious to know for next year anyways!

5 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I just have a quick question. I see that we have to provide a Lay title and a different Title for the research proposal. If my title for my research proposal is fairly simple, can I use the same for both? 

sure you can use the same 

I find that link to the Waterloo page really interesting (and possibly incorrect or misleading), since there is actually no spot on the Vanier application to list that many pubs... On the application, you are instructed to only include 5, so I only included one of each type (e.g. article, conference presentation, poster presentation). How about you guys? Where were you able to include all that info? I'm guessing the Waterloo page is including current stats for Vanier winners, meaning, they may not have had this many pubs when they applied. My two cents.

Edited by Gradstudentforlife

2 hours ago, Gradstudentforlife said:

I find that link to the Waterloo page really interesting (and possibly incorrect or misleading), since there is actually no spot on the Vanier application to list that many pubs... On the application, you are instructed to only include 5, so I only included one of each type (e.g. article, conference presentation, poster presentation). How about you guys? Where were you able to include all that info? I'm guessing the Waterloo page is including current stats for Vanier winners, meaning, they may not have had this many pubs when they applied. My two cents.

Hello, yeah, I do believe it is a bit misleading. It's good when a master's student has publications, but I do believe that it's more rare, at least in my field. I'd say that it's something that's a lot more expected at the PhD level. I will have two submitted publications (not necessarily accepted) by the end of the deadline for those scholarships because I've worked with two different professors on two different projects, but I don't think that's the norm and I certainely do not think it's something that is expected for those scholarships... 

16 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello, yeah, I do believe it is a bit misleading. It's good when a master's student has publications, but I do believe that it's more rare, at least in my field. I'd say that it's something that's a lot more expected at the PhD level. I will have two submitted publications (not necessarily accepted) by the end of the deadline for those scholarships because I've worked with two different professors on two different projects, but I don't think that's the norm and I certainely do not think it's something that is expected for those scholarships... 

You can list them on your CCV!

20 hours ago, Gradstudentforlife said:

Thanks for the reassurance :)

• 1 month later...

FYI, my department sent an email saying the following:

"Please note that the new application forms and guidelines will not be made available by the Tri-Council until mid-August 2018."

Last year, the new instructions were made available on June 15, so that's weird. Also, mid-August is very late...

Edited by PsychBoy

4 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

"Please note that the new application forms and guidelines will not be made available by the Tri-Council until mid-August 2018."

Last year, the new instructions were made available on June 15, so that's weird. Also, mid-August is very late...

Wow, for real? Yeah, it was June in the past. That's extremely late. Unless they don't change their guidelines at all? 

Edited by Adelaide9216

I mean, it's not too early to start. You can look at the previous year's guidelines and start drafting your research proposal and leadership statement. Trust me. The more time you spend refining it, the better. Do not be like other people who start at the very last minute. You're going to want all the time and help you can get (people to proofread and edit your proposal)! I started two months in advance -- the result was that my proposal was "good" as I think research potential counts for the proposal (I scored 6.75) ... you will be less stressed out and you will have a foundation from which you can craft your SSHRC and provincial funding agency applications!!!

Anyway, good luck to the people applying this period. I am still waiting on my SSHRC Doctoral. If I don't get that I have to convince my department to nominate me again (which I've never done before, lol) and then go from there.

@CrazyPugLady you are absolutely right, and yes, I have started working on my application! (I have three applications for scholarships on top of my Ph.D. application so it's better that I start early).

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 10:51 AM, PsychBoy said:

UofOttawa doesn't have that information yet, I've asked them.

Hi everyone, 

I'm an international student, planning to start PhD in 2019 Fall. I'm planning to apply to Vanier Scholarship. I just wanted to get an idea of success rates of international students with this scholarship. I understand that it is extremely competitive. Is there are quota or are all applicants (domestic and international) treated the same? Any pointers are appreciated. 

15 hours ago, Shinhan said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm an international student, planning to start PhD in 2019 Fall. I'm planning to apply to Vanier Scholarship. I just wanted to get an idea of success rates of international students with this scholarship. I understand that it is extremely competitive. Is there are quota or are all applicants (domestic and international) treated the same? Any pointers are appreciated. 

Hello! I know Vanier definetely wants more international applicants and winners of this scholarship!

• 2 weeks later...