Vanier 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

5 minutes ago, CrazyPugLady said:

Ugh, the process at my institution is SO annoying. ?

Departments can only nominate one candidate and they must not have completed 20 months of their doctoral studies by May 2019. I qualify despite being 2nd year PhD. Since I got nominated last year, the chances of my department renominating me is in the air. I had conversations with the grad chair and the department chair who gave me diplomatic but canned responses of, "you are such a strong candidate, you should be happy being waitlisted for Vanier! Not many people make it that far!" and then telling me because of my performance in the Vanier competition, I would be a strong candidate for the SSHRC Doctoral CGS. I also get bulls*it responses about how not everyone gets their SSHRC in their first and second year as if that's a consolation prize. In any case I do not agree with at all because I scored pretty high in Vanier and basically failed the rankings on the SSHRC Doctoral. It's like comparing apples to oranges - the Vanier is based on community involvement and leadership much more than SSHRC, which seems to be purely academic. So this is pissing me off.

They sent calls for nominations I believe and I got two faculty members to put my name in. But it is still in the air. By the time we find out who is nominated it'll be late-August to early-September which is what f*cked me over last year giving me a month to prepare to submit an application! If I had known publications counted for that much I wish I knew before September so I could have at least made a manuscript to submit to a journal. Sigh.

Do I seem bitter about it, yes I am, because I was so close and now due to stupid politics at my institution, I may not have a chance at Vanier again even though I made many strides into improving my application for next season, such as actually submitting stuff to journals and doing high-level conference panel talks.

so you only start the application after knowing you are nominated by your department? does that guarantee national nomination?

4 minutes ago, PsychBoy said:

so you only start the application after knowing you are nominated by your department? does that guarantee national nomination?

No. It does NOT guarantee national nomination. ONE candidate per department is nominated, gets forwarded to the graduate awards committee for the entire institution, there they decide which applications go national.

The process at my school is stupidly convoluted and thinking about it is making me upset hahaha 

1 hour ago, CrazyPugLady said:

No. It does NOT guarantee national nomination. ONE candidate per department is nominated, gets forwarded to the graduate awards committee for the entire institution, there they decide which applications go national.

The process at my school is stupidly convoluted and thinking about it is making me upset hahaha 

well in my department, everyone interested completes the application and THEN they select ONE person. (Then the institution chooses national nominations). So a lot of time can be wasted on an application to be rejected at the departmental level...

Edited by PsychBoy

1 hour ago, PsychBoy said:

That's strange, in my case, anyone interested can apply and then the departement/institution select best applicants. 

39 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

That's strange, in my case, anyone interested can apply and then the departement/institution select best applicants. 

I wish that were the case, I'm literally having anxiety and bouts of depression because of the uncertainty. My department is not giving me any answers either. It is a simple yes or no. I'd obviously be upset if it were a no, but at least I don't have to have this weighing in my head.

That system is a lot better than what we have.

At least we don't waste time preparing an application at the department level. Basically if you are nominated, it's a green light to prepare an application.

6 minutes ago, CrazyPugLady said:

I wish that were the case, I'm literally having anxiety and bouts of depression because of the uncertainty. My department is not giving me any answers either. It is a simple yes or no. I'd obviously be upset if it were a no, but at least I don't have to have this weighing in my head.

That system is a lot better than what we have.

At least we don't waste time preparing an application at the department level. Basically if you are nominated, it's a green light to prepare an application.

:( I hope you'll still have a chance to apply and be successful! 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm debating whether or not I should apply to OGS and FRQSC but I feel like asking my academic refeeres to write me 5 scholarships reference letters in total (I am applying to Vanier, Trudeau & SSHRC) is too much to ask out of them.

Edited by Adelaide9216

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I'm debating whether or not I should apply to OGS and FRQSC but I feel like asking my academic refeeres to write me 5 scholarships reference letters in total (I am applying to Vanier, Trudeau & SSHRC) is too much to ask out of them.

Congrats on finishing the Vanier so early! I would also apply to OGS and FRQSC: your referees will just copy the letter they have already prepared and edit it as needed to fit the space requirements for the respective awards. 

On 8/5/2018 at 8:44 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

omg yes apply 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

My supervisor said I should apply to any scholarships I am eligible for. If I can't accept the ones that I get, I can put them in my CV with the "declined" mention in them. She also said that I could write portions of my LOR to help her out with this task.

:)

Sounds like an excellent supervisor!

So, I am only missing two LOR and there are 11 days left to the institutional deadline of uOttawa :( I'll be away in another country until the deadline. When is it reasonable to email the profs about this? I had asked them to submit their letters this week :(

4 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

So, I am only missing two LOR and there are 11 days left to the institutional deadline of uOttawa :( I'll be away in another country until the deadline. When is it reasonable to email the profs about this? I had asked them to submit their letters this week :(

is it the academic letters or leadership ones? will you have access to your laptop/internet during your trip?

56 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Academic! And yes! 

Academic letters they can upload themselves so it's not a big deal to wait. Also, you can remind them a bit later given that you have internet. 

But don't hesitate to send (useful) reminders when you think it's appropriate. 

Edited by PsychBoy

22 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Ok, 6 days left and still nothing. I'll send a reminder when there is three days left. Those LOR are pretty lengthy, I don't think it's something that can be done the day before..

One of my academic referees wrote her letter in one hour the day before the deadline. 

I sent them the reminder through ResearchNet. If in two days, the letters are still not there, I'll send them another reminder by email. I've been working on my application since early 2018 :( I can't miss the boat because of them. 

Ok, so one of my academic referee said she would write the letter tomorrow. I'm reassured because she was the one I was the most worried about! The other one has not gotten back to me yet, but she is my master's supervisor, so I'm sure it'll be fine. Yes!