Vanier 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

2 hours ago, gradschool__throwaway said:

Has anyone else elected to list publications they have that are under review, even though they said not to? 

not in the ccv but I did in the research contributions text

11 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Do you think we'll get an email even if we don't get selected? I should have the answer to the internal review process by October 19. 

my university tells candidates who gets sent to Ottawa versus not 

they'll tell you :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2018 at 12:10 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I will know on the 19 if I made it to the national competition. What about you all?

my friend learned today she got forwarded 

Edited by PsychBoy

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

For this year’s applicants, did you get any news so far from the internal selection process of your university? I will know if I made it to Ottawa tomorrow...

omg exciting - keep us posted today

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Long time to speak everyone!

I got forwarded to Ottawa and my application is under peer review. I forget what the next step is, I guess I'm so traumatized by last year, lol. Do we know at this point if our applications don't make through the binning process? It's killing me I have to wait until April again for this torture.

I really beefed up my application. Have a forthcoming academic publication this month, I presented two papers at International Sociological Association, did invited talks about my research in colloquiums and radio, and I won OGS. Compared to last year's application, this is strong. But it is a crapshoot. At least if I don't win again and get waitlisted AGAIN this year, I can say at least I did everything in my power. Last year I was filled with regrets because I had no grant awards, no publications, and only minor conference activity.

Good luck to everyone.

1 hour ago, high_hopes said:

Good luck, @CrazyPugLady! I think you have to wait until April now for results. :( However, it sounds like you have a good chance--congratulations on all you have accomplished in the last year!

I'm so burned out. I really tried my best. I think getting waitlisted truly had a negative impact on my confidence, and subsequently, my performance. I am just not as motivated (ironically enough), as I was the first year I applied for Vanier. I was so confident last year it was a huge kick in the ego. I really hope this year is the year, but who knows. I'm gonna set my expectations low.

It'd be nice because I am miserable in my current job and would love to devote my full time to doing my PhD.