Vanier 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

3 minutes ago, immunity said:

Also, if I remember correctly from an information session by CIHR, every section is scored equally and then the average of the three is taken. Depending on that score, you are placed into three bins: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and you’d want to be in the upper middle-top bin to get it. So feasibly if you kill leadership and academic potential, it could make up for academic excellence. 

I think I will be okay for Academic Excellence and Leadership. I have good grades, won a lot of scholarships in the past years and have a lot of extracurricular activities. But Research Potential is what scares me. I read that you need to have a score of 3.1 out of 9 for each criteria in order to be recommended for funding. I have participated in conferences and worked as a RA for multiple professors, and I have included that in my CCV. but my only "true" academic publication that I have is a book review right now. I'm working on publications at the moment, but I was not ready to include them in my CCV last Fall. :( 

Edited by Adelaide9216

9 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I think my confidence went down because I did not get forwarded for the Trudeau scholarship at my uni. I expected that the process would be harder for Trudeau, but since I was forwarded for Vanier, I thought I would also be forwarded for Trudeau. I will try again for Trudeau next year though. But if I don't get Vanier this time, and I get a smaller scholarship, I won't have any choice than accepting the smaller scholarship in order to live. I am moving out of town to pursue my PhD so I need money. But if I accept FRQSC or SSHRC or OGS this year, that makes me not eliglble for Vanier.

That really sucks! Does your program offer a minimum funding package?

9 minutes ago, immunity said:

Also, if I remember correctly from an information session by CIHR, every section is scored equally and then the average of the three is taken. Depending on that score, you are placed into three bins: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and you’d want to be in the upper middle-top bin to get it. So feasibly if you kill leadership and academic potential, it could make up for academic excellence. 

@immunity I'm also scared because I am not in my PhD program yet. I have 0 months of PhD studies. So I had to think about my entire research project while I was still writing my master's thesis. I think I began working/thinking about my application in January 2018. :( And in the summer, I did multiple drafts because I know I'm not as strong as an applicant than someone who is a 3rd year PhD student. Plus, what makes me insecure is that another student in my department with the same supervisor also got forwarded. :(

2 minutes ago, immunity said:

That really sucks! Does your program offer a minimum funding package?

Yes. . I got an excellence scholarship which covers for my tuition for four years (12 semesters) and I got OGS so far (5000$ per semester) (learned the news a few days ago). I also have a guaranteed TA or RA.

Edited by Adelaide9216

7 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I think I will be okay for Academic Excellence and Leadership. I have good grades, won a lot of scholarships in the past years and have a lot of extracurricular activities. But Research Potential is what scares me. I read that you need to have a score of 3.1 out of 9 for each criteria in order to be recommended for funding. I have participated in conferences and worked as a RA for multiple professors, and I have included that in my CCV. but my only "true" academic publication that I have is a book review right now. I'm working on publications at the moment, but I was not ready to include them in my CCV last Fall. :( 

Oh geez I didn't know it was 3.1. From what I observed, we had to have an average greater than like 6.1 to be funded. Hmm I think as long as you show that you have the potential to be productive, it should be fine! For me, I find it hard to judge whether my ECs are good or not....plus my grades were horrible during junior undergrad, but then I killed my senior years and PhD and also won a bunch of awards. So who knows how they will judge that...

Just now, immunity said:

Oh geez I didn't know it was 3.1. From what I observed, we had to have an average greater than like 6.1 to be funded. Hmm I think as long as you show that you have the potential to be productive, it should be fine! For me, I find it hard to judge whether my ECs are good or not....plus my grades were horrible during junior undergrad, but then I killed my senior years and PhD and also won a bunch of awards. So who knows how they will judge that...

Yes, I totally relate to that. Good luck to you too :)

What is your research topic out of curiosity? 

2 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

@immunity I'm also scared because I am not in my PhD program yet. I have 0 months of PhD studies. So I had to think about my entire research project while I was still writing my master's thesis. I think I began working/thinking about my application in January 2018. :( And in the summer, I did multiple drafts because I know I'm not as strong as an applicant than someone who is a 3rd year PhD student. Plus, what makes me insecure is that another student in my department with the same supervisor also got forwarded. :(

That's crazy! The good thing is that you're going to be set for your PhD project ? my boss told me he wanted me to apply in August so I started in August...needless to say, that was rough af... it seems pretty rare for students from the same department to be forwarded! You will both be judged individually though so I think you shouldn't worry too much about that!

3 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Yes. . I got an excellence scholarship which covers for my tuition for four years (12 semesters) and I got OGS so far (5000$ per semester) (learned the news a few days ago). I also have a guaranteed TA or RA.

Congratulations!! That must've been a big relief! 

Just now, immunity said:

That's crazy! The good thing is that you're going to be set for your PhD project ? my boss told me he wanted me to apply in August so I started in August...needless to say, that was rough af... it seems pretty rare for students from the same department to be forwarded! You will both be judged individually though so I think you shouldn't worry too much about that!

Yes, it's such a huge application. I understand that it was a lot of work! Thanks for your kind words :)

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I emailed the Vanier coordinator of my uni, he said that results are expected at the end of March/early April but that it may be possible that results become available earlier than that.

Oh god now there's even more uncertainty ? I guess i'll be checking ResearchNet even more frequently!

7 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I emailed the Vanier coordinator of my uni, he said that results are expected at the end of March/early April but that it may be possible that results become available earlier than that.

This is making me even more impatient. Don't know how I am going to survive this month. The uncertainty is affecting my sleep. At this point, I could digest Vanier rejection better than this horrible anticipation. 

On 3/3/2019 at 11:02 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

I think my confidence went down because I did not get forwarded for the Trudeau scholarship at my uni. I expected that the process would be harder for Trudeau, but since I was forwarded for Vanier, I thought I would also be forwarded for Trudeau. I will try again for Trudeau next year though. But if I don't get Vanier this time, and I get a smaller scholarship, I won't have any choice than accepting the smaller scholarship in order to live. I am moving out of town to pursue my PhD so I need money. But if I accept FRQSC or SSHRC or OGS this year, that makes me not eliglble for Vanier.

If you get FRQSC or OGS you are still eligible to reapply for the Vanier. If you get SSHRC, then no.

3 hours ago, TBay said:

I'm so ready to join the group.  I can't wait for the date of decision to be posted. 

Add me to the list!

I feel like there is so much riding on the tricouncil funding. It will be the deciding factor between my finishing quickly to salvage my PhD, or being an excellent scholar. It is my last year for eligibility and my household with dependents cannot afford my lack of funding anymore  :(  Last year I was waitlisted, so close but so far. 

1 hour ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I hope they release results next week. :( I prefer knowing that I didn't get it instead of waiting so long for an answer. 

I agree. But I still have a feeling that they'll end up releasing them a few days after April 4th....

1 hour ago, TBay said:

I would even settle for movement on the application status at this point.  It can't still be in peer review.  Do universities get notification before applicants? 

Can someone email them? I already did a few weeks ago but they did not give me an exact date.

Edited by Adelaide9216