Jump to content

Vanier 2018-2019


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

About last year, to make things clear:  - We were supposed to know on March 30 and then the Vanier website said "early April". The results came out on April 5 around lunchtime.  - We got an

I GOT VANIER!!! OMG!!! 😮    

I agree. But I still have a feeling that they'll end up releasing them a few days after April 4th....

Wow. So many (complete) strangers trying to discourage me from pursuing a PhD. Total strangers, people I have barely spoke to. (The word got around that I have been accepted in a PhD). It just pushes me to prove them wrong. Nobody in my family, friends, colleagues and supervisors (current and futur) doubt of my abilities (personal and intellectual) to succeed in a doctoral program. And if I do get Vanier, hell yeah I'll tell these people that I got the most prestigious doctoral scholarship in the country. 

People seem to think that just because I am young, been raised by a single mother, etc, that I can't succeed. F*ck them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Wow. So many (complete) strangers trying to discourage me from pursuing a PhD. Total strangers, people I have barely spoke to. (The word got around that I have been accepted in a PhD). It just pushes me to prove them wrong. Nobody in my family, friends, colleagues and supervisors (current and futur) doubt of my abilities (personal and intellectual) to succeed in a doctoral program. And if I do get Vanier, hell yeah I'll tell these people that I got the most prestigious doctoral scholarship in the country. 

People seem to think that just because I am young, been raised by a single mother, etc, that I can't succeed. F*ck them.

Follow your heart.  If you have gotten this far and even been nominated for Vanier and SSHRC, then you are very likely to succeed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

If you look for Archived Opportunities, and find the 2018-2019 Vanier competition, it says results will be announced on April 4th. I hope it'll be before that...

What sucks is that historically they seem to release results later than the posted anticipated date...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

One month of waiting :(

Going to be torture! Hard to not neurotically check ResearchNet 😂 Hoping for the best for everyone! Been trying to compare how my application holds up against previous Vanier winners. I don’t recommend it 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, immunity said:

Going to be torture! Hard to not neurotically check ResearchNet 😂 Hoping for the best for everyone! Been trying to compare how my application holds up against previous Vanier winners. I don’t recommend it 😂

Omg, I totally relate. I've been doing both! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, immunity said:

Going to be torture! Hard to not neurotically check ResearchNet 😂 Hoping for the best for everyone! Been trying to compare how my application holds up against previous Vanier winners. I don’t recommend it 😂

@immunity, I am assuming you've applied to CIHR Vanier? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

@immunity, I am assuming you've applied to CIHR Vanier? 

So glad to know I’m not the only one! And yup, CIHR. Doesn’t seem like CIHR people are very active in this forum. Thanks for starting this thread btw!

I’ve also looked back at the previous years’ threads and it looks like this entire thing is one big crapshoot...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, immunity said:

So glad to know I’m not the only one! And yup, CIHR. Doesn’t seem like CIHR people are very active in this forum. Thanks for starting this thread btw!

I’ve also looked back at the previous years’ threads and it looks like this entire thing is one big crapshoot...

@immunity, yeah, according to applicants from previous years, the thing is pretty subjective :( I wish I could get Vanier though. I have moments where I feel confident that I'll get it, and other moments where I get insecure. I think the only part where I am not as strong as others is first-authored publications. But I applied as a master's student, so I guess it is expected that at my stage (and in my field), I won't have as many publications. I have heard of people who got Vanier without any publications, so it's a bit reassuring. The waiting is killing me. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

@immunity, yeah, according to applicants from previous years, the thing is pretty subjective :( I wish I could get Vanier though. I have moments where I feel confident that I'll get it, and other moments where I get insecure. I think the only part where I am not as strong as others is first-authored publications. But I applied as a master's student, so I guess it is expected that at my stage (and in my field), I won't have as many publications. I have heard of people who got Vanier without any publications, so it's a bit reassuring. The waiting is killing me. :(

Stay strong! 🙂 just one more month. I hope you can get it too. The funny thing for me is as time passes, I get less and less confident. If I had known my boss wanted me to apply for Vanier, I would’ve prepared much better! Too bad this is my first and last try at this...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

@immunity, yeah, according to applicants from previous years, the thing is pretty subjective :( I wish I could get Vanier though. I have moments where I feel confident that I'll get it, and other moments where I get insecure. I think the only part where I am not as strong as others is first-authored publications. But I applied as a master's student, so I guess it is expected that at my stage (and in my field), I won't have as many publications. I have heard of people who got Vanier without any publications, so it's a bit reassuring. The waiting is killing me. :(

Also, if I remember correctly from an information session by CIHR, every section is scored equally and then the average of the three is taken. Depending on that score, you are placed into three bins: 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 and you’d want to be in the upper middle-top bin to get it. So feasibly if you kill leadership and academic potential, it could make up for academic excellence. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, immunity said:

Stay strong! 🙂 just one more month. I hope you can get it too. The funny thing for me is as time passes, I get less and less confident. If I had known my boss wanted me to apply for Vanier, I would’ve prepared much better! Too bad this is my first and last try at this...

I think my confidence went down because I did not get forwarded for the Trudeau scholarship at my uni. I expected that the process would be harder for Trudeau, but since I was forwarded for Vanier, I thought I would also be forwarded for Trudeau. I will try again for Trudeau next year though. But if I don't get Vanier this time, and I get a smaller scholarship, I won't have any choice than accepting the smaller scholarship in order to live. I am moving out of town to pursue my PhD so I need money. But if I accept FRQSC or SSHRC or OGS this year, that makes me not eliglble for Vanier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.