PHILOSOPHY M.A. ACCEPTANCE/REJECTION 2018

buffystrong

Heya, folks.

I've been lurking for a couple weeks, but I couldn't seem to find a 2018 acceptance/rejection thread specifically for Philosophy M.A. applicants, so I figured I'd start one myself.

I applied to four programs: NIU, UW-Milwaukee, Virginia Tech, and Western Michigan. I was admitted to NIU early this month--2/7, I want to say?--but am still awaiting news on funding. I've not yet heard back from any of my other three programs, but, of course, the deadlines for those applications have only recently passed, so I imagine I'll be waiting some time yet...

Any others admitted to NIU? 

I was accepted to UW-Milwaukee. They notified me early because they nominated me for a fellowship. The coordinator at SF State indicated in mid-January that I should hear back in the next few weeks, so I expect something from them any day now.

30 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

I was accepted to UW-Milwaukee. They notified me early because they nominated me for a fellowship. The coordinator at SF State indicated in mid-January that I should hear back in the next few weeks, so I expect something from them any day now.

Conrgrats! I visited UW-Milwaukee in December and was totally charmed by the department.The folks there are, in addition to being first-rate philosophers, quite warm and friendly, so I'm sure you would be very happy there, if you did decide to accept...

19 minutes ago, buffystrong said:

Conrgrats! I visited UW-Milwaukee in December and was totally charmed by the department.The folks there are, in addition to being first-rate philosophers, quite warm and friendly, so I'm sure you would be very happy there, if you did decide to accept...

Thanks! That's very good to know. I'm not sure if I will be able to visit, they didn't mention visiting the department and my finances are pretty tight right now, but it's nice to hear that they're friendly even when they're not trying to woo you.

10 minutes ago, PhiloStorian said:

Thanks! That's very good to know. I'm not sure if I will be able to visit, they didn't mention visiting the department and my finances are pretty tight right now, but it's nice to hear that they're friendly even when they're not trying to woo you.

I met with Bill Bristow and Bob Schwartz, and they were both all-around pleasant. They urged me to "keep Milwaukee in mind," which I thought was pretty amusing given that I had not actually applied yet, much less received an offer. Perhaps worth noting, however, is that I did get the impression that their stipend doesn't go a long way, which isn't surprising. The campus is in downtown Milwaukee, after all, and I don't think that they offer any kind of housing to grad students. Most of the students I met there were working other jobs to cover living expenses, but they all seemed happy and well-nourished and eager to sing the program's praises, so I guess it all balances out in some way or another ^_^

I've only heard from NIU. Also just yesterday I got offered a graduate assistantship, so it's probable that I'll be deciding on NIU regardless of any other offers, what with Tufts' often terrible funding. 

The other institutions I applied to are Tufts, Brandeis, GSU, UWM, WMU, VT, and the Oxford BPhil. 

Edited by downwardabsolute

Hey @PhiloStorian SFSU lets in just about anyone (which isn't a bad thing); if you're looking for funding ask and you'll get a TA-ship an/or a teaching position. That being the case, it's a welcoming and friendly department (if you hang with the right people). Not a bad choice if you're specifically looking for a very analytic program. If you're really into PhilSci that ISN'T cogsci-oriented, consider your other options. 

Source - know a person that knows a person.

10 hours ago, Spinozian said:

Hey @PhiloStorian SFSU lets in just about anyone (which isn't a bad thing); if you're looking for funding ask and you'll get a TA-ship an/or a teaching position. That being the case, it's a welcoming and friendly department (if you hang with the right people). Not a bad choice if you're specifically looking for a very analytic program. If you're really into PhilSci that ISN'T cogsci-oriented, consider your other options. 

Source - know a person that knows a person.

Thanks for the note. I mainly applied because van Fraassen is there and they have an excellent placement record. It doesn't seem to matter anymore, as I don't plan on attending unless their offer is too good to refuse.

On 2/23/2018 at 7:23 AM, PhiloStorian said:

Thanks for the note. I mainly applied because van Fraassen is there and they have an excellent placement record. It doesn't seem to matter anymore, as I don't plan on attending unless their offer is too good to refuse.

@PhiloStorian  Just a heads up, van Fraassen stopped taking students a while ago. He's more emeritus than not these days. That being the case there's other philsci people there that are good. But, if that's your only reason you're thinking SFSU you should know that. 

On 2/23/2018 at 10:23 AM, PhiloStorian said:

2 hours ago, Spinozian said:

@PhiloStorian  Just a heads up, van Fraassen stopped taking students a while ago. He's more emeritus than not these days. That being the case there's other philsci people there that are good. But, if that's your only reason you're thinking SFSU you should know that. 

Can confirm this. He no longer teaches or takes students. Hasn't for a little while now. 

Signed,
-Someone lucky enough to have him on their committee 

On 2/22/2018 at 3:43 PM, downwardabsolute said:

I've only heard from NIU. Also just yesterday I got offered a graduate assistantship, so it's probable that I'll be deciding on NIU regardless of any other offers, what with Tufts' often terrible funding. 

The other institutions I applied to are Tufts, Brandeis, GSU, UWM, WMU, VT, and the Oxford BPhil. 

Congrats on the assistantship offer!!! I didn't apply to either Tufts or Brandeis for that reason--the funding, or lack of funding, that is. At any rate, I hope you're very happy wherever you end up. Indeed, I hope we all are. 

13 minutes ago, buffystrong said:

@soproperlybasic it's you and me, in it to win it, homie lol (I also got the "high on the list" email from NIU).

Still awaiting news from UWM, VT, and Western Michigan! 

I hope we both get the assistantship! Right now, barring some miracle happening, looks like I'm headed to NIU! 

Would you take Western Michigan over NIU? 

5 minutes ago, soproperlybasic said:

I hope we both get the assistantship! Right now, barring some miracle happening, looks like I'm headed to NIU! 

Would you take Western Michigan over NIU? 

Me too!! And I think I would enroll in any program that offered me full funding, but, of course, I only applied to four programs, so I'm not exactly in a position to be super picky. Moreover, any of the four programs to which I applied would, I think, make a good fit for me and my research interests--in other words, I only applied to schools that I would ACTUALLY want to attend. In short, YES: I would absolutely choose Western Michigan over NIU if they made me a better offer. At this point, though, Milwaukee is my very first choice! What about you? In a perfect world, where would you go? 

51 minutes ago, buffystrong said:

Me too!! And I think I would enroll in any program that offered me full funding, but, of course, I only applied to four programs, so I'm not exactly in a position to be super picky. Moreover, any of the four programs to which I applied would, I think, make a good fit for me and my research interests--in other words, I only applied to schools that I would ACTUALLY want to attend. In short, YES: I would absolutely choose Western Michigan over NIU if they made me a better offer. At this point, though, Milwaukee is my very first choice! What about you? In a perfect world, where would you go? 

Western Michigan is great! But NIU has had a stellar placement record both in terms of this cycle (I've see lots of NIU grads getting into the top schools) and in past cycles, which is why I'm really hoping I can end up going there! Plus, Alicia Finch teaches there, and I do work on free will, which is a perfect fit. In an ideal world, I would go to Rutgers since I already hang out at their department weekly + know many of the grad students there! Notre Dame would have also been a great fit for me given the abundance of faculty in my areas of interest. Holding out a tiny bit of hope for Chapel Hill because they're also one of my top choices...but I know it's impossible...

Edited by soproperlybasic

@soproperlybasic oof, I do not feel in any way prepared for a PhD program! But good on ya. Certainly, if I did feel prepared for a PhD program, those would be among my top picks! But I got into the game a little late, and I, frankly, half-assed most of my undergraduate work. I didn't write a thesis, I haven't been published (at least, not in philosophy), I haven't attended any conferences, I haven't really done... like... anything lol. I regret that now, obviously, but it wasn't until I graduated that I realized philosophy was the only thing in this world really worth a damn to me. As it stands, the idea that I could or should be anything BUT a philosopher is sincerely laughable to me. I only wish I had realized sooner!

At any rate, you are so pleasant that I can't help but hope the best for you!! Keep me posted!

I'm anticipating a difficult decision between my generous PhD offer from Fordham and a probable MA offer from one of the typical schools (GSU, UWM, Western Michigan, Brandeis) which could potentially place me at a more prestigious program (Notre Dame, Rutgers, SLU).

Really, this gets at a bigger life problem. Do I pursue advanced research at a top-notch university? Or do I seek out "pluralistic" philosophical exposure and top-notch teacher development?

I take it that none of the schools I listed have sent out much, besides fellowship offers from UWM? That's comforting, I suppose... As a Wisconsin resident, I'd find an offer from them attractive indeed.