Jump to content
buffystrong

PHILOSOPHY M.A. ACCEPTANCE/REJECTION 2018

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Descartes blanche said:

Not yet, unfortunately. I'm stressing out over two funded offers and a close waitlist. All three schools are good in different ways but neither is good in all the ways I want them to be. School (a) is close to where I live, has just increased my funding offer to the best M.A. funding/cost of living ratio I've seen, but it doesn't happen to have the ideal program for my AOI along with an average placement record. School (b), which is the close waitlist school, has an ideal program for my AOI and a decent funding package, but a pretty bad placement record for some reason. And lastly, school (c) is pretty well suited for my AOI, has a decent placement record, but has the lowest funding of the three, and is located in a city that I don't care too much to live in. What would you do?

Option A imo. Money aspect will take a lot of pressure off of you. And being close to home is very helpful. Also, since it's an MA, you don't have to zero in on your AOIs this early. You can always explore your AOIs in a PhD. Plus, your AOIs can always change! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of which - just declined Tufts' offer, which should open up a spot to someone on the waitlist.

EDIT: Not completely certain about this, but I may also decline an offer from GSU, provided they make me an offer (I'm on the waitlist) - it might depend on the offer, so could be a last-minute decision. Sorry!

Edited by Kantattheairport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TomKatze said:

Why don't you go to Oxford? Tufts is better than Oxford?

It's seeming increasingly unlikely that I've gotten funding from Oxford, so I'll probably choose Tufts for that reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 8:54 PM, Descartes blanche said:

Not yet, unfortunately. I'm stressing out over two funded offers and a close waitlist. All three schools are good in different ways but neither is good in all the ways I want them to be. School (a) is close to where I live, has just increased my funding offer to the best M.A. funding/cost of living ratio I've seen, but it doesn't happen to have the ideal program for my AOI along with an average placement record. School (b), which is the close waitlist school, has an ideal program for my AOI and a decent funding package, but a pretty bad placement record for some reason. And lastly, school (c) is pretty well suited for my AOI, has a decent placement record, but has the lowest funding of the three, and is located in a city that I don't care too much to live in. What would you do?

 If B is CSU, and it’s absolutely a tie between the three, then I will tell you that I’m right behind you and that CSU is my best chance at something funded. I don’t of course expect you to not pick CSU on account of me.  If you need a true tiebreaker, then I figure giving the best birthday present ever is as good as any. No matter what you pick, I wish you an excellent academic journey!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi folks, I've a question for y'all. I have two offers, one from school A, a UK school that is quite strong in my AOIs, and another from B, a strong terminal MA program in North America with an excellent placement record (I just got off the waitlist there, so currently trying to decide between the two last minute). The UK school's placement record is allegedly excellent, but they don't track that kind of data, while the terminal MA has a proven track record. Financially, B is much safer, as it is funded and doesn't have exhorbitant tuition fees. A, otoh, is less safe but potentially much more exciting research-wise. I'm wondering if UK schools place well, if it's worth it, etc. etc. Any thoughts help, friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, RussellsPipe said:

Hi folks, I've a question for y'all. I have two offers, one from school A, a UK school that is quite strong in my AOIs, and another from B, a strong terminal MA program in North America with an excellent placement record (I just got off the waitlist there, so currently trying to decide between the two last minute). The UK school's placement record is allegedly excellent, but they don't track that kind of data, while the terminal MA has a proven track record. Financially, B is much safer, as it is funded and doesn't have exhorbitant tuition fees. A, otoh, is less safe but potentially much more exciting research-wise. I'm wondering if UK schools place well, if it's worth it, etc. etc. Any thoughts help, friends.

My advice? Take the offer from the US school. It's a bad idea to go to an unfunded MA in philosophy, especially when you have a funded offer elsewhere. Particularly when the funded program has a better placement record. Also, UK COL is significantly more expensive than the US.

AOI doesn't matter as much for an MA. Your interests will probably change anyway. MAs are also quick. It'll be over before you know it. UK programs are generally only a year, and that isn't really enough time to do research anyway.

Edited by hector549

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RussellsPipe said:

Hi folks, I've a question for y'all. I have two offers, one from school A, a UK school that is quite strong in my AOIs, and another from B, a strong terminal MA program in North America with an excellent placement record (I just got off the waitlist there, so currently trying to decide between the two last minute). The UK school's placement record is allegedly excellent, but they don't track that kind of data, while the terminal MA has a proven track record. Financially, B is much safer, as it is funded and doesn't have exhorbitant tuition fees. A, otoh, is less safe but potentially much more exciting research-wise. I'm wondering if UK schools place well, if it's worth it, etc. etc. Any thoughts help, friends.

I myself faced a decision between an MSt in phil theology at Oxford and the MA at Northern Illinois. While I think "don't go unless funded" rule is generally a good rule, I believe there are exceptions. For a number of factors I've decided to go for the MSt. DM if you wanna talk more!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

Declined WMU. Decided to take the Fordham PhD.

Looks like I'll be headed to Fordham too right now! So perhaps we'll meet. 

(Unless some miracle happens and LA Paul emails with good news from Chapel Hill tomorrow. Though the chances of that are pretty much .0001)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, incredulous_stare said:

I myself faced a decision between an MSt in phil theology at Oxford and the MA at Northern Illinois. While I think "don't go unless funded" rule is generally a good rule, I believe there are exceptions. For a number of factors I've decided to go for the MSt. DM if you wanna talk more!

Sure, a phil theology at oxford vs. a MA in philosophy is one reason to turn down a funded program. But for most people, headed into an academic field that may require living on $25,000 a year post-graduation until the unlikely academic job comes up, major debt would be a disaster. Small debt maybe one could wave. But certainly, it depends on a lot of factors. Not disagreeing with your post.

 

Edited by Neither Here Nor There

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neither Here Nor There said:

Sure, a phil theology at oxford vs. a MA in philosophy is one reason to turn down a funded program. But for most people, headed into an academic field that may require living on $25,000 a year post-graduation until the unlikely academic job comes up, major debt would be a disaster. Small debt maybe one could wave. But certainly, it depends on a lot of factors. Not disagreeing with your post.

 

Very true. Really is a case-by-case basis, though the offer that is funded will almost always be the more "safe" bet. However, I tend to consider factors involving back-up plans as well. We all know how hard the job market for philosophy is. So part of my thinking was "If I were go to Oxford and eventually pursue a non-academic career, then I would be much better off than if I had gone to a publicly unknown (though good reputation within phil) school for a terminal MA". Additionally, I thought Oxford would leave me better off (though maybe by not that much) with respect to getting a job in philosophy, which I want to maximize my chances for in any way I can (besides doing anything immoral).

This is a really interesting discussion though! I know that there may be some who disagree with my decision, even if they had all the information I have.

 

Edited by incredulous_stare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Kantattheairport said:

Hi, sorry, I forgot to respond to this - unfortunately not, so I won't be going anywhere this cycle.

Sorry to hear. :(

You gonna apply next year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2018 at 10:03 PM, Kantattheairport said:

Hi, sorry, I forgot to respond to this - unfortunately not, so I won't be going anywhere this cycle.

I hope that isn't getting you too down. The fact you got on their waitlist is freaking insane, and I'm sure you'll have great success next cycle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/21/2018 at 5:37 AM, Duns Eith said:

Sorry to hear. :(

You gonna apply next year?

 

On 4/21/2018 at 10:58 PM, GuanilosIsland said:

I hope that isn't getting you too down. The fact you got on their waitlist is freaking insane, and I'm sure you'll have great success next cycle.

Thanks friends. :) I won't pretend to not be disappointed, but I Skyped in with NYU the day before the deadline, and even though I didn't get in in the end, it was very encouraging (apparently I'd had a much better chance of getting in off the waitlist than I had realized, and was very much in the running at that point). So my inclination is to apply again next cycle, though of course I will first want to inform and consult with my letter-writers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.