SIPA scholarship negotiation

Prester John

Guys,

Now that it’s almost the end of February, I think it’s the right time to ask for more funding at SIPA for the early admits. I had received 80k for 2 years. But coming from a public sector background and planning to go back to the sector, the cost of attendance is still unaffordable for me. I had sent a mail to their financial aid office yesterday to which they replied it won’t be possible to give any more aid that what is already given right now but I can apply for assistantships in the second year. Anyone else tried reaching out?

11 hours ago, nepravilniybuterbrod said:

I have not heard about funding and I got in EA. My impression is many others are in this boat. Hopefully they deliver.

Yup I'm expecting we'll hear about $$$ officially when they send out the regular round admissions results for everyone else, so mid-March. 

I got into MPA mid-career EPM (Economic Policy Management). I really like the program since it is a one year MPA in an Ivy League in the heart of New York. What is shocking though is that I got zero scholarship. I come from an underdeveloped country and arranging 117,000 USD is next to impossible. I tried talking to them but they denied any fellowships. Can anyone please suggest any sourced where I can try my luck for a scholarship. 

I have not received my result for the two year MPA at Columbia. Fingers crossed. 

On 2/23/2018 at 3:23 AM, Prester John said:

Guys,

Now that it’s almost the end of February, I think it’s the right time to ask for more funding at SIPA for the early admits. I had received 80k for 2 years. But coming from a public sector background and planning to go back to the sector, the cost of attendance is still unaffordable for me. I had sent a mail to their financial aid office yesterday to which they replied it won’t be possible to give any more aid that what is already given right now but I can apply for assistantships in the second year. Anyone else tried reaching out?

Hello You may try waiving off credit for some of the courses you have already studued. It might help somehow. 

• 3 weeks later...

After perusing grad cafe at great length, I've never heard of SIPA granting a request for further aid. Their general response tends to be that they offer more aid than they are able to give with the assumption that some folks will choose other schools, and are therefore already "overextended." I personally consider that bullshit, but it seems to be consistent bullshit.

21 minutes ago, yellina122 said:

After perusing grad cafe at great length, I've never heard of SIPA granting a request for further aid. Their general response tends to be that they offer more aid than they are able to give with the assumption that some folks will choose other schools, and are therefore already "overextended." I personally consider that bullshit, but it seems to be consistent bullshit.

Amen on the BS. 

I sent an e-mail to the Financial Aid Office last Friday and they have just answered me. They said that those who want to appeal their funding amount must fill a form by April 9. The problem is that they will respond after April 15. So, I would have to pay the enrollment fee to secure my place before knowing my final financial aid package, which sounds a bit odd.

In my particular case, I received some funding from SIPA and secured some more from external sources. All I need now to attend SIPA is a 50% increase in the scholarship amount I was originally offered. Does anyone have an opinion about how realistic is this request? I do not have any other award letter so far, as I have only applied to SIPA and HKS.

Edited by xxx1232

7 minutes ago, xxx1232 said:

I sent an e-mail to the Financial Aid Office last Friday and they have just answered me. They said that those who want to appeal their funding amount must fill a form by April 9. The problem is that they will respond after April 15. So, I would have to pay the enrollment fee to secure my place before knowing my final financial aid package, which sounds a bit odd.

In my particular case, I received some funding from SIPA and secured some more from external sources. All I need now to attend SIPA is a 50% increase in the scholarship amount I was originally offered. Does anyone have an opinion about how realistic is this request? I do not have any other award letter so far, as I have only applied to SIPA and HKS.

Not to be cheeky, but it obviously depends on what the base level of that 50% increase. 5 to 10k annually is much easier to get than 10 to 20 k, and so on...

24 minutes ago, xxx1232 said:

The  additional amount I intend to request is between 12 and 18k per year...

Sounds like a lot, but maybe your profile is strong enough to make it work. I'm also requesting much more aid at Harris (or will once these decisions come in).

Edited by lackey
unintentional pun

I read somewhere on the previous' posts that someone managed to increase her funding from 50k to 70k. I have yet seen any posts from people who successfully secure funding from 0 though. Still there is hope ... In my case, I am hoping to get 10k per year increase which seems highly unlikely atm.

Hi guys, been lurking in this forum for the past couple of days now just to see how everyone is doing. I'm currently a SIPA student, in the MPA-ESP program. When I requested for more funding, they doubled my financial aid. My understanding though is that the ESP program operates separately from the rest of SIPA. However, it doesn't hurt to try.

On 3/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, xxx1232 said:

Do you know where this form can be found?

I think we should encourage everyone not going to reject their offers early on so that scholarships can be extended to those who need it more and are planning on going. I'm turning down 43k/year at Columbia tomorrow so I hope it opens up for someone else. Good luck. 

Hi all, I'm on the same boat as many of you - admitted but with no student aid! :/

Going thru the email on financial aid am I correct in understanding that there are no opportunities to work as teaching, research or graduate assistants in the first year at SIPA? Meaning that the only aid is through either SIPA or outside scholarships, or loans. 

Seems weird to me that they don't need students even for administrative work.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, the deposit deadline is fast approaching and I guess many of you have already submitted the deposit. But for anyone who is still debating about whether or not to attend the school due to financial reasons and therefore, have not submitted their deposits, I highly recommend you to give the finaid team a call TODAY. I dropped them an email on Monday, explaining my situation and why I was hesitant to pay the deposit fee. To my  surprise, I was notified that I received additional funding yesterday. Needless to say, I dropped everything and submitted my deposit. Anyway, I hope my good news would be helpful for someone.

Lastly, I just want to say thank you to you all on this forum for making my journey application less lonesome. I am more of a silent observer but always appreciate the fact that everyone is always so open about their concerns and so helpful with their advice. I hope to see you all this autumn :)

Edited by trang

10 hours ago, mrleighton said:

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard back from SIPA about the financial aid appeal status?

I heard on Wednesday! My total offer was originally $24k total, but SIPA actually ended up nearly doubling it to $44k total. So don't lose hope y'all!