Declining Offers 2018

Theodore8

3 hours ago, BL16 said:

I declined offers from Ohio State, Northwestern, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Yale, Princeton, Harvard and Michigan, and I removed myself from Columbia's waitlist.

My AOI is phil of langauge.

This can really help me. Many thanks for this.

14 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

That's incredible! Congrats. Again, if I may, what was your sample on?

Thanks!

I argued that Stalnaker's solution to the problem of deduction in Inquiry seems plausible only when it is kept ambiguous between semantic and syntactic readings. I also tried to show that such ambiguity is kind of pervasive, and that Field's conception of mental content and Priest's conception of impossible worlds suffer from similar problems.

Edited by BL16

2 hours ago, BL16 said:

I don't know yet. I have offers from Rutgers, USC, UCLA and Oxford, and I'm on MIT's waitlist.

Just out of curiosity, what's the appeal of UCLA, Oxford, and MIT if you've got offers from Rutgers and USC? Given your AOI, it seems like eliminating those others would be a no-brainer.

42 minutes ago, bridgephil said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the appeal of UCLA, Oxford, and MIT if you've got offers from Rutgers and USC? Given your AOI, it seems like eliminating those others would be a no-brainer.

I'm not sure I agree Rutgers and USC are so much better than UCLA, Oxford and MIT phil-of-lang-wise that I can eliminate the latter easily, although the former are higher on my list at the moment. Also, although my AOI is obviously a very important factor in choosing a grad school, there are other factors that play a role in my decision, such as the graduate program, the other strengths of the department and the placement record.

If anyone plans to decline an offer at Fordham, or to remove him/herself from the waitlist there, please, holla atcha boy, as it would be an awesome fit for me, and I am high on their waitlist myself. Thank you.

Edited by Needle In The Hay

4 hours ago, Needle In The Hay said:

If anyone plans to decline an offer at Fordham, or to remove him/herself from the waitlist there, please, holla atcha boy, as it would be an awesome fit for me, and I am high on their waitlist myself. Thank you.

Hey, Needle... I don't have plans yet. If Boston College, SLU, and three MA programs would get back to me, I could come closer to a decision. I will say that I'm inclined to accept Fordham's offer, but not totally set on it.

I'm still not sure why they accepted me. My writing sample was not very good, by professional standards (though it did demonstrate original thought). I only have a B.A., and that from a little-known liberal-arts university. I do have teaching experience and a decent GRE, as well as favorable letters, but still.

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Dasein said:

Hey, Needle... I don't have plans yet. If Boston College, SLU, and three MA programs would get back to me, I could come closer to a decision. I will say that I'm inclined to accept Fordham's offer, but not totally set on it.

Thanks for letting me know! If you don't mind keeping me posted with your decision, once you've made it, I'd really appreciate it. Good luck with the rest of your apps!

Going to be declining offers from NIU and Texas A&M this week. I was told I was high on the list for assistantships at NIU, so I hope this helps someone out.

I will also be removing myself from the waitlists at Indiana, U Miami, and U Texas - Austin this week. I was high enough on the waitlist at Indiana to be offered to visit, so hopefully someone else gets that opportunity!

Edited by Pythian