Declining Offers 2018

Theodore8

I've declined offers from University of Illinois at Chicago, University of Rochester (with fellowship), University of Iowa (fellowship), and Boston College. I've also taken myself off the waiting lists at Syracuse University, University of Washington, and Boston University.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:28 AM, syn said:

Surprised to hear you might decline the SLU waitlist, with Dan Haybron there (who is in your AOI and has experience getting a gigantic grant).  He's also INCREDIBLY nice.

I'm planning on accepting WUSTL's offer, and thus will be able to take classes at SLU as well---and I think I could have Haybron on my dissertation committee if I end up doing something on well-being. But yes, Haybron's great. 

21 hours ago, Needle In The Hay said:

I think Dan Haybron might be leaving. I should not say more, but anyone wanting to work with him should probably ask what his plans are first.

Shoot----that would be a big loss to SLU!  First I'm hearing about it. Not that I'm doubting you. But now I'm going to have to contact some peeps to confirm that this is in fact true. 

On 3/10/2018 at 10:32 PM, downwardabsolute said:

Just declined Western Michigan.

Cool, thanks (not that you did it for me). That's probably my top MA, and I was accepted but waitlisted for funding. Now to make a good impression at the visit days this weekend...

8 hours ago, Descartes blanche said:

Are you wishing you had applied to Ph.D. programs at this point?

A little bit, but honestly I wouldn't want to go to a PhD program yet if I could, I don't feel anywhere near prepared (I'll be graduating with math/physics, not philosophy).

I have decided to go to Villanova. 

Just declined University of South Florida and Duquesne. Will be sending out an email to Kentucky soon.  

1 hour ago, Arendtlover said:

Somebody declined or is planning to decline DePaul? I am in waitlist and it's my top choice!

They removed me from the waitlist, so if you're still on the list, that's probably a good sign!

17 hours ago, iunoionnis said:

I have decided to go to Villanova. 

Just declined University of South Florida and Duquesne. Will be sending out an email to Kentucky soon.  

They removed me from the waitlist, so if you're still on the list, that's probably a good sign!

thank you for the update! Did they interview you?