Declining Offers 2018

Theodore8

46 minutes ago, BL16 said:

Although I withdrew my application a few days ago, I received an email saying I was waitlisted at UNC. I asked to remove myself from the list.

UNC got in touch with you recently??

I've just declined FSU, removed myself from waitlists at SLU, Fordham, and Ave Maria (Theology), and withdrawn my applications from the University of Dallas and the University of Saint Thomas, Houston.

All were PhD programs.

I hope this helps someone.

I know of a few applicants who have declined either their offer or waitlist spot at UW-Seattle. I'm wondering whether anyone knows of any movement on that waitlist. Judging from gradcafe alone, it appears that no such movement has taken place, but that doesn't seem quite right given how far we are in the season. Thoughts? 

50 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

I know of a few applicants who have declined either their offer or waitlist spot at UW-Seattle. I'm wondering whether anyone knows of any movement on that waitlist. Judging from gradcafe alone, it appears that no such movement has taken place, but that doesn't seem quite right given how far we are in the season. Thoughts? 

I'm in the same boat with several of my wait lists. Some schools add a person at a time as people decline, and some do it all at once, and they are not guaranteed to do it right away. So unfortunately we just have to be a bit patient. This might come down to the wire for many of us.

On 4/1/2018 at 7:32 PM, shadowyBeing said:

I'm one of the folks with an offer from UW-Seattle. I'm probably going to be accepting by the end of the week at the latest (I'm waitlisted at a few places but I think I'd still pick UW over the other places).

I believe that they're aiming for a cohort of 4(?) and I think  at least one other person from the folks that visited will accept their offer. I'm not sure about the other two folks since I know they had offers elsewhere as well.

9 minutes ago, MtnDuck said:

I'm one of the folks with an offer from UW-Seattle. I'm probably going to be accepting by the end of the week at the latest (I'm waitlisted at a few places but I think I'd still pick UW over the other places).

I believe that they're aiming for a cohort of 4(?) and I think  at least one other person from the folks that visited will accept their offer. I'm not sure about the other two folks since I know they had offers elsewhere as well.

Thank you for this information. 4 seems like a rather low cohort, and would be very unfortunate for my chances. Did they say so explicitly?

48 minutes ago, shadowyBeing said:

Thank you for this information. 4 seems like a rather low cohort, and would be very unfortunate for my chances. Did they say so explicitly?

Explicitly, no. But it did sound like everyone who was initially offered was visiting (which was four of us) and at no point was anyone else mentioned as not being able to visit, someone else we should know about who might be a future colleague in the program, etc. :/