OGS Results 2018-2019

FM8

Didn't get OGS at YorkU (Linguistics program), in case anyone's waiting to hear from them... Punctured my confidence a bit but no biggie as I'm not going there anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2018 at 3:49 PM, FM8 said:

Didn't get OGS at YorkU (Linguistics program), in case anyone's waiting to hear from them... Punctured my confidence a bit but no biggie as I'm not going there anyway :)

UPDATE: Just got offered OGS at YorkU...guess they changed their mind (?). Either way, will be turning it down as I'm not going there, so for anybody waitlisted in the Linguistics program, there is hope! Gosh, I wanna get off the waitlist at uOttawa so bad! :'(

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/1/2018 at 5:28 PM, SocSciQ said:

Waitlisted. Which I frankly do not understand. How can I be waitlisted for SSHRC-D, which I assume is more competitive, and also waitlisted for OGS?!

I think OGS is more competitive than in previous years. At my school I received a CGS-M off the waitlist, but was still on the waitlist for OGS.

Could be that OGS is also open to non-research graduate degrees, thus a bigger pool of competition and different scoring criteria?

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Benefit said:

Any movement on the waitlist for uOttawa? 

I was waitlisted at uOttawa, but have withdrawn from the graduate program so I am no longer on the waitlist. I have not heard of any movement for OGS... perhaps OGS recipients are less likely (on average) to decline the award? I hope you get some movement!

10 hours ago, Benefit said:

Any movement on the waitlist for uOttawa? 

I'm still waitlisted at uOttawa too, and haven't heard anything yet...Hopefully we both hear something (good) soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello  guys,

I applied for OGS 2018-2019 and I received an email from my university's school of graduate studies  last month saying that I was nominated by my department, and they needed some additional information to confirm my eligibility and I am wondering what does this mean in terms of being awarded or not? Maybe someone can give me a clue whether he/she received such an email and whether they were awarded the scholarship or not?

Hi Elmora,

Generally speaking, I would treat confirmation from the SGS as just a formality if you’ve been nominated by your department. The process at UofT (for Social Work) was slightly different than what you’re describing. I received an email from the department saying I had been recommended in May, and in early June, I received an email from the SGS asking me to complete the eligibility step, which was just a simple form that asked for only the most basic of information (it was so general and brief, I can’t even remember any specific details). After filling out the form, I received an automated email saying that official confirmation of awards would be mid-July, after confirmation of the eligibility info I had provided. All to say, my understanding would be that you’ve been awarded OGS and are just awaiting official confirmation!!

20 hours ago, Elmora said:

Hello  guys,

I applied for OGS 2018-2019 and I received an email from my university's school of graduate studies  last month saying that I was nominated by my department, and they needed some additional information to confirm my eligibility and I am wondering what does this mean in terms of being awarded or not? Maybe someone can give me a clue whether he/she received such an email and whether they were awarded the scholarship or not?

53 minutes ago, cat_not_kitty said:

Hi Elmora,

Generally speaking, I would treat confirmation from the SGS as just a formality if you’ve been nominated by your department. The process at UofT (for Social Work) was slightly different than what you’re describing. I received an email from the department saying I had been recommended in May, and in early June, I received an email from the SGS asking me to complete the eligibility step, which was just a simple form that asked for only the most basic of information (it was so general and brief, I can’t even remember any specific details). After filling out the form, I received an automated email saying that official confirmation of awards would be mid-July, after confirmation of the eligibility info I had provided. All to say, my understanding would be that you’ve been awarded OGS and are just awaiting official confirmation!!

Thanks a lot @cat_not_kitty. That's the impression I got from the email I received since they mentioned that I have been recommended by my graduate unit "pending final confirmation of eligibility by the School of Graduate Studies". However, I won't get my hopes up till I receive an official letter since my application status on SGS is just "received" not recommended. My understanding is that it's announced around mid-July at UofT, is that an exact date tho?

I think it's completely safe to get your hopes up, but I totally get wanting to be cautious ☺️. That's odd re your SGS application status – mine changed to "Recommended" the day I got the email from my graduate unit. When you go to the application website, does the button that used to say "Apply for OGS" now say "View OGS result"? Either way, sounds like it's just a technical oversight if you got the email from the SGS requesting eligibility info.

Back in May, when I received the nomination email, I was wondering the same thing as you – how excited can I be right now? I posted about it over on the Canadian MSW Applicants 2018 Waiting Game topic and a forum user who was going into her second year and who had received OGS in her first year confirmed that she had received an email from the social work department in May, request for eligibility info from SGS in June, and then official confirmation mid-July. 

4 hours ago, Elmora said:

Thanks a lot @cat_not_kitty. That's the impression I got from the email I received since they mentioned that I have been recommended by my graduate unit "pending final confirmation of eligibility by the School of Graduate Studies". However, I won't get my hopes up till I receive an official letter since my application status on SGS is just "received" not recommended. My understanding is that it's announced around mid-July at UofT, is that an exact date tho?

I'm loath to make that call, Btt112169, but I do know that the deadline for graduate units to notify SGS of their nominations was June 1st. What does your application status say?

On 7/6/2018 at 4:48 PM, cat_not_kitty said:

I think it's completely safe to get your hopes up, but I totally get wanting to be cautious ☺️. That's odd re your SGS application status – mine changed to "Recommended" the day I got the email from my graduate unit. When you go to the application website, does the button that used to say "Apply for OGS" now say "View OGS result"? Either way, sounds like it's just a technical oversight if you got the email from the SGS requesting eligibility info.

Back in May, when I received the nomination email, I was wondering the same thing as you – how excited can I be right now? I posted about it over on the Canadian MSW Applicants 2018 Waiting Game topic and a forum user who was going into her second year and who had received OGS in her first year confirmed that she had received an email from the social work department in May, request for eligibility info from SGS in June, and then official confirmation mid-July. 

Thanks again @cat_not_kitty, the button that used to say "Apply for OGS" does now say "View OGS result" so that's why I doubted it but anyway we are almost a week away from knowing the final results, so let's hope for the best! :) 

@cat_not_kitty My application still says received. I emailed my department twice since June 1st and no one has responded. My supervisor is also the chair of the awards committee at the department level and I haven't gotten any response ?Anyways, thanks for the information and the best of luck!!

On 7/17/2018 at 12:15 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

Hello,

I am a Quebec resident and will be applying to U of Ottawa for Fall 2019. I am applying for Vanier, Trudeau & SSHRC. Should I apply to OGS too ? 

Honest question is why not? It’s a relatively short application to prepare (compared to the other awards you are going for), is competitive and merit based. So even if you decline it that can still go on your CV as a declined award. :) 

• 8 months later...
On 5/2/2018 at 12:32 PM, eternallyephemeral said:

Just declined an OGS at Western, hopefully it goes to someone on the waitlist there!

What department are you in? I haven’t heard back yet but from what I hear people in my department (FIMs) don’t usually hear until late April/early May.

edit: just realized that was for last year and was in May. Oops ?

Edited by displaynamesarehard