Oh, The Places You'll Go! (Decisions 2018)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself  any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...B)

So: Where are you going? What factors are influencing your final decision? What criteria for assessing the best fit have emerged during this decision making process? How are you sharing your decisions with programs, family,  employers, and that old psychic woman from the results thread? 

Edited by EspritHabile

I'm super happy to see this thread even though I am nowhere near making a decision. I'm really counting on visits to push me one way or another and might be coming back to this thread later to ask for some decision-making advice. 

Looking forward to seeing where everyone chooses to go and a BIG congrats to everyone for making it to this point in the process! 

10 minutes ago, Pezpoet said:

I've officially accepted at Pitt! It was my top choice, so I felt confident signing on the dotted line before a visit. Now I'm reading up, looking at apartments, and gearing up for a biggie transition this summer. Wut wut!

Congratulations! That's so exciting. I have some good friends who live there, so let me know if you would like to connect with some potential scouts.

27 minutes ago, Pezpoet said:

I've officially accepted at Pitt! It was my top choice, so I felt confident signing on the dotted line before a visit. Now I'm reading up, looking at apartments, and gearing up for a biggie transition this summer. Wut wut!

It makes me feel better to hear that others are accepting before the visit, since we plan to do that. It's better than waiting it out for us since I'd like to apply for/look at housing while we are there. OH AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Edited by punctilious

I'm leaning heavily towards Michigan right now. I'll probably wait until visiting to accept, but I feel like it's the best for my long-term personal goals. It's hard, because UCSB has the people I most want to work with, but living there would be tough financially, the job placement isn't as good, and I'd have to be in a long-term relationship for 3+ years instead of 9 months. Also I'm so worried about moving across the country! Still, I'm really excited about Ann Arbor in general. 

How early should I move? I'm an international student so I will be planning ahead to a certain extent (visa prep etc), but I wouldn't don't want to arrive at the university two months ahead of time. I'd like some time to find an apartment, maybe find a used car, and in addition, I'll have to set up a bank account, driver's license, buy a phone etc. Would moving mid to late July be too late? 

:) Happy decision-making everyone!

32 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

Congratulations on having made your decision! So wonderful!

46 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Congrats @punctilious' husband!!!! Exciting times for both of you! :)

Thank you so much! We debated waiting for the visit day and visiting other schools, but considering it was his dream program and has the best funding and likely the best chances for him to land a gig in the UK/EU, we figured there's no reason to delay! Already submitted our housing application so things are in motion!

4 hours ago, punctilious said:

Husband officially accepted Harvard's offer! I'm so excited!!!

Congratulations on being officially Harvard bound! Since you've already got your job settled and your future housing rolling, (not surprising - I knew from the start you were an overachiever from your spreadsheets haha) you can focus all of your energy on the roadtrip itinerary. Might I suggest a detour into Philadelphia? Come for our history, stay for our mostly-not-haunted prisons. 

10 minutes ago, LexHex said:

I've been iced out by UCSB and UCR --- sooooo I think I'll be taking my offer from Howard University, tuition remission, with a stipend, so that works with me!

Congratulations!! I LOVE the DC area and hear that Howard is fantastic!

3 hours ago, LexHex said:

I've been iced out by UCSB and UCR --- sooooo I think I'll be taking my offer from Howard University, tuition remission, with a stipend, so that works with me!

Congrats!! That's an excellent offer from Howard. Plus, every time I turn on my TV Chadwick Boseman is on and he's an alumni so I think that's a sign. 

11 hours ago, LexHex said:

Congratulations! So much access to libraries and archives in DC! 

53 minutes ago, ancientqueen said:

I officially accepted at Syracuse on Thursday! I couldn’t be more excited. 

Congratulations! :) I'd be happy to share my knowledge about the city of Syracuse if you have any questions. 

3 hours ago, Warelin said:

Congratulations! So much access to libraries and archives in DC! 

Wow. I did not even think about that. Even relative proximity to NY and the Schomberg. 

44 minutes ago, LexHex said:

Wow. I did not even think about that. Even relative proximity to NY and the Schomberg. 

Same for all the ones in/near Philly, NJ, VA, MD, & DE. If archival research is your jam, being coastal must be nice.