Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lulu

Advice on Deciding

Recommended Posts

I'm in something of an unusual (or maybe not so unusual) position. I have pretty much given up hope on any outstanding schools -- it's March, let's get real: if I haven't heard from them by now, it just means the rejection letter is in the mail. So, I have some offers to choose from, but here's the problem: none of the schools were my top choice, and none were my "best fit," especially for what I specifically want to do. Next week I'm going for a visit at one of my choices (choice by default, really), and, quite frankly, the only other offer I have that comes close on my list to a viable option didn't offer me an expenses-paid campus visit. (I think I might have to spring for this one). I'm at that point where, quite frankly, I don't know which school would be better, simply because my initial criteria is shot -- advisor, department, school strenghts, and resources. Can't use those, really, except perhaps in a modified fashion. Aside maybe from the intellectual environment at both schools, how do I even begin to weigh the pros and cons of each institution? Does anyone have any good advice on how to decide schools if they weren't your top choices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Visit the other school, even if you have to pay for it. It's the only good way to educate yourself on how you'd like being there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i guess i would definitely try to visit the schools and interact with the profs and students there (like you are already trying to do now). i would try to see whether there are any profs there who are doing the kind of stuff i'm interested in, coz sometimes what they are really doing are a little bit different from what their websites describe. or i would try to see whether there is a really prominent prof there (huge reputation, large network with other big names in the field, supporting students, willingness to help students find good jobs) and see whether i could work with him/her. that's just my personal opinion.

or if you really want to go to a top school, take a couple more years off and strengthen your resume/CV. then apply again.

but there's still hope, honestly. big offers might still be waiting for you. many overachievers have a bunch of offers in their hands now, and some won't decline those offers till just before April 15. some offers (not many though) will come out around that time i suspect. but anyways, keep showing your interest in those school that admit you or give you offers. that's at least what i would do. let's hear what other people say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest vbrooksutk

Don't feel so dejected simply because it is March. Most of my schools told me they would BEGIN sending out notifications in March. In fact, I have only heard from 2 of my 7 schools - one in the last week of Feb. and one on March 3rd. So try holding out before panicking...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest dookie.
i guess i would definitely try to visit the schools and interact with the profs and students there (like you are already trying to do now). i would try to see whether there are any profs there who are doing the kind of stuff i'm interested in, coz sometimes what they are really doing are a little bit different from what their websites describe. or i would try to see whether there is a really prominent prof there (huge reputation, large network with other big names in the field, supporting students, willingness to help students find good jobs) and see whether i could work with him/her. that's just my personal opinion.

or if you really want to go to a top school, take a couple more years off and strengthen your resume/CV. then apply again.

but there's still hope, honestly. big offers might still be waiting for you. many overachievers have a bunch of offers in their hands now, and some won't decline those offers till just before April 15. some offers (not many though) will come out around that time i suspect. but anyways, keep showing your interest in those school that admit you or give you offers. that's at least what i would do. let's hear what other people say.

This is sound advice. Keep courting those who have offered. Good luck! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest
Don't feel so dejected simply because it is March. Most of my schools told me they would BEGIN sending out notifications in March. In fact, I have only heard from 2 of my 7 schools - one in the last week of Feb. and one on March 3rd. So try holding out before panicking...

Yeah, same with mine. The better institutions, often, will send them out later because they don't need to entice you by sending them out earlier to get you to start thinkining -- they're confident in their strength, that they can send them out pretty close to the graduate response deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your advice, everyone.

Actually, I think I've solved my problem -- I fell in love with the school, the program, and the faculty after my campus visit. Of course, I'm going to take two weeks so that the euphoria can wear off, and also so I can talk to the students at the other school(s) about the other programs before I make my final decision. I found what seems to be the "best fit" purely by accident, so I'm definitely not feeling dejected anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest guest

Hey lulu,

Which school and program were you talking about? Btw, how great you really loved it...I wish I went to see my schools too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.